Bilbao BBK 2016

pete76

Hi everyone,

I'm planning on travelling to from Australia to Bilbao solo arriving the day before BBK Live. I'll be alone and with my backpack full of clothes and valuables (passport, laptop, etc) and I realise this isn't ideal but the prospect of seeing New Order is too juicy to pass up on hehe. Basically I'm wanting to know as much info as I can about the event to help ensure I don't die/lose all my shit. Would it be wisest to camp on site and get a ticket with a tent included or would I be best off in a hostel in town? How often do the shuttles run and do they stop at a certain time? Is it risky taking 'stuff' into the festival or would I be better off to try and buy once I get inside? Any info or tips would be greatly appreciated because I can't speak Spanish and I'll be all alone so help a brother out. Peace xxxx

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, nicklovett said:

Hi everyone,

I'm planning on travelling to from Australia to Bilbao solo arriving the day before BBK Live. I'll be alone and with my backpack full of clothes and valuables (passport, laptop, etc) and I realise this isn't ideal but the prospect of seeing New Order is too juicy to pass up on hehe. Basically I'm wanting to know as much info as I can about the event to help ensure I don't die/lose all my shit. Would it be wisest to camp on site and get a ticket with a tent included or would I be best off in a hostel in town? How often do the shuttles run and do they stop at a certain time? Is it risky taking 'stuff' into the festival or would I be better off to try and buy once I get inside? Any info or tips would be greatly appreciated because I can't speak Spanish and I'll be all alone so help a brother out. Peace xxxx

If I were you I would go to a hostel or a hotel in town. There are plenty of buses anytime you need them, although you will probably have to wait a bit at certain hours (just before the headline acts). Regarding the "stuff", entrance controls are effective detecting larger objects (bottles, cans...), smaller things can be taken into the festival easily.

Btw, two new names today, Tame Impala and Jagwar Ma:

7ab12cd2-fe08-448f-a188-1c9c90881413.jpg

1 hour ago, pryce said:

looking at this instead of Nos ...something different

people talking about another headliner on here ... I thought Pixies were headlining

They are headlining but there's nothing to say it couldn't end up being a co-headlining deal as it is at NOS with the Chemical Brothers.  When they announced Tame Impala, there was nothing explicitly stating that they would be the final headliner announced.

7 minutes ago, Lord Rooster said:

They are headlining but there's nothing to say it couldn't end up being a co-headlining deal as it is at NOS with the Chemical Brothers.  When they announced Tame Impala, there was nothing explicitly stating that they would be the final headliner announced.

cheers..don't mind if no other headliners to be fair

just need to start this new job and see if they will let me have the time off

hoping John Grant gets announced but doubt it as Nos and BBK usually announce shared bands in a similar time frame

12 minutes ago, Lord Rooster said:

Tame Impala were announced as headliners in the spanish version of their announcement in BBK's Facebook.

22 minutes ago, johnybegood said:

Tame Impala were announced as headliners in the spanish version of their announcement in BBK's Facebook.

It's also on the English version of the announcement on the website, stating that they'll be sharing headline duties on the same night as Foals.  I seem to recall them being announced as the fourth headliner on Facebook but, as I said, there was nothing stating that there couldn't be a fifth yet to come.

30 minutes ago, Gudu said:

Anyone know when will the line-up will be complete ? 

I was wondering about this myself and had a quick look back through Facebook posts for the past two festivals.  It seems last year that the final acts were announced around the middle of February.  However, in 2014 it was closer to the middle of April, if I remember correctly.

3 hours ago, Gudu said:

Is there a possibility of another big headliner ? Radiohead is at the NOS festival, since they share some of the bands in BBK, maybe they can come over there ?

I'd guess the likelihood of another act of that size is relatively slim.  If Pixies aren't outright headlining, they'll most probably be sharing the top billing with someone else around the same size.  At NOS Alive it seems they're being billed at the same level as Chemical Brothers and Robert Plant, so it's possible that BBK could still get one of those.  At a push, they could possibly end up with FATM or The National but it'd probably be someone smaller.

Fairly sure Primavera have Radiohead as a Spanish festival exclusive.  On top of that, I'm not sure if BBK have ever repeated a headliner yet, so the likelihood of having them back so soon after 2012 seems unlikely even without the previous point.

• 3 weeks later...

new confirmations & more...

Jueves 7
ARCADE FIRE/ NEW ORDER/ M83/ CHVRCHES/ HOT CHIP/ YEARS & YEARS/ WOLF ALICE/ HOLA A TODO EL MUNDO/ HIDROGENESSE/ RURAL ZOMBIES/ BEGIZ BEGI...

Viernes 8
PIXIES/ UNDERWORLD/ GRIMES/ LOVE OF LESBIAN/ JOSÉ GONZÁLEZ/ JUNIOR BOYS/ SLAVES/ BLOSSOMS/ BELAKO/ NUDOZURDO/ C. TANGANA/ INHEAVEN/ GREEN CLASS...

Sábado 9
TAME IMPALA/ FOALS/ EDITORS/ FATHER JOHN MISTY/ COURTNEY BARNETT/ JAGWAR MA/ TRIÁNGULO DE AMOR BIZARRO/ WAS/ YELLOW BIG MACHINE...

http://bilbaobbklive.com/es-es/noticias/noticia/ArtMID/3920/ArticleID/179/bilbao-bbk-live-suma-a-underworld-y-editors-y-presenta-la-distribuci243n-de-su-cartel-por-d237as-

Feel as if the NOS line-up edges it due to having Radiohead and Biffy but this is still far better than any UK festival line-up that's been announced this year and one of the best in Europe overall once you factor in pricing and location.

However, Arcade Fire, New Order, M83, CHVRCHES and Hot Chip on one day may just make that Thursday the strongest festival day line-up I've ever seen!

Edited by Lord Rooster

I've been eyeing this one up a bit. Is this all one one stage, or is there more? I would 100% want to see Arcade Fire, New Order, Hot Chip, Underworld, Foals, and Tame Impala if I went. Is there still more names to come? I doubt I will go, but just keeping it in mind.

1 hour ago, Alan_C said:

I've been eyeing this one up a bit. Is this all one one stage, or is there more? I would 100% want to see Arcade Fire, New Order, Hot Chip, Underworld, Foals, and Tame Impala if I went. Is there still more names to come? I doubt I will go, but just keeping it in mind.

There are two main stages which alternate, so it's possible to see all of the biggest acts one after another if you feel so inclined.  Based on previous years, what has been announced so far is around 50% of the full line-up and there should likely be at least three or four more fairly well-known acts among what's left to be added.

How do people go about getting tents, sleeping bags etc to a foreign festival? The limitations of weight of stuff on a flight, plus carrying everything sounds like a fuck on?

3 hours ago, Alan_C said:

How do people go about getting tents, sleeping bags etc to a foreign festival? The limitations of weight of stuff on a flight, plus carrying everything sounds like a fuck on?

Couldn't really comment on that option as both times I've just opted to go for a full week stay in an apartment.  Think there's still some well-priced hotel and flight package options available if that's a possibility for you.  

A quick search on Expedia for a Sunday to Sunday trip with seven nights hotel and (decently timed) flights came back at £360 per person based on two sharing.  Granted, it isn't that cheap but given that return flights will likely cost somewhere around £180 each regardless of the duration of your stay and factoring in the extra cost of excess baggage for tents and what-not, it may work out as a better deal overall, depending on your budget.