Lineup 2018

5 minutes ago, bradburyjames said:

Does this rule out The Amazons and Cabbage?

I'd have though Amazons would have returned because they filled out the FR tent early on.

I doubt it. It ends up fitting quite nicely with them doing Reading, Leeds and Portsmouth 3 days in a row (Sundara Karma did it last year etc.) I think they are announcing the day splits tomorrow so it should tell us which day they'll be on too.

4 minutes ago, CRW5252 said:

Looks like some on here were over estimating the Prodigy's size. If they are headlining Victorious, I can't see them subbing Reading.

Victorious headliners are always a decent size: Stereophonics, Prodigy, Libertines etc. would all be subbing size imo (but I doubt any of them would take that slot)

5 minutes ago, bradburyjames said:

Does this rule out The Amazons and Cabbage?

I'd have though Amazons would have returned because they filled out the FR tent early on.

I'd be shocked if the Amazons aren't there. They are from Reading and are up and coming. I reckon a mid nme slot would suit them well.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Flanders said:

First time posting, been lurking for a while!

Radio 1 seem to be playing a lot of Paramore/Royal Blood/Green Day/Foo Fighters, a lot more so than normal. Is there anything to read into this about potentially building hype for the festival? 

Wild theory, just need thoughts 

I noticed that, think it is just coincidence... Kendrick is pretty nailed on and Green Day can be saved for another year,

Welcome to the forum my friend.

Just now, CRW5252 said:

I'd be shocked if the Amazons aren't there. They are from Reading and are up and coming. I reckon a mid nme slot would suit them well.

They're probably gonna be quite high NME, 3rd or 4th I'd imagine.

2 minutes ago, CRW5252 said:

NME headliner is a considerably smaller slot than sub so what your saying doesn't really make sense.

I reckon they are around NME headline size.

Not necessarily. Definitely not "considerably". YM@S headlined it last year when they previously played 3rd down and they've had the likes of TDCC, Deadmau5, Jack U and The 1975 in recent years who could've easily been subs.

7 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

Victorious headliners are always a decent size: Stereophonics, Prodigy, Libertines etc. would all be subbing size imo (but I doubt any of them would take that slot)

I don't think they are. I think they are all around NME headliner size. Tbf I would be shocked if they booked any of those three any time soon as they are on the way down in popularity. Just not the booking FR likes to make.

14 minutes ago, Flanders said:

First time posting, been lurking for a while!

Radio 1 seem to be playing a lot of Paramore/Royal Blood/Green Day/Foo Fighters, a lot more so than normal. Is there anything to read into this about potentially building hype for the festival? 

Wild theory, just need thoughts 

Would be nice if it did mean something, i'd be more than happy with them all as my headliners!

1 minute ago, deadpheasant said:

Not necessarily. Definitely not "considerably". YM@S headlined it last year when they previously played 3rd down and they've had the likes of TDCC, Deadmau5, Jack U and The 1975 in recent years who could've easily been subs.

I'd say the only act you named there that could have subbed the same year would be The 1975.

Just now, deadpheasant said:

3rd down main is around the same as NME headliner. 

All those acts you stated would have played sub if they were big enough at the time but they weren't.

Just now, deadpheasant said:

There's not a gulf in size between the two that's what I'm saying. Step down from the sub-headliner, step up from 3rd down.

It's probably not that deep but in general NME headliners are much closer in size to third downs than subs. Like I said, the only NME headliner I can think of in recent years that could have subbed would have been The 1975.

And since you mentioned TDCC as an example, they went on to play 3rd down main the next year, not sub.

1 minute ago, deadpheasant said:

There's not a gulf in size between the two that's what I'm saying. Step down from the sub-headliner, step up from 3rd down.

I'd argue NME headline is more between 4th and 3rd. Haim and Flume last year I don't think could have played 3rd down main, None of the 2015 NME headliners (Limp Bizkit, Deadmau5, Rebel Sound) would have been good 3rd downs either

2 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

It's probably not that deep but in general NME headliners are much closer in size to third downs than subs. Like I said, the only NME headliner I can think of in recent years that could have subbed would have been The 1975.

And since you mentioned TDCC as an example, they went on to play 3rd down main the next year, not sub.

Yeah TDCC was a poor example as they essentially shared their NME slot with Nas but yeah I see what you mean.

1 minute ago, Mattymooz said:

I'd argue NME headline is more between 4th and 3rd. Haim and Flume last year I don't think could have played 3rd down main, None of the 2015 NME headliners (Limp Bizkit, Deadmau5, Rebel Sound) would have been good 3rd downs either

Reckon Limp Bizkit could be booked for 3rd main tbf.

But yeah I agree that NME headliners are closer to 3rd/4th main rather than 2nd/3rd main in general.

2 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

I agree, if anything it is weaker than 3rd down. Although dance acts do suit headlining the tent rather than third down so some other factors come into play.