Question regarding Contactless payment

hevduff2015

Hi, 

I am an undergraduate BA Hons Event Management student, I work at Glastonbury every year with the Catering team and have decided to do my dissertation project on the use of Contactless payment at festivals - from working with it last summer I wanted to develop an understanding of how it effects attendee satisfaction. I am attempting to collect my own secondary data around customer perceptions of contactless payment and would be very grateful if people would take 5 minutes to answer my survey the link is below: https://docs.google.com/a/student.leedsbeckett.ac.uk/forms/d/1G9taZujB8yKFH05Tgk6enDdNo8jhMz8KM9f_AOe5JDs/viewform

thank you to those of you that do.

Dude, just trying to be helpful, but you might want to review the survey. If you select No for " Have you ever been to a festival that used contactless payment? " then surely you shouldn't be answering most of the subsequent questions. Yet, if you try to submit your responses, it asks you to fill all the questions in.

You'll get some pretty funky results as is.....

Done.

Had a horrendous experience at Detonate Festival (a DnB/ hip hop chav scrum in Nottingham, FWIW) last summer with them - apparently the internet connection to the little machines used to scan tickets at the gate and put your money on your wristband chip thingy crashed, meaning they couldn't let anyone in for 2-3 hours whilst they sorted it out. Standing in the queue for that long constantly checking your watch knowing you're missing one of the sets you really wanted to see was annoying to say the least. 

Weren't there some massive issues with these at Download last summer too? 

36 minutes ago, PiratePete said:

Done.

Had a horrendous experience at Detonate Festival (a DnB/ hip hop chav scrum in Nottingham, FWIW) last summer with them - apparently the internet connection to the little machines used to scan tickets at the gate and put your money on your wristband chip thingy crashed, meaning they couldn't let anyone in for 2-3 hours whilst they sorted it out. Standing in the queue for that long constantly checking your watch knowing you're missing one of the sets you really wanted to see was annoying to say the least. 

Weren't there some massive issues with these at Download last summer too? 

yup and Galtres

2 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I thought there was a daily limit, but seemingly not.  £30 a round is fine for me. @glasto-worker, do you know if contactless payments will be supported at Glastonbury this year?

I would doubt it - they looked at RFID wristbands but the stumbling block was the initial cost and it was not clear which equipment would become ' standard equipment ' - even the handheld credit card units are a right pain in the arse to use - we tried them at Hyde park { London } and even there it was difficult to get a signal.

I would expect them to hold back until there is a cheap 100% bullet proof way to handle the transactions - now I know that some Smartphones can be used to verify payment but each week ' a new thing will come out '

what they need is a POS unit that can be waterproof and can work 'without delay'

cash is still King for now.

Contactless payment would be great. It's always a slight concern walking around the festival with large amounts of cash in your pocket. Especially after several trips to the Brothers Bar. You would like to think it may eventually deter those pesky tent thieves too. I got my wallet stolen from my tent one year at Reading. That really sucked. 

14 minutes ago, Henrik said:

Contactless payment would be great. It's always a slight concern walking around the festival with large amounts of cash in your pocket. Especially after several trips to the Brothers Bar. You would like to think it may eventually deter those pesky tent thieves too. I got my wallet stolen from my tent one year at Reading. That really sucked. 

Personally I would be more worried about my card being stolen and used for numerous contactless payments. I leave my money in the lock ups so only have a finite amount of cash with me on a daily basis and leave extra contingency in the lock ups in case I lose my money being a muppet and getting slightly gillespied. 

2 hours ago, H.M.V said:

Personally I would be more worried about my card being stolen and used for numerous contactless payments. I leave my money in the lock ups so only have a finite amount of cash with me on a daily basis and leave extra contingency in the lock ups in case I lose my money being a muppet and getting slightly gillespied. 

Good sound advice, must admit that's exactly what I do as well.  

I worked in a pop up cocktail bar last Saturday and we had a neat little credit card reader attached to an iPhone that was on the venues WIFI.  Worked great until it stopped working just when all three of us serving each had a punter wanting to use it.  During the time it took to fix it we'd got a long queue which took us ages to clear.  

For these things to work at a festival there must be a reliable connection to the internet.  Which there isn't.

On 2/19/2016 at 2:28 PM, Keithy said:

Your survey falls down after "Have you ever been to a festival that used contactless payment?"

If you answer No then the next few questions are irrelevant but you have made answers mandatory. So to complete it, I need to make up answers.

Made up answers on a dissertation?! Well I never!!! :P

10 hours ago, H.M.V said:

This is where ApplePay is great.  All I need is my watch.