David Bowie RIP

Woffy

9 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Step off La Roux, Russ. You can't comment on an artist until you've released better music than them.

That's not quite how it works. You cant call an artist bad when you have released clear evidence that you are worse.

You can criticise an artist when you've released nothing at all. Because who can say if you're worse or not?

• Replies 763
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Pretty bold to claim that you could potentially be better than Bowie.

Yep. But who knows what untapped potential we all have inside us? It is one of the most depressing things about life: that life's too short for most of us to find out where our true talents lie. Most of us are too preoccupied with trying to eke a living and survive to have the luxury of finding out.

Luckily for la roux she was born into fabulous wealth and was fortunate enough to receive a private school education, so has had the opportunities to explore her talents. The result of this exploration is that the whole world knows for certain that la roux doesnt have much talent for making music and so would be wise not to call david bowie bad.

Edited by russycarps

16 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Most of La Roux's songs are better than that atrocious cover of Across The Universe.

she said bad songs, plural, meaning that she considers at least one other song on young amercans to be bad. 

Even if her stuff is better than across the universe, which it isnt, which other song on that album is her music superior to? 

It was an ill judged comment on her part, a comment made by someone completely lacking in self awareness and full of a false sense of superiority. Qualities that go hand in hand with inherited wealth and a private school education.

Quite why you all are defending her is beyond me.

Just now, russycarps said:

she said bad songs, plural, meaning that she considers at least one other song on young amercans to be bad. 

Even if her stuff is better than across the universe, which it isnt, which other song on that album is her music superior to? 

It was an ill judged comment on her part, a comment made by someone completely lacking in self awareness and full of a false sense of superiority. Qualities that go hand in hand with inherited wealth and a private school education.

Quite why you all are defending her is beyond me.

I'll give you that - Across The Universe is the bad song on the album.  I should have quoted - I was taking exception to the idea that Across The Universe was listenable, when it's clearly amongst the worst (if not the worst) song he recorded in the 70s.

Plus, the rest of the what she said was very nice and pretty insightful. 

33 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I'll give you that - Across The Universe is the bad song on the album.  I should have quoted - I was taking exception to the idea that Across The Universe was listenable, when it's clearly amongst the worst (if not the worst) song he recorded in the 70s.

Bowie only did it to hang out with John Lennon in the studio. Lennon loved it too.

I was also at Brixton last night and thought it was a real mixed bag.

Some fantastic moments, Five Years and Moonage Daydream really stood out. Sound & Vision was so bad i wouldn't have been surprised to see Bowie appear and ask them what they thought they were doing.

Im really happy I went but surprised at some of the guest singers that were invited. I might be way off the mark but Joe Elliot? Really? I know he's good pals with Earl Slick but really? Tony Hadley? Simon Le Bon? Again, I know both are known to be big fans but still...

As I said, a very mixed night for me but ultimately happy that I went.

8 hours ago, joeltg said:

The Brixton Academy celebration was immense, thoroughly enjoyed it and a great way to celebrate his life.

Did you other guys enjoy it?

They smashed out probably close to 25 amazing tracks and probably could of gone on all night with his incredible catalogue.

Nice to see profits go to charity too.

I really enjoyed it. Some guest singers worked, some didn't. La Roux in particular, it was the wrong song choice and her sound levels were poor. Surprisingly, Tom Chaplin nailed Life On Mars (I know, me too) and Joe Elliott's version of All The Young Dudes backed by the London Community Gospel Choir was terrific. Bernard Fowler was impressive but given he's done the Station To Station tour with Earl Slick it's understandable. There were a couple of issues with the band at times but considering the interchangeable format and that they'd only had 3 days' rehearsal without the majority of singers it was really impressive. Individually, I was particularly blown away by Mike Garson, Gail Ann Dorsey and Adrian Belew and when the one time the most consistent Bowie-band lineup played together on Ziggy Stardust it was understandably super-tight.

Would like to have seen Brian Molko and a couple other contemporary musicians play but all who did treated the songs with respect they deserve. A lot of fun and definitely a celebration.

On 1/9/2017 at 2:20 PM, russycarps said:

Yep. But who knows what untapped potential we all have inside us? It is one of the most depressing things about life: that life's too short for most of us to find out where our true talents lie. Most of us are too preoccupied with trying to eke a living and survive to have the luxury of finding out.

Luckily for la roux she was born into fabulous wealth and was fortunate enough to receive a private school education, so has had the opportunities to explore her talents. The result of this exploration is that the whole world knows for certain that la roux doesnt have much talent for making music and so would be wise not to call david bowie bad.

What exactly would you have those born into some kind of money do with their lives Russ?  Seems to be a recurring theme of yours, so I'm guessing you have an alternative path for them?

52 minutes ago, Quark said:

What exactly would you have those born into some kind of money do with their lives Russ?  Seems to be a recurring theme of yours, so I'm guessing you have an alternative path for them?

I'd just like to see a bit of humility, a bit of self-awareness. Some recognition that they are incredibly lucky to have been granted all the fabulous advantages being wealthy brings.

Of course I am well aware that these are the very first things that private schools set out to eradicate from their students. It's why people who went to private school are such unbearable, loathsome c**ts you see. A sense of supreme superiority is not an attractive quality, but it gets you far in business.

42 minutes ago, russycarps said:

I'd just like to see a bit of humility, a bit of self-awareness. Some recognition that they are incredibly lucky to have been granted all the fabulous advantages being wealthy brings.

Of course I am well aware that these are the very first things that private schools set out to eradicate from their students. It's why people who went to private school are such unbearable, loathsome c**ts you see. A sense of supreme superiority is not an attractive quality, but it gets you far in business.

But is that recognition expected to be shown at every step and in every interview?  I agree that you should recognise the advantages that you have in life and be grateful for them, but that can't turn into spending your life apologising for being born with those advantages.

Desperately trying not to turn this into another class discussion thread or Neil will get cross that we've gone off topic ;)

59 minutes ago, Quark said:

But is that recognition expected to be shown at every step and in every interview?  I agree that you should recognise the advantages that you have in life and be grateful for them, but that can't turn into spending your life apologising for being born with those advantages.

Desperately trying not to turn this into another class discussion thread or Neil will get cross that we've gone off topic ;)

No, but to go back to privately-educated la roux, she is so supremely self confident, and so lacking in humility that she can blithely dismiss songs by david bowie as "bad", while sitting on an entire catalogue of her own shite. A catalogue she only got to create in the first place thanks to the billions to one chance of her being born into fabulous wealth.

What any normal person would have done in that interview is just praise young americans, without inserting a snide and completely unnecessary "apart from the bad songs" comment.

What a wretched individual she is. A shining example of the private school system.

(and yes I accept there are some people who are exceptions, but she surely isnt one of them)

It's why privately educated people have that horrible loud, braying voice. Because they think they must be heard above everyone else. Because they have had it drummed in to them that they are better than everyone else.

When the reality is very different. As evidenced by La roux's shocking musical output. But you would never ever ever be able to convince her that she's shite. In her world she is always right, and everyone that disagrees with her always wrong. 

Edited by russycarps