A note about car parks, security and mud

Bonneville88

Hi all, I don't comment on here an awful lot but I do visit regularly. This was my second Glastonbury - my first was last year and probably the best 5 days of my life. This year, not so much.

Now, just to clarify, I didn't have a bad time, per se - however there were several issues I feel that could be improved. Firstly, the car parks.

My group were lucky to avoid the Wednesday traffic, we found a way to miss the ridiculous queues and get straight into the site, even when Twitter told us to put the car keys back down. This was good. What wasn't bloody good was the complete lack of car park management on Monday. 

We started our car at 1045 and made about 5 yards in 4 hours. This distance was only achieved due to an AA van asking us to move out the way. The problem was obvious - a constant stream of people returning to their cars which were parked closer to the exit, joining the queue at all sorts of places and directions ahead of us despite arriving at the car much later. There has to be more control. Why was the road we entered the car park from suddenly blocked by a gate? Surely the more exits the better? There were literally no stewards anywhere near us to tell us what was going on. It wasn't until we moved through a gap in the hedge (out of Pink West 52) that we were able to cut across the car park and force our way to the front of the queue. A steward (at least one was present!) told us we couldn't circumvent the queue as people were getting impatient. He soon changed his tune when we told him we'd not moved in 4 hours. We were out of the site about 5 minutes after this. 

Some of the security staff need to relax a bit. I headed back to my tent in Pennards to grab a jumper on the Friday evening, only to be approached by a steward acting suspiciously and asking, 'what are you doing here? This isn't your tent'. I explained that I was grabbing some things from my tent and continued to do just that, only for him to pull me back by the arm and refuse to let go. I admit, I panicked. What if this guy was an imposter looking to cause trouble? Maybe an overly-dramatic thought but I'd just had an argument over the phone and wasn't in the best frame of mind. I tried to pull away and fell in the mud. He wouldn't let go. After what seemed like a lifetime, he realised it WAS my tent and let me go on about my business. I can only assume he thought I was going around thieving from other peoples' tents but this aggressive approach is absolutely bang out of order and I wasn't even given a chance. I know it isn't their fault but I'd like to thank the nearby campers who told this guy that they didn't recognise me from the campsite, without sensibly adding that the reason for this might be because we weren't camped together.

I also saw stewards pouring peoples' own booze away if they brought it into the Kasbah - doesn't really take that much effort to ask them to stand outside, does it?

Now I know you get the occasional dickhead at Glastonbury and I'm delighted that security staff and police exist at the site to deal with those who need dealing with, but the rest of us just want to have a good time, not cause trouble and deserve to be shown a bit more respect.

OK, so the mud is unavoidable but thought I'd include it as something else to be pissed off about <_<.

Rest assured, I'll still see you next year.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Bonneville88 said:

...I also saw stewards pouring peoples' own booze away if they brought it into the Kasbah - doesn't really take that much effort to ask them to stand outside, does it? ...

When was this?  I did't go there this year, but to hear of any bar doing this is unusual.

they stopped us taking our own beers in chameleon , we were actually going to the bar and were finishing cans off but didn't take it off us etc... just told us to go outside until we finished it .fair enough... , if they had tried to take to take it off us they woulda been wearing it first ! ... I've done a few glastos now, have to agree security are becoming more heavy handed ! maybe its cos the nobheads are increasing at the festival?  i did chat too many stewards and security though during my week that were spot on and very friendly but lots seemed to be hating the fact they were there ! shouldn't really be taking there career choices out on us festival goers !

6 minutes ago, myers said:

they stopped us taking our own beers in chameleon , we were actually going to the bar and were finishing cans off but didn't take it off us etc...

Is that the one near Silver Hayes (on the road between the "Other" stage & towards "The Beat Hotel" way?  On the right if leaving Other?

Was it during the day, or later?

Have to say I've never had it happen to me, and would be interested in the times of people it happens too - I tend to be an earlier sort of person though.

Saw the own alcohol thing happen in both Chameleon and Kasbah!  The security were really heavy handed in both places.  I get they want to make a profit - they must pay an absolute fortune for their pitches.  There is a way to do things though and being such narky arses isn't the way

Oh, and saw it both during the day and early evening at both places

Edited by Digi

it was about 9pm on saturday before we were heading out for new order on the other stage ....  there were `2 security guys in there.... one was from manchester same as me , he was alright wen he spoke to us but made it clear we had to take our beers out.... other guy was a massive fat fella... proper horrible with 666 tatted on his head ! hahaha... he kept hassling a young lad who was sleeping while sat on one ov the benches ! .threw him out eventually , . we couldn't understand why they didn't just leave him be... it wasn't busy and there was plenty of seats..just a nobhead basically.. . no its the one kinda in-between the walk from pyramid to the other i think... defo not near beat hotel etc

Just now, Digi said:

Saw the own alcohol thing happen in both Chameleon and Kasbah!  The security were really heavy handed in both places.  I get they want to make a profit - they must pay an absolute fortune for their pitches.  There is a way to do things though and being such narky arses isn't the way

Perhaps it was just those places?

I didn't go to Kasbah this year, but last year (or was it the year before?) it was very popular due to the seating setup.  Maybe they felt it was time to try and stop people sitting around but not buying their product?  I guess the mud doesn't help.  I think the seating vs use issue must vex many a bar owner.

Just now, EasyUserName said:

Perhaps it was just those places?

I didn't go to Kasbah this year, but last year (or was it the year before?) it was very popular due to the seating setup.  Maybe they felt it was time to try and stop people sitting around but not buying their product?  I guess the mud doesn't help.  I think the seating vs use issue must vex many a bar owner.

They are both owned by the same people and yeah, I completely understand their reasoning.  I just think they could have handled it a bit better.  

I love Kasbah during the day and Chameleon is always great early evening.  Wasn't as much of a problem at Chameleon as most people were all sat outside anyway but it was a big issue in Kasbah

3 minutes ago, Digi said:

They are both owned by the same people and yeah, I completely understand their reasoning.  I just think they could have handled it a bit better.  

I love Kasbah during the day and Chameleon is always great early evening.  Wasn't as much of a problem at Chameleon as most people were all sat outside anyway but it was a big issue in Kasbah

Was Kasbah still as I recall it?  Loads of floor space taken up by these seats that were set in the floor?

yeah i agree they have too make a profit etc....and also yes the mud made more people search for seating etc..  in general though the security are definitely getting more heavy handed .... witnessed lots off idiots around the south east corner....very heavy handed with people that are clearly intoxicated... lost... in very congested areas... etc etc, 

Not wanting to sound an arse here, but if that's the worst you've got to complain about, I reckon you've got off lightly.

4 hours to get out after leaving at peak time is probably par for the course. And while the security is a pain in the arse, I'd sooner have them being OTT around suspicious activity.

Had a few problems this year, but after reading some of the horror stories about what had happened in the CV fields and the queues on Tuesday and Wednesday, I quickly realised how trivial they were.

Regarding the car parks, its annoying yes, but its just the nature of car parks when a lot of people try and leave at once. I remember one christmas leaving Bluewater shopping centre last thing on a Sunday just as the shops shut, got stuck for about an hour for exactly the reason you describe, people returning to their cars parked nearer the exit and joining the queue ahead of you, it was gridlock but there is absolutely nothing that can be done, you cant have a steward at the end of every parking row telling people when they can join, its simply a case of leaving much earlier or much later than everybody else, or suck it up and accept you are part of the issue because you are trying to leave at the same time as everybody else wants to leave.

14 hours ago, Digi said:

Fuck 'em. Plenty of great places to go to without arsey security.

Edited by stuartbert two hats

Literally never ever had a problem getting out on Monday?

Get to the car every time between 10-11 and able to drive pretty much straight out, give or take 10 mins waiting to get out. 

This year W37, last year E10, previous years in the W30's. 

Just don't follow the tracks. Go around the grass to any exit. Plenty of gaps in the grass by that time as loads have already gone. 

I wonder how many stewards it would take to man every single car park , and stop people jumping in ? I think this not only would be impossible , how would you know if someone had joined earlier in a different car park , we left peak time , maybe jumped a few cars but didnt go past the entire queue to the field entrance , a few did , so what ?!! delayed us by an extra 10 mins maybe worth every second to get out after a fantastic festival , they reverse the trafic flows to send the pink carparks out on the wells road and the orange out onto the A361 part of the planning !!

We left pink car park Monday morning between 8/9 took us about 20 minutes max, we where lucky going in aswell didn't hit any traffic Wednesday.

In regards to security, think the only time I talked to any was in the SE Corner and they seemed to be having just as good time as the regular festival goers.

19 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I wonder how many stewards it would take to man every single car park , and stop people jumping in ?

The point is they're not jumping in, as the OP said, they're just joining the queue from where they've parked. Generally that means they had a longer walk to/from the gate; them's the breaks.

1 minute ago, budvar said:

The point is they're not jumping in, as the OP said, they're just joining the queue from where they've parked. Generally that means they had a longer walk to/from the gate; them's the breaks.

thats my point too :) perhaps I didnt explain clearly enough , although in every queue there will always be some jumpers