NFR NFC 2017 - The friendly thread for lovely people

Quark

15 hours ago, Woffy said:

Lovely people,

Any guitar players / experts out there?

Favourite (i.e. only) son, 16, wants to upgrade his guitar this Christmas and has asked for a Telecaster. To which I have replied (after looking online):

"Get to fuck, Alex, they cost a fucking fortune!"

I'm paraphrasing. 

His Christmas money and part time job pay notwithstanding, anyone got any ideas for lessening the cost? 

I have no clue in this area!

HELP!!!!!!!

Ah. It will be mine.

Your choices are limited Woffy.

1. Piano Lessons

2. Sell a kidney

3. Admit you don't love him as much as you thought

4. Get him a Glastonbury ticket in the resale instead

9. Pablo Honey

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

28 minutes ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

Ah. It will be mine.

1. Piano Lessons

2. Sell a kidney

9. Pablo Honey

:lol:

I'd go with Stu's suggestion Woffy, got a Squier Strat and sounds good enough for me!

Hope the weekend improved Trevethin. Hate those nights when you're on a promise but can't be arsed, fingers crossed it was worth the drive.

Glad you had a good time in NY Yeti, one on the list of places to go for me.

Beautiful clear and cold day down here. Been crafting a shin of beef casserole this morning, just going to let that bubble away for another 5 hours or so and it'll be ready after coming in from a walk!

Only problem is I've been listening to Radiohead while cooking, so I'm worried the port and thyme might be overwhelmed by the existential melancholy...

Edited by Quark

16 minutes ago, Quark said:

Beautiful clear and cold day down here. Been crafting a shin of beef casserole this morning, just going to let that bubble away for another 5 hours or so and it'll be ready after coming in from a walk!

Only problem is I've been listening to Radiohead while cooking, so I'm worried the port and thyme might be overwhelmed by the existential melancholy...

Put some S Club 7 on next, should balance it out! 

Sounds delicious, by the way :)

I've got the joys of baking a cake with a 3 year old planned for this afternoon. Gumby Jr has picked toffee apple cake to make for his Nanny's birthday tomorrow. Nothing quite like trying to follow important steps in a recipe with a small child for testing your ocd tendencies!

You have my sympathy  Gumby, periodically I take leave of my senses and think "won't it be lovely to do some baking with the boys" 10 minutes in, flour everywhere, the 2 of them trying to crack eggs over each others heads, I end up shouting "Just let me do it!" Tell them they can play on the x box and crack open the wine to console myself whilst spending several hours cleaning up the mess.  

4 hours ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

Ah. It will be mine.

1. Piano Lessons

2. Sell a kidney

9. Pablo Honey

My internal organs must all be Walking Dead style rancid by now. No one would want one of these kidneys. 

I'll just buy him a copy of Pablo Honey for Christmas. 

Other thing, Woffy - I would take him down to a guitar shop to buy the axe. Given that guitars are all basically the same thing, it really comes down to how it feels and sounds. He may think he wants a Tele, but your local shop will probably have at least a couple that sound quite different to each other.

Also if possible, get the shop to let him try it out on an amp similar to his current amp (or one he plans to get one day).

2 hours ago, lucyginger said:

Morning! 

Penguins? What did I miss?! 

A cameraman on the new David Attenborough series compared a gathering of penguins to a crowd at Glastonbury. Interesting show actually, I've never found myself shouting encouragement to a baby iguana on telly before!

1 minute ago, mr gumby said:

A cameraman on the new David Attenborough series compared a gathering of penguins to a crowd at Glastonbury. Interesting show actually, I've never found myself shouting encouragement to a baby iguana on telly before!

I did wonder!

So how did the baking go Gumballs?

2 minutes ago, Quark said:

I did wonder!

So how did the baking go Gumballs?

Pretty good thanks, Quark. The kitchen's still standing, so I'd say that's a fair result! I'm not partaking myself, staying home to have a bit of a break from parenting duties after a long weekend doing it all solo, but I just had a text from Mrs gumby to say everyone's enjoying the cake :)

59 minutes ago, mr gumby said:

Ah! I might have to watch that on iplayer! 

1 hour ago, lucyginger said:

Ah! I might have to watch that on iplayer! 

We missed it too.  Everyone's been talking about iguanas :huh:

Saturday night was OK. ish. In the end. Done and dusted anyway.

Gorgeous day here today, crisp and cold, bright blue sky. Have at last finished sanding the outside chairs etc. Woop, woop ! 

3 hours ago, trevethin said:

We missed it too.  Everyone's been talking about iguanas :huh:

Saturday night was OK. ish. In the end. Done and dusted anyway.

Gorgeous day here today, crisp and cold, bright blue sky. Have at last finished sanding the outside chairs etc. Woop, woop ! 

Ah who says Devonians don't know how to have a good time!

I also missed the iguanas,  having gone to the theatre for an evening of peri-menopausal ranting with Jenny Eclair.  Best was the c*nting bunting:  we were all given a triangular piece of card on which to write the thing that pisses us off the most, and Jenny read the best out.  Some very rude responses indeed.

Glad cake, casserole, NYC, guitar advice and hopefully life in general are all being good.

15 minutes ago, mr gumby said:

Not too shabby, thanks Guy. How's things with you?

Okish old son . . Had my bladder op and will be able to have a drink again soon (with out pissing pain lol ) got that pip thing coming up and have been looking into it and it sounds more like the Spanish inquesion . . . . . Not a single person has a good word to say about it . . I wasn't worried about it but am now . Got doctors tomo so will be bringing it up with her . . . . .