The reality of a pre delivered Caravan

drunk pumpkin

Guys, hoping someone can share some experiences.

I'm lucky enough to have been to Glastonbury a few times before but never in a pre delivered caravan.

I'm very bloody lucky to be going this year.

This year I've relented to the pressure and booked a pre delivered van. I'm really keen to know what the reality of using one is.

I know it will delivered to E25 (which is a walk) but how usable are they really?

What will work in the Caravan and in reality how many days will that be for?

Fridge, power, shower toilet etc?

Also do they usually provide all the necessary bits for toping up water and cleaning out the waste?

Never stayed in a caravan (as an adult!)  So I am a total novice!

Thanks all for any info shared

46 minutes ago, drunk pumpkin said:

I know it will delivered to E25 (which is a walk) but how usable are they really?

What will work in the Caravan and in reality how many days will that be for?

Fridge, power, shower toilet etc?

Also do they usually provide all the necessary bits for toping up water and cleaning out the waste?

Yes they often put the rentals at the far end of the field,  as though it's some pay back for us bourgeois bastards,  but that seems fair in some respect to me ;-)

Check the details of what they're giving you,  they should be specific.   What I've received from three firms is two batteries and some gas,  in both cases easily enough to use the stove,  shower,  lights,  toilet etc.   Bear in mind sockets and the like won't work as you won't have electrical hook up. 

They'll give you fluid to put in the loo,  containers for topping up water etc.   Can't recall of they give you a funnel,  I've certainly improvised about that before.   

If you haven't seen it before,  then when they demonstrate to you,  recommend having another member of your group watch it  too. 

2 hours ago, clarkete said:

Yes they often put the rentals at the far end of the field,  as though it's some pay back for us bourgeois bastards,  but that seems fair in some respect to me ;-)

Check the details of what they're giving you,  they should be specific.   What I've received from three firms is two batteries and some gas,  in both cases easily enough to use the stove,  shower,  lights,  toilet etc.   Bear in mind sockets and the like won't work as you won't have electrical hook up. 

They'll give you fluid to put in the loo,  containers for topping up water etc.   Can't recall of they give you a funnel,  I've certainly improvised about that before.   

If you haven't seen it before,  then when they demonstrate to you,  recommend having another member of your group watch it  too. 

You can buy a converter and take it with you that then ensures the plug sockets work. We have one in the van - it makes a low whirring noise but is enough to power phones/camera etc. People next door to us last year had their hairdryer going so I guess they had one too ..... she didn;t say hello all weekend, but seemed to look 'beautiful' .... made us chuckle !

Yeah check the details of what you are hiring. 

They should provide you with a leisure battery because you are off grid (no electric hookup) at Glastonbury. This will power the internal lights and water pump.

they should also provide you with gas, either butane( blue bottle) or propane ( red bottle). This will provide gas for the hob and power the fridge and may power the water heater.

id like to think they will either have someone on site or leave instructions on how it all works but the fridge won't work very well of the van isn't levelled correctly.

bear in mind that unlike people in motorhomes you won't have any way of recharging the battery so don't waste it have the lights on unnecessarily and only have the water pump on when you actually need water.

as said above the power sockets won't work as they are for when you have a 240v mains hookup. My motorhome has a 12v socket powered by the leisure battery but I don't know if caravans have these as the don't automatically have a leisure battery so don't expect one.

may be worth taking a camping lantern with you just in case the leisure battery doesn't last.

as for the toilets they are pretty simple, if you are unsure just ask someone near you, personally ours will be for number ones only.

Thanks all, great info.

I have been trying to explain that the loo should be for number 1's only!

good tip on the camping lantern, i don't plan to spend much time in the van but that will be weather dependent for my wife and youngest daughter who may decide that being warmer is a plus! (strange i know)

i'll have to find out exactly what's supplied and if there is anyone from the company staying.

I'll also be super nice to my neighbours just in case i need a hand! :)

Each caravan I've hired has had a spare leisure battery,  so if you did get careless before half the festival you would  know,  as you have to switch over the terminals from one battery to the other.   I didn't have to use the second for the last couple of years.   Not did I use much gas,  but I don't really use the stove for anything but the kettle. 

As smeble says,  normally you would be cautious about when you put the water heater on in the morning and making sure everything is off when you go out for the day. 

Edited by clarkete

2 hours ago, Funkyfairy! said:

You can buy a converter and take it with you that then ensures the plug sockets work. We have one in the van - it makes a low whirring noise but is enough to power phones/camera etc.

you'd be better off charging that low-volt stuff directly via a usb fag lighter thingy, rather than converting up and back down again - which will eat more battery than if charged from 12volt.

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

you'd be better off charging that low-volt stuff directly via a usb fag lighter thingy, rather than converting up and back down again - which will eat more battery than if charged from 12volt.

I have no idea about these things , but the whirry thing seems to have worked ok for the last 5 years with battery life etc .... I really have no idea as long as phone charges once while I'm there all is good lol

I shall mention the usb chargey thingy to the 'technical team' for their perusal ;-)

We took a small invertor last year as we wanted to be able to charge a laptop so we could keep the kids entertained during the getting ready times. It was only a 280W version but even so we always only used it with the engine running and plugged into the cab outlet. They will eat your battery life very quickly (and you have no engine to run to top it up, although I guess you could set things up to use your car - if that's how your getting to the caravan?), so be careful if you do decide to use one for anything bigger than a mobile phone - I have no idea how that lass used a hairdryer every day!

6 hours ago, J1990 said:

Do all pre-delivered  caravans get delivered to E25? Got one last year delivered and it was quite a walk. 

Was just wondering if there was any way to get it delivered closer to the front of the CV fields?

No, I think that's where the stewards agree they can go, well it seems that way as there are several companies together, indeed they seem to deliberately place them at the far end of the field. 

I'm not sure if that helps with their pitch allocation, or if it's a penance for the bourgeois.

4 hours ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

Presumably it's OK to plonk a tent or two next to a pre-delivered van, like it is with a camper?

Yes, there's usually space for a car and a modest tent next to them, many of the firms seem to offer the option of an awning for an extra fee.

On 19 April 2016 at 6:55 AM, thatcrazypenguin said:

drunk pumpkin what firm did you use to book the caravan? im thinking of doing this as an option next year as im planning to bring family and itll be so much easier esp as I dont drive so would otherwise need to find a way of getting 4 people+bags and tent up on public transport. Anyway ive struggled to find companies that deliver to site for you to use during the fest, can you post or pm me the info? much appreciated!

These people deliver to the festival.
Charm x

http://www.tilshead-caravans.com/caravan-hire-range