Is it possible to have a chair on my back, AND sometimes be near the front?

Little Andy

I love going near the front now and again for acts I love. But last year I got back-ache from being on my feet all day, and would love to have with me a compact fold-up chair which I can whip out when I need it ... but of course it would stay on my back when I'm at the front in a crowd of people. But even if its on my back, I fear it will be a real annoyance for people behind me when I'm at the front. Does anyone think its possible to have the best of both worlds without being annoying?

Just now, Little Andy said:

I love going near the front now and again for acts I love. But last year I got back-ache from being on my feet all day, and would love to have with me a compact fold-up chair which I can whip out when I need it ... but of course it would stay on my back when I'm at the front in a crowd of people. But even if its on my back, I fear it will be a real annoyance for people behind me when I'm at the front. Does anyone think its possible to have the best of both worlds without being annoying?

If you just folded it up and kept it by your side/at your feet I can't see it being too much of a problem. On your back though may get in the way quote a bit and end up hitting and/or poking somebody 

If you're at the front, it'll be crowded (go figure!) so a smaller one will be handier to keep out of the way.  However, I find the tripod chair not very good for long sitting, so have found a small director's style chair, but only about 12" across with a backrest.  That's an old M&S giveaway so I can't see an equivalent on the Tinterweb.  If you're prepared to go back for it, a larger folding chair like those in the services is better for resting the back and legs, if you put it in a locker nearby.

@emmett milbarge, I am sorely tempted by these, but the thought of trying to get out one gracefully when I've had a few puts me off.  Is it really as easy as that to inflate them?

Not tried one but it has always seemed to me that a "Shooting Stick" might work?

s14a0194.2.jpg

You carry it around like a walking stick / umbrella, the posher ones are aluminium and pretty light. Can also be "weaponised" to deter scoundrels and ne-er-do-wells.

37 minutes ago, evilduck said:

I tested one of these at the weekend, which is a cheaper copy of a lightweight, camping chair that folds up really small. It was comfy, and is about the size of a pair of shoes. Could be worth looking into for something less bulky.

Was going to suggest the Helinox One, at around £80 the original version which it's copied from. OH (a sturdy 100kg with back problems) has taken his to 3 festivals and loves it.  At one third of the price, worth considering.  One word of caution - almost all the glowing reviews are from people who had free samples 'in exchange for their unbiased review'

53 minutes ago, evilduck said:

I tested one of these at the weekend, which is a cheaper copy of a lightweight, camping chair that folds up really small. It was comfy, and is about the size of a pair of shoes. Could be worth looking into for something less bulky.

I've got one of those and took it last year. Excellent when the ground is firm, but the legs disappear into soft ground. Finding old cups or similar to put the legs on solved this.

Love my Helinox. As devonhammer said the legs do disappear in mud. I find flattened beer cans work well. Sadly you can usually find those around.

I weigh about 220kg and it supports me fine. It does look a bit odd having such a big guy in a tiny chair, but who cares if it's comfortable.

I never really go close enough to the front for the size to be much of an issue, but after I've cleared space in my backpack by drinking some beers it will fit in there fine.

One option is to head into the front section and then head backwards until the crowd barrier is immediately behind you - the security staff are usually happy to place items the other side of the fence and it tends to be a bit quieter so you shouldn't get in anyone's way too much when sitting down. Enjoy!

I've got a Helinox chair and it's great, although as mentioned the feet are way too small for the ground. I've put some walking stick tips on them to increase the size and think that should work OK. It's really amazing how small and light it folds up compared to the more typical style of camping chair, and yet is just as if not more sturdy. I got it for £45 in the sale at Ultimate Outdoors, though normally I think it's rare to see it below £60.

There's actually a few different versions of the same idea around now and most are cheaper than that - aside from all the direct copies on Amazon/eBay, Go Outdoors have an own brand (OEX) version that looks fairly decent, and Robens (a german company that make some pretty good camping kit) also have a couple models including one that's a bit taller than the Helinox.

81bLArGlqeL._SL1500_.jpg

These are amazing if you find sitting for any length of time without a backrest uncomfortable. Ideal for waiting between sets. Will also fit into a day bag. Can be interesting getting in and out of one as the days drinking starts to take its toll, I've found the "roll out" method works best! :-) Best £10 I ever spent!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002WUJC5U/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=569136327&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00EDMQHSA&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=WPFJZGEM1X47X170787S

15 hours ago, midlifecrisis said:

81bLArGlqeL._SL1500_.jpg

These are amazing if you find sitting for any length of time without a backrest uncomfortable. Ideal for waiting between sets. Will also fit into a day bag. Can be interesting getting in and out of one as the days drinking starts to take its toll, I've found the "roll out" method works best! :-) Best £10 I ever spent!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002WUJC5U/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=569136327&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00EDMQHSA&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=WPFJZGEM1X47X170787S

Hi, I'm the original poster here. Lots of great suggestions on this thread! This chair here looks interesting! Only a tenner! Is it comfortable then? Is it suitable if theres tons of mud and rain on the ground? Its so bizarre how it sits on the floor but I'm assuming its way lighter and more compact than a proper fold up chair?

20 hours ago, carlosj said:

If you're at the front, it'll be crowded (go figure!) so a smaller one will be handier to keep out of the way.  However, I find the tripod chair not very good for long sitting, so have found a small director's style chair, but only about 12" across with a backrest.  That's an old M&S giveaway so I can't see an equivalent on the Tinterweb.  If you're prepared to go back for it, a larger folding chair like those in the services is better for resting the back and legs, if you put it in a locker nearby.

@emmett milbarge, I am sorely tempted by these, but the thought of trying to get out one gracefully when I've had a few puts me off.  Is it really as easy as that to inflate them?

not tried doing it wasted yet, dead easy to set up though and worth it

Edited by emmett milbarge

19 hours ago, MikeJ86 said:

What is that price all about?? £149 down to £44? No way anyone paid £149 for that. 

No idea, the one i'm taking to glasto is not mine, i'm borrowing it, however it's lighter than a camping chair and quick bed for an afternoon snooze

8 hours ago, Little Andy said:

Hi, I'm the original poster here. Lots of great suggestions on this thread! This chair here looks interesting! Only a tenner! Is it comfortable then? Is it suitable if theres tons of mud and rain on the ground? Its so bizarre how it sits on the floor but I'm assuming its way lighter and more compact than a proper fold up chair?

Haven't tried sitting in mud in it! It does have a waterproof cover but can't imagine it'd be a good idea, the mud would probably squish over the edges! Would be Ok for damp grass but again, too wet and the backs of your legs would be soaked, you are literally sitting on the floor. But It's unbeleivably comfortable and very light.  I really can't sit on the floor without leaning back on something (I'm the wrong size, shape and have no felxibility at all!) You sit on the floor, manouver yourself in, lean back with your full weight as well......OMG bliss! :-)

You can also use it in the Cabaret tent, for example, right at the front, somewhere you wouldn't beable to put either a small chair or one of those 3 legged stools.

Edited by midlifecrisis

This is very similar to the above. We use them camping in the forest quite often even for backpacking. Rolls up very very small. We have used them in wet grounds no problem. You can lean way back on them and pivot the bottom so it sits like a V on the ground and put your feet flat on the ground. Super comfortable. 

http://www.crazycreek.com/air-chair-compact/