First timer! Help/ tips/ advice

JayP1983

Hi Folks,

as you can probably tell from the title this will be my first year at Glastonbury! Totally buzzing and cannot wait.

I've done T in The park loads of times but got bored with it and on my first year of trying managed to get tickets for Glastonbury.

just looking for tips and advice on how to get the most from the festival. It appears to be huge with a vast amount of things to take in, see and do.

looking to arrive on wed afternoon so what is on on the wed night, thu night? Where to go etc.

any comments would be appreciated!

Edited by JayP1983

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're going to have the time of your life. Take comfortable boots - Glastonbury is MUCH bigger than T. And you can take your own booze and there's no arena so you can take that booze WITH YOU to see bands. And there aren't just bands - there's lots of other stuff too. And it's brilliant. 

I think that's pretty much the important stuff covered :D

(But seriously, read this, it's amazing. I've been going for over 10 years but I still read it every single year before I go: http://www.glastoearth.com/the-faq)

P&aP has given you most everything but I'd just add for you to bring a fleece or something warm for the nighttime (it can get really cold, even compared to T), an open mind, an open heart and the willingness to accept that the first Sunday in October will become the date around which all other things are organised.

Hope you have a fantastic time - would love you to let us all know your thoughts when it's all over.

3 minutes ago, JayP1983 said:

Cool thanks guys.

can you get into the main area on the Wednesday? Would love a close up look at the pyramid stage etc

Once you're in, you're in. You can go exploring. You can get to the pyramid but it has barriers around the field to stop you getting right up to it. 

Seriously though, plenty of time to see the Pyramid. Go and explore EVERYWHERE. Your mind is gonna be blown. 

Dont try to do everything. Take some time to chill out. The hill behind Park is great to chill out on and take it all in. 

The site is HUGE! It can take 45 mins - an hour to walk from one side to another. Not sure if you have somewhere in mind you want to camp or if you're happy to pitch anywhere, but be warned that the trek with all of your stuff (and back to the car) is long and arduous! So pack carefully. If you usually take a trolley to festivals, one with little wheels wont work at glastonbury - you're gonna want some good sturdy wheels!

Don't plan to see too many bands as you'll find when you get there you'll be having too much fun doing something else, or the walks between stages will take too long and you'll be rushing around and missing things. We usually pick out a few 'must sees' and often end up abandoning half of these! :lol:

You're gonna have a great time. the first time is always amazing. 

Also, people at glastonbury are much friendlier that TITP etc.

Think I will love it! I'd say I'm a TITP veteran now but a Glastonbury first timer. Can't wait to take it all in.

TITP has unfortunately slowly descended into a poor festival in terms of bands and the crowd are getting worse.

what is the crowd at Glastonbury like? Chilled/ friendly etc?

6 minutes ago, dexydexy said:

Dont try to do everything. Take some time to chill out. The hill behind Park is great to chill out on and take it all in. 

The site is HUGE! It can take 45 mins - an hour to walk from one side to another. Not sure if you have somewhere in mind you want to camp or if you're happy to pitch anywhere, but be warned that the trek with all of your stuff (and back to the car) is long and arduous! So pack carefully. If you usually take a trolley to festivals, one with little wheels wont work at glastonbury - you're gonna want some good sturdy wheels!

Don't plan to see too many bands as you'll find when you get there you'll be having too much fun doing something else, or the walks between stages will take too long and you'll be rushing around and missing things. We usually pick out a few 'must sees' and often end up abandoning half of these! :lol:

You're gonna have a great time. the first time is always amazing. 

Also, people at glastonbury are much friendlier that TITP etc.

Yeah think we will pick five bands we want to see over the weekend and spend the rest of the time wandering about and taking it in!

1 minute ago, JayP1983 said:

Think I will love it! I'd say I'm a TITP veteran now but a Glastonbury first timer. Can't wait to take it all in.

TITP has unfortunately slowly descended into a poor festival in terms of bands and the crowd are getting worse.

what is the crowd at Glastonbury like? Chilled/ friendly etc?

everyone i've met is friendly (this will be my 8th glastonbury). We've always had good camping neighbours. people will randomly come and sit with you and talk to you. This especially happens at the stone circle and especially of an evening. People will offer you all sorts for free, or ask if you want to trade! there are different areas of glastonbury, some are more chilled and some are more party central. For camping, pennards is always rammed and is where the party crowd aim to camp, the camping fields towards the outskirts eg bushy, pylon, are much quieter. In regard to the fields you have Arcadia (look at this link / watch the video http://www.arcadiaspectacular.com/ ) which has cool DJs and a nightly spectacular light / fire show. There's dance fields, circus fields, greenpeace, green futures, craft etc. There's so much and it's all different from each other!

It is... I have been to 20 out if the last 21 Glastonbury's, and fingers crossed for the resale, will be there again this year.  Its massive, its friendly, theres something for everyone (even my mum), its beautiful, its mind blowing and mind bending.  Take a massive smile, don't leave litter or piss in the hedges, and just enjoy being part of one of the greatest weekends on earth.  Dont waste time queueing, or watching something you don't like. Explore, question, discover, relax,eat, drink, chat to new people. It will be nothing like T.

36 minutes ago, JayP1983 said:

Cool thanks guys.

can you get into the main area on the Wednesday? Would love a close up look at the pyramid stage etc

In case it wasn't clear from the other reply, there is no camping/arena divide at Glastonbury. You can come in (with trollies full of booze) and that's it. No more checks or barriers. Sometimes if a venue is full, then you can't walk straight in, but other than that, it's open access everywhere.

Standing in front of the Pyramid on the Thursday or Wednesday is pretty damn cool to be fair, but please do explore on those days while you can.

You're going to have a blast.

Try and do a bit of everything. I'd say maybe pick 5 things you really want to do/see and try and tick one off each day. For example my 5 are usually:

1. Chill at the stone circle as the sun goes down and then watch the fireworks (first night this usually happens)

2. Bar crawl (or as I do it, start at the Brothers bar but get too drunk / have too much fun to move on)

3. Go see some alternative entertainment I'd normally not see (theatre, circus, comedy, poetry etc.)

4. Climb the ribbon tower (based in the park, you get a view of the whole site from up high!)

5. Explore every weird and wonderful corner of the late night areas (and dance the night away in Block 9 or maybe Shangri-La)

Oh by the way, in case you missed it earlier... its massive.  It can be a mile from your car to the gate, across fields....and thats before you've camped! Get fit, you will walk around 10 miles a day....if not more.!

Here's a tip: Bear in mind the walking distances between the stages typically

From Pyramid:

Other 10 mins

Glade 10 mins

Leftfield 10 mins

Acoustic 10 mins

John Peel 10 mins

West Holts 15 mins

Silver Hayes 15 mins

Avalon 20 mins

Park 25 mins

Shangri La 25 mins

Also Park stage is a bit further out so bare that in mind when choosing what acts to see. Seeing something at John Peel and then Park immediately afterwards isn't going to happen (unless you're usain bolt).

24 minutes ago, deadpheasant said:

Here's a tip: Bear in mind the walking distances between the stages typically

From Pyramid:

Other 10 mins

Glade 10 mins

Leftfield 10 mins

Acoustic 10 mins

John Peel 10 mins

West Holts 15 mins

Silver Hayes 15 mins

Avalon 20 mins

Park 25 mins

Shangri La 25 mins

Also Park stage is a bit further out so bare that in mind when choosing what acts to see. Seeing something at John Peel and then Park immediately afterwards isn't going to happen (unless you're usain bolt).

Some of those times are massively optimistic IMHO.

This is from 2013, so Arcadia is wrong and is still for ideal conditions without much in the way of crowds or mud, but it gives you a better idea:

GlastoWalkingTimes2013.jpg

2 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Some of those times are massively optimistic IMHO.

This is from 2013, so Arcadia is wrong and is still for ideal conditions without much in the way of crowds or mud, but it gives you a better idea:

GlastoWalkingTimes2013.jpg

Thats perfect seen some timings but this has much more detail thanks.

4 hours ago, JayP1983 said:

It's getting me excited just listening to all the feedback! Thanks everyone. 

I can't speak for anyone else, but I love the excited threads of first timers, not least because they are always full of feel good stuff.

I reckon you'll have a great time.  The thing about Glastonbury is the sheer variety of entertainment on offer means that there is a great time on offer for any taste but you might have to go searching to find the corners that provide the entertainment that suits you.  Honestly the first time is great, but you never have enough time to see as much as you'd like and that keeps you coming back for more.

As someone else said, bring your smile, an open mind and a friendly attitude for the best experience.