Leaving the Festival

bennyboi

18 minutes ago, mungo57 said:

we had a clear run of traffic all the way back to stonehenge then had to sit stock still in the van as nothing was moving for about an hour. Every time we got out to stretch our legs the traffic crawled forward! 

I hesitate to suggest this, otherwise everyone will do it but...

If you look at a map, you will see that you can fairly swiftly pop up, over and past the Stonehenge traffic jam, through Larkhill and Durrington. Easy peasy! 

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, JanieM28 said:

If you look at a map, you will see that you can fairly swiftly pop up, over and past the Stonehenge traffic jam, through Larkhill and Durrington. Easy peasy! 

legend.

Will bare this in mind. Have an upvote for your troubles!

49 minutes ago, JanieM28 said:

Where do you leave the 303 for that shortcut?  Usually the queues are back to the A36 at least, as I've escaped via Salisbury in the past. Do you head up to Warminster way and across Shrewton?

23 minutes ago, mungo57 said:

Your secret is safe with me

and the several thousand others that browse this web forum :P

22 minutes ago, MoilyX said:

Where do you leave the 303 for that shortcut?  Usually the queues are back to the A36 at least, as I've escaped via Salisbury in the past. Do you head up to Warminster way and across Shrewton?

There's been a leak!!! Must be a mole   :ph34r:

When we drove in 2014 we left at about lunchtime drove straight out of the car park and home via Glastonbury, Meare, Westhay and Mark to the M5 and barely sat in any traffic at all.  Don't know if this is typical but it may have been because we were in a distant pink car park - a bloody long walk!

Normally I am working until 12 noon on the Monday so depart after that- in 2010 and 2011 got out really quickly but in 2013 it was horrendous and ended up coming a route back that was just jam after jam.

This year I'm not working on the Monday but need to get back to Leeds by 6pm at the latest ideally so as can pick kids up as my wife is away so will probably have an early start and a sober Sunday.

Arriving on site on the Sunday before the festival I would imagine I get parked closer to the gates (Purple parking I think) but not sure if that will give me any advantage for getting out

We usually leave between 3 and 4am on Monday morning and are usually home traffic-free by 6am. However this year we're working till 12 on the Monday so I expect by the time we've had a good lunch and packed up the car we won't leave till mid to late afternoon - hopefully late enough to avoid the Glastonbury traffic and also miss rush hour in Trowbridge / Cirencester on the way back.

Personally I'd rather stay till Tuesday but MrP&aP isn't so keen, and he's the driver... ;)

12 hours ago, I feel like Pablo said:

stay as late as possible on Monday! some shops hand out freebies to those nearby (usually baps or leftover bread - not sure if this is true of the whole site but definitely true of pennard hill vendors for the past two years) and if it's a nice day there are always leftover gazebos to 'borrow' for shade. 

we normally leave around 5pm and there's no traffic or queues to get out and you get as much festival as possible! 

I can't imagine anything worse.

17 hours ago, cb4747 said:

In 2014 I made the mistake of waking up late and leaving at midday. It took 11 hours to get to Kent. Not only was Glastonbury traffic dire but also the m25! I always leave bright and early now and don't have problems

Hi @cb4747 - I'm also from Kent (nr Maidstone) and planning on leaving early Monday morning rather than Sunday night as previous. How early do you usually leave? Want to get a few hours kip but worried about getting caught on the M25 during Monday morning rush hour. Ta.

6 minutes ago, Steel city camper said:

I know this has been asked a few times but I don't think there's ever been a definite answer , can you stay Monday night and leave Tuesday? 

Fairly certain the answer is no - read it on here a few weeks back but can't remember where!

27 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

If the festival doesn't finish up until 4 or 5am on monday morning would ye not just sleep until later in the day and then leave?

Yes, but be aware that:

1) if you leave your tent unoccupied on Monday afternoon it's likely to be assumed abandoned and could be tatted

2) Depending on where you're camped security may well come and start encouraging people to leave.

Officially you have to be gone by 5pm.

21 minutes ago, Steel city camper said:

I know this has been asked a few times but I don't think there's ever been a definite answer , can you stay Monday night and leave Tuesday? 

People apparently do, but please see above.

17 hours ago, cb4747 said:

In 2014 I made the mistake of waking up late and leaving at midday. It took 11 hours to get to Kent. Not only was Glastonbury traffic dire but also the m25! I always leave bright and early now and don't have problems

This is kinda what we did that yet and the roads were pretty clear going west - on the m5 within an hour?

The two years I've been we've left around 5am on the Monday (driver doesn't mind chilling on the Sunday) and had clear roads back to London, but with LCD being Sunday night and us all planning to get off our trolleys we are going to leave Monday afternoon.  Hoping it doesn't sting us!