Lineup 2018

22 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

Klaxons were the first one that came to mind for failed returns and I think Friendly Fires would be more likely to go that way.

Oh man, I did forget about them. Yeah they really fucked it.

4 minutes ago, JSmurphy said:

Yeah, a secret set this year followed by either a sub, co-headline or headline spot next year. Not a chance R&L are going to skip them on this album cycle. I'm guessing we're going to probably have a repeat of the 'are Foals big enough to headline' debate all over again but will Royal Blood this time. Can't wait.

I'm still confident they'll headline or coheadline. Doesn't seem much different to QOTSA in 2013 subbing Download on the release of the album and coming back around over a year later after their own shows to headline R+L. Royal Blood will surely be bigger than QOTSA to the average person by then (if they practically aren't now) so it makes a lot of sense to me that they'll headline next year.

QOTSA for Download then do we think? Was kinda hoping they might be booked to headline R&L if the new album does well (which it's bound to, Josh Homme is yet to be involved in anything bad in over 20 years). Personally got no time at all for Florence & The Machine, would be good to see her drop down to Latitude level, or even if Isle of Wight or somewhere got her instead, whatever. 

I don't mind Royal Blood at all but I still really want their new stuff to flop commercially. The teasers of the new stuff sounds exactly like their first album and even that was completely unoriginal. Just don't feel like they deserve to make it as big as they probably will. I think they're in a similar position to Catfish & The Bottlemen were though, where they can put out an album of next to no quality and as long as it is clearly the same band who put out the first album, it'll be lapped up. Just think they're insanely one dimensional, and can't imagine wanting to watch them for 75-90 minutes. Even the 2015 set went on a bit too long (I only missed Wolf Alice for them because I had tickets to see Wolf Alice in September anyway, I'm not crazy).

The one upside I can think though of Royal Blood being headliners is they surely wouldn't book Foo Fighers as well? Would they? Don't let them stink up a headliner position for me two years running. 

Three of Kendrick/QOTSA/Arctic Monkeys/The Killers/Paramore please.

• Downvote 3

QOTSA are in the running for Download, yeah, but at this point I assume quite a few others are too. Seems too soon to come back to R+L but it's hard to think where else they might end up. Maybe just do some of their own shows dotted in the middle of the tour.. or IOW. :( Also if you think Josh Homme hasn't done anything bad then you wanna check out Lady Gaga's Perfect Illusion and Biffy Clyro's Bubbles. ;)

Royal Blood could absolutely do the same year as Foo Fighters. They're not remotely similar and I think the biggest line drawn between the two is that Grohl likes them a lot and they supported them around the world.

IOW is incredibly hard to pin down now that Live Nation has taken a controlling stake. They could really clear up next year with bands touring around June unfettered by Glastonbury but we're yet to know what direction it'll go in. Download being the same weekend (if that remains true) could mean they won't book heavy, although QOTSA would be much less of a lasso for Download fans than if they booked Guns N' Roses or someone so it probably wouldn't stop a Queens booking.

Gonna throw one of these guesses out. I've undoubtedly missed a load of bands touring as its off the top of my head...

R+L: Royal Blood, Arctic Monkeys, Florence + the Machine
Download: Bring Me the Horizon, Metallica, Avenged Sevenfold
IOW: QOTSA, Kasabian, Depeche Mode
V: Calvin Harris, Taylor Swift
TRNSMT: Florence + the Machine, Arcade Fire, The Killers
Latitude: Chvrches, Arcade Fire, LCD Soundsystem
Bestival: Tame Impala, Boy Better Know, Bon Iver
Wireless: Stormzy, Kendrick Lamar, Rihanna
BST: Smashing Pumpkins, Gorillaz, Lady Gaga, Paramore, Kanye West, Fleetwood Mac

stadiums: Foo Fighters, Arctic Monkeys, Ed Sheeran, others, Blossoms (Old Trafford jk)

don't know where to put: Green Day, Eminem, Kings of Leon, Guns N' Roses, My Chemical Romance(?), probably more...

Edited by dentalplan
  • Upvote 1

That's pretty much the same as what I'm thinking, only big differences I had were Paolo Nutini to headline TRNSMT instead of Florence and one of The Killers or Sam Smith (if he's ever a thing again) instead of Taylor Swift at V although I completely forgot she'd be touring next year.

Kasabian in their second year seemed very likely for IOW and Depeche Mode is a great shout for that too, was struggling for an obvious third headliner. 

I don't see Bon Iver being around again next year given he seems to be struggling to tour at the moment, I've got LCD down for Bestival and Ben Howard for Latitude instead. I'd be delighted if it turned out the way you have it though as a couple of days at TRNSMT and then Latitude seems like a great couple of weeks.

Edited by kingcrawler

35 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Also if you think Josh Homme hasn't done anything bad then you wanna check out Lady Gaga's Perfect Illusion and Biffy Clyro's Bubbles. ;)

Ah I meant in terms of albums he's been involved with, so QOTSA, Kyuss, Them Crooked Vultures, EODM etc. I've not heard that Lady Gaga song but Bubbles isn't bad as far as Biffy Clyro songs go. I mean there's only so much he had to work with there haha.

7 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Latitude: Chvrches, Arcade Fire, LCD Soundsystem

This would be very very difficult to turn down if they got a decent undercard (i.e. the opposite of this year's effort). Glastonbury replacement right there.

If Dental's prediction were to come to fruition, unlikely I know unless Dental has some mystical powers, I'd happily be going to IOW, Latitude and Bestival along with the Kendrick day at Wireless and Gorillaz at BST. They would be extremely difficult to say no to.

6 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

That's pretty much the same as what I'm thinking, only big differences I had were Paolo Nutini to headline TRNSMT instead of Florence and one of The Killers or Sam Smith (if he's ever a thing again) instead of Taylor Swift at V although I completely forgot she'd be touring next year.

Kasabian in their second year seemed very likely for IOW and Depeche Mode is a great shout for that too, was struggling for an obvious third headliner. 

I don't see Bon Iver being around again next year given he seems to be struggling to tour at the moment, I've got LCD down for Bestival and Ben Howard for Latitude instead. I'd be delighted if it turned out the way you have it though as a couple of days at TRNSMT and then Latitude seems like a great couple of weeks.

Latitude one is a bit pie-in-the-sky. There would have to be some Ben Howard type shiter to ruin it.

Bon Iver was just a thought about the apparent cancelled date but it's naive to think he can get thru his stuff and come back next year so scrap that.

Paolo Nutini I hadn't thought about, but would TRNSMT be a thing for him? Seems a bit too indie rock. He could do one of the other Glasgow things easily, right? I forgot Sam Smith existed but yeah I suppose he'll be about. The Killers might be able to stadiums again actually at the rate they sold out BST before the album is even out, so maybe put a pin in that one.

5 minutes ago, Callum_96 said:

If Dental's prediction were to come to fruition, unlikely I know unless Dental has some mystical powers, I'd happily be going to IOW, Latitude and Bestival along with the Kendrick day at Wireless and Gorillaz at BST. They would be extremely difficult to say no to.

I think now I've predicted these things, none of them will happen. That's how it usually works.

8 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Latitude one is a bit pie-in-the-sky. There would have to be some Ben Howard type shiter to ruin it.

Bon Iver was just a thought about the apparent cancelled date but it's naive to think he can get thru his stuff and come back next year so scrap that.

Paolo Nutini I hadn't thought about, but would TRNSMT be a thing for him? Seems a bit too indie rock. He could do one of the other Glasgow things easily, right? I forgot Sam Smith existed but yeah I suppose he'll be about. The Killers might be able to stadiums again actually at the rate they sold out BST before the album is even out, so maybe put a pin in that one.

I think now I've predicted these things, none of them will happen. That's how it usually works.

I'd completely forgot about him pulling out of Bestival, can see where you were coming from now. 

That's true on Paolo, I just figured he'd be a really good ticket seller for it and there's the whole Scottish thing but I guess they could just put him on later in the summer on his own and it'd do just as well. I'd thought about him as a potential IOW headliner too if it's still quite weak.

Edited by kingcrawler

Not feeling QOTSA at download... dunno why, i think they'd go for one of their stock bands in place of QOTSA who are decent

Judging by what we expect I imagine that i'l probably go on holiday as a glastonbury alternative... I definitely won't be desperate to get to another festival

5 hours ago, AdamJansson88 said:

What are the chances of Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds playing? Is it possible they could co-headline with someone like Alt-J?

Having Liam sub this year and Noel headline next year? I would love to see Liam's face if this does happen :rofl:

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SeanW said:

Would love to see a Royal Blood and Alt J Co-Headline. Arctic Monkeys are definitely in the running, not sure on the third headliner quite yet, probably Florence but would love it to be Kings of Leon.

They won't have three/four pure rock/alternative headliners, will need to have something like Skepta, Kendrick or some other RnB/Electronic artist.

2 hours ago, manchestermusicreview said:

They won't have three/four pure rock/alternative headliners, will need to have something like Skepta, Kendrick or some other RnB/Electronic artist.

Why not? The last few years has still been dominated by rock/alternative headliners. Skepta isn't big enough to headline Reading. He could sub though. 

2 hours ago, manchestermusicreview said:

TBH I cant think of many acts who are big enough that aren't rock headliners....

Rap/Hip-Hop/RnB
- Kendrick Lamar
- Kanye West
- Eminem
- Gorillaz
- The Weeknd? (probably too poppy for Reading)
- Drake? (probably too poppy for Reading)
- Chance The Rapper? (maybe could co-headline)
- Ice Cube? (co-headline)
- Macklemore & Ryan Lewis (co-headline)
- Frank Ocean (co-headline)

Electronic
- Bjork
- Pendulum LIVE (co-headline)
- Chase & Status (co-headline)
- Skrillex (co-headline)
- Disclosure (co-headline)
- The Prodigy (co-headline)
- Zedd (probably too poppy for Reading)
- Swedish House Mafia (if they reform)
- Daft Punk (in my dreams)

You could probably get one but I don't think it is essential for there to be a headliner that isn't rocky. Especially when there are so many options for the sub/third/NME e.g. RL Grime, KAYTRANDA, M83, The Glitch Mob, Skepta, Kaskade, Jamie XX, Flume, Royksopp, ODESZA, Destroid, Eric Prydz, deadmau5, Justice, Stormzy, ZHU, Skepta, Bonobo, Camo & Krooked, DJ Snake, Hardwell, Tinie Tempah, Martin Garrix, Kygo, Jack U, JME etc.)

• Downvote 1

51 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

TBH I cant think of many acts who are big enough that aren't rock headliners....

Rap/Hip-Hop/RnB
- Kendrick Lamar
- Kanye West
- Gorillaz
- Eminem
- Drake

Electronic
- Disclosure (co-headline)
- Daft Punk

Fixed it for you.

Edited by Gozpot

On 4/12/2017 at 0:40 AM, Odessa said:

Josh Homme is yet to be involved in anything bad in over 20 years

LOLOLOLOL! Tell that to the 100k fans that suffered Them Crooked Vultures before ACDC came on at Download in 2010. The most boring, undeserving and least appreciated set I have ever witnessed. They were w*nk, their album was w*nk and they can stay dead for a very long time. I like QOTSA though.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, devilman said:

LOLOLOLOL! Tell that to the 100k fans that suffered Them Crooked Vultures before ACDC came on at Download in 2010. The most boring, undeserving and least appreciated set I have ever witnessed. They were w*nk, their album was w*nk and they can stay dead for a very long time. I like QOTSA though.

I don't get how you can like QOTSA and find that album worthless, it might as well be Queens at times. At least those 100k people got spared from having to watch AC/DC for another hour or two while TCV were on. :P

Yeah it does seem odd to dislike one and like the other.

Thought the lack of appreciation might have been because they were playing the main stage to a crowd waiting for AC/DC on the stage directly next to it. Last time Queens played, (despite Copping's praise) I hear they didn't go down so well in front of an army of Maiden fans too. They might have been poor though, QOTSA have been a notoriously hit-and-miss live quantity up until recently and I imagine that carries over to TCV.

Similar to what Matt said earlier, QOTSA at Download might be a poor fit when they could book a more familiar headliner that's likely to go down better.

11 hours ago, Odessa said:

Surely not suggesting that Bjork could headline Reading and Leeds.

Forgot to put the coheadline brackets next to her goddamnit. But you get the general jist of the post, there aint many acts to fill the "non-rock" quota who also fit into the R+L image