The BBC Radio 6 Music Festival 2016

5co77ie

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So annoyed. Was half full beforehand so nipped out to get a pint, came back and was locked out with loads of other people (underworld last night). Friends inside said it wasn't that busy. So I basically paid £45 to stand in a foyer listening to reggae. Asked about a refund and was sent around the houses. Ultimately Colston hall said not their fault and to speak to the BBC! Gutted.

Edited by Homer

On 2/14/2016 at 8:26 AM, eFestivals said:

I'd be surprised if London ever got to host it. It would be like a normal London weekend of gigs.

And the next one will be up north somewhere, that's how these BBC things always work.

Well you don't quite get entry for that price to those gigs and its better bands in one weekend :P and we have stuff like the Camden Crawl/Camden Rocks =p  (but just outside/within travelling distance would be good.)

Not sure if it will be north north though, as Hull will likely get the Big Weekend as their City of Culture next year?

8 hours ago, LondonTom said:

Not sure if it will be north north though, as Hull will likely get the Big Weekend as their City of Culture next year?

My own guess for next year is Scotland somewhere - most likely Edinburgh or Glasgow, tho I guess places like Aberdeen might have a shout - after having had the first 3 around England.

Cos it's done by the beeb, they have to be very aware of spreading it around and not offending part of the country by it being left out.

If London is ever going to get it, I'd say that's at least 5 years away.

The East Midlands are completely overlooked by the BBC in relation to these sort of things. In the 13 years they've been doing the Radio 1 Big Weekend it's never taken place in the East Midlands so it would be nice if next year the BBC 6 Music Festival recognised that & chose Nottingham, Derby, Leicster or Lincoln to host. 

21 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

The East Midlands are completely overlooked by the BBC in relation to these sort of things. In the 13 years they've been doing the Radio 1 Big Weekend it's never taken place in the East Midlands so it would be nice if next year the BBC 6 Music Festival recognised that & chose Nottingham, Derby, Leicster or Lincoln to host. 

Somewhere always has to be last, just by the nature of things.

However, Scotland likes of make lots of noise about such things, and that ultimately has an effect - which is why my own thoughts are that Scotland gets the 6music fest next year. If not next year, it'll defo be the year after.

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

Somewhere always has to be last, just by the nature of things.

However, Scotland likes of make lots of noise about such things, and that ultimately has an effect - which is why my own thoughts are that Scotland gets the 6music fest next year. If not next year, it'll defo be the year after.

It's not really a case of being 'last', a lot of the regions have already hosted twice whilst the East Midlands remains completely over looked. It would be great if BBC 6 Music rebutted that trend next year, with Scotland the year after. 

Much as I'd also love to see this in the East Midlands, I think you're overlooking the fact that for a couple of years, Radio 1's big Sunday was held on Victoria Park in Leicester... people still speak fondly of how Coldplay charmed all by playing for longer than they were supposed to (hmmm..) and Kylie Minogue did her diddy dance thing. 

And let's not forget that for a few years, 6 music broadcast from Summer Sundae as part of their outdoor broadcast set up.

Still - if Leicester keep doing their football thing, then I'm sure other things such as this might spin off... think Neil's right though and it'll go to another UK country first... 

14 minutes ago, seantizz said:

Much as I'd also love to see this in the East Midlands, I think you're overlooking the fact that for a couple of years, Radio 1's big Sunday was held on Victoria Park in Leicester... people still speak fondly of how Coldplay charmed all by playing for longer than they were supposed to (hmmm..) and Kylie Minogue did her diddy dance thing. 

And let's not forget that for a few years, 6 music broadcast from Summer Sundae as part of their outdoor broadcast set up.

Still - if Leicester keep doing their football thing, then I'm sure other things such as this might spin off... think Neil's right though and it'll go to another UK country first... 

The last time that was held in Leicester was 13 years ago, so I'd still argue the East Midlands are due a turn before anywhere else. I agree that Neil is probably correct, I just don't think it's necessarily the right decision by the BBC. 

Nottingham has plenty of venues that could accommodate either festival.