New Quechua "Fresh & Black" Tents

FrankieX

Just now, Dr Glasto said:

Whilst this was one of the best festivals ever for cooler mornings (and therefore more sleep), I still reached a point each day when my tent was too hot. So, even though your tent wasn't put through any serious heat testing, the fact that you remained cool is a pretty massive deal in my eyes. The tent sauna issue is definitely my number one gripe at festivals so these tents are looking mighty tempting...

Cheers for the review :) 

That's good to know.  Given how it performed in my back garden a month or so back, I suspect it could cope with quite a bit more heat than we had this year.

Sleep was my no.1 problem in 2014 (my previous Glasto), so I'm pretty pleased with the purchase all in all.

Some great feedback, cheers everyone! Finally got around to putting mine up, inflated really easily and looks nice and dark inside, will definitely have to buy a lantern to be able to see in there. Will have to sleep corner to corner but should just be enough room for me, girlfriend and 2 bags. Just hope some joker doesn't decide to twist the big red deflating thing!

20 hours ago, OBface said:

Collected the 3 man inflatable today to use at a shorter festival next week. Using the pump they recommend (the gargantuan red one) I can't tell when the pressure reaches the correct PSI. The gauge doesn't move. Faulty pump right? 

The gauge worked fine on mine (same tent and pump) but wasn't really necessary as you can tell when it's full by how firm the poles are and being unable to pump it up any more.

Edited by renrutbor

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought I'd revive this thread...

Just bought a 3 man fresh and black popup to take to the Hockenheim Grand Prix as we're camping in the apparently very rowdy campsite. Should be interesting.

I was going to take my usual HiGear beast but it was last used at Glastonbury in 2015, packed away slightly damp and I never aired it. I keep meaning to check it out but I'm fairly certain I'm going to find a rotten tent.

Anyway, weather's looking to be sunny and hovering around 30 degrees for the entire duration. I'll report back on my return how it handles the heat.

1 hour ago, Jamie D said:

Just thought I'd revive this thread...

Just bought a 3 man fresh and black popup to take to the Hockenheim Grand Prix as we're camping in the apparently very rowdy campsite. Should be interesting.

I was going to take my usual HiGear beast but it was last used at Glastonbury in 2015, packed away slightly damp and I never aired it. I keep meaning to check it out but I'm fairly certain I'm going to find a rotten tent.

Anyway, weather's looking to be sunny and hovering around 30 degrees for the entire duration. I'll report back on my return how it handles the heat.

I hope you're not too tall? 

Used mine for the first time at Bluedot this weekend and I'm very happy with it. Woke up nice and cool at 9.30 on a really hot morning on the Saturday to hear neighbours complaining about being too hot and then managed to get back to sleep for another hour or so.

Never felt warm in there at any point and it even kept my cider fairly cool too. Also really easy to set up and take down. Will need to get a brighter lamp as with the one I had I still couldn't see a thing during the day.

• Upvote 1

I would rate my 3man pop up a roaring success. 

Can vouch for what @stuartbert two hats has said pretty much.

Although length I didn't find an issue as after a heavy session I tend to rock myself to sleep in the foetal position. 

Im 6'2" so most beds are too small for me anyway.

Had a double inflatable mattress in there for me and my girlfriend and was plenty of room for us and all our stuff. Id thoroughly recommend the air mattress for a decent night sleep!

Stayed cool and dark so allowed me to get back from SE corner at 7 every morning and sleep in till half 10 or 11 no problems.

Two sets of boots in the very small porch area only just fitted and meant i had to clean a lot of mud off the inside of the tent when i got it home but if you are careful you won't get it in the sleeping area!

Cant wait to spend the weekend in it again next year if I'm lucky enough to bag tickets. 

• 2 weeks later...

Ok. Review after using this tent at the Hockenheim Grand Prix...

Tent pitched in darkness at 3am with relative ease.

Very dark inside. As others have said, you need a torch even in the day.

So the bit you've all been waiting for...

One morning it was just shy of 30 degrees. I managed to sleep in quite comfortably until 11am. However, it still got a bit warm. Not unbearably oven warm like a normal tent but just enough to make we want to get some fresh air.  But, I did manage to lie in until 11am in what was probably the maximum heat we'd get at Glastonbury so I'd say that was pretty successful. It might have been because I didn't get the vents up exactly right.

Putting the tent away was an absolute bastard but managed to in the end with some help from a pop up tent pro.

One more thing - I would highly recommend camping at the Hockenheim Grand Prix. The camp site is something else. All the hardcore fans bring marquees and install unofficial sound systems and lighting which are all going until about 4am. The German's (and all the other nationalities) were extremely kind and hospitable, offering us beers at every opportunity. Quite an experience.

11 hours ago, Jamie D said:

One more thing - I would highly recommend camping at the Hockenheim Grand Prix. The camp site is something else. All the hardcore fans bring marquees and install unofficial sound systems and lighting which are all going until about 4am. The German's (and all the other nationalities) were extremely kind and hospitable, offering us beers at every opportunity. Quite an experience.

Thanks for the tent write up. I have the illumi fresh (pop up white silvered thing). It's also great and lots cooler than a normal tent. Putting the bugger away certainly causes a bit of swearing! 

Hockenhiem sounds great! Really think I might try that!! Many families?

Edited by semmtexx

11 hours ago, semmtexx said:

Thanks for the tent write up. I have the illumi fresh (pop up white silvered thing). It's also great and lots cooler than a normal tent. Putting the bugger away certainly causes a bit of swearing! 

Hockenhiem sounds great! Really think I might try that!! Many families?

On the official campsite next to the circuit there aren't young families - it would be impossible for young kids to get to sleep. Quite a few German families with their older kids though. There were other camping sites around which were more suitable for families. I think this video sums it up quite well...

• 3 weeks later...

Having used mine for 8 days at Sziget I think it might well be one of the best things I've ever bought!

It was above 30 degrees some mornings and we were camped under trees but still in direct sunlight in the mornings. It did get warm and we had to leave the tent for fresh air after a while but the difference in temperature between these and the normal black and red hi-gear tent my friends took as an extra to store their bags and stuff in was staggering! We managed to sleep til 10/11 most mornings which simply wouldn't have happened if we'd have been in my old oven tent. Having the option to pull the sides up and open the side vents to get a breeze going through quickly cooled it down too. 

Would definitely recommend it to anyone considering getting one!

On 5 August 2016 at 10:00 AM, Jamie D said:

On the official campsite next to the circuit there aren't young families - it would be impossible for young kids to get to sleep. Quite a few German families with their older kids though. There were other camping sites around which were more suitable for families. I think this video sums it up quite well...

Hey thanks for the reply. Missed it earlier! :-)

1 hour ago, stutheblue said:

Have just bought the three man conventional, gave it a trial run putting it up and down yesterday. Very easy. Taking it to Shrewsbury folk festival at the week. Will hopefully have the hot weather to be able to give it the black out and sun reflector a good test.

The blackout will still be worth it if it's cloudy all weekend.  Made a massive difference to me this year.

I got one of these before Boomtown. It was an absolute godsend. We'd usually stumble back to the tents at 5/6am so it's getting light outside, yet it was pretty much pitch black when you closed the tent up fully. Both myself and my girlfriend slept until gone 10am and it was nice and cool in the tent. As mentioned previously, it does get a little warmer as the day goes on, but it's a lot lot cooler than a normal tent and at no point did you have to get out as it was getting too warm.

Packing away was a nightmare. I tried it before I left, but struggled. After a heavy weekend, I had to get help from some pro's to put it down! Think I have the knack of it now and will probably get the tent up in the garden in the coming weeks just to fine tune that technique!

All in all, a fantastic purchase that i'd highly recommend.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
14 minutes ago, Wakan Tanka said:

Took the plunge and bought this years version of the Fresh and Black :D

big_819a8982-548f-45a8-888f-786a6c48a14f.jpeg

Oh my....That is the most beautiful tent I've ever seen! I was worried the others didn't have a porch for dirty wellies...but this looks like it has that covered. Dare I ask how much?

1 minute ago, Sasperella said:

Oh my....That is the most beautiful tent I've ever seen! I was worried the others didn't have a porch for dirty wellies...but this looks like it has that covered. Dare I ask how much?

It was £109 for the 2 man or £129 for 3 man. Regarding the porch it has one both sides :D picture is of 2 man