On a different note...Euro Football at G16!

Cooter

well they didn't "kick" any bands off, they just booked and scheduled bands with that time left free.

Primavera did it for the Champions League final and that's about 40k? showed it on the 2 biggest stages i think.

the problem for Glastonbury would be not knowing until a few days beforehand where any of the home nations will finish in their group and thus won't know which day/time they'll be playing.

a dedicated field or several screens around the site would definitely be preferable.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well they didn't "kick" any bands off, they just booked and scheduled bands with that time left free.

Primavera did it for the Champions League final and that's about 40k? showed it on the 2 biggest stages i think.

the problem for Glastonbury would be not knowing until a few days beforehand where any of the home nations will finish in their group and thus won't know which day/time they'll be playing.

a dedicated field or several screens around the site would definitely be preferable.

Kick off/schedule football instead of band.

Potato/potahto.

Edited by stuartbert two hats

Yeah that's the main thing God knows how they'll do it. Using the naughty corner is definitely a shout 

if they are intent on showing a match on Fri-Sun, then a much more workable idea than trying to find a massive field from somewhere, would be to book one less band for that stage for that day, or have Band B playing elsewhere and tighten up the gaps between acts on that stage..

you can also move an earlier act or 2 to a different stage and shift the 3pm ones earlier. for example, Sunday last year, SOAK could have played the Acoustic stage (which didn't start until 12, rather than 11 like other stages, it would also have suited her music MUCH better), and Adam Cohen could have played elsewhere, then shift Palma Violets and Twin Atlantic back an hour and that's a 2hr window where no music is being played on the Other Stage. the stage setup can continue during it for the acts playing before and after it.

No matter how you slice it, you end up with one fewer band on one stage. Assume that that's your favourite band. Are you still okay with it? Because it will be someone's favourite.

Wed/Thurs is a different matter and fine as far as I'm concerned, at least if the weather is okay.

The issue of course is space. Last time they had two huge fields devoted to it, which filled up. Other likely wouldn't be big enough, Arcadia certainly wouldn't be. That's the essential issue: the number of people who really, really want to see it is quite small. But the number who would turn up for an England game if they did show it is absolutely huge. It's actually the one circumstance where a premium model might work.

No matter how you slice it, you end up with one fewer band on one stage. Assume that that's your favourite band. Are you still okay with it? Because it will be someone's favourite.

no, you don't, the 2nd option I outlined clearly shows that same amount of bands. there's plenty of places and ways to shift that band elsewhere and not lose any others.

of course, the way it usually works is 6 bands are booked instead of 8. i wouldn't really care about my favourite band not playing if i didn't know they were playing in the first place.

Edited by ghostdancer1

well obviously plan for that and leave enough room or whatever, i'm sure the professionals who schedule these things can manage to work something out...

You've not looked at the fixture list, have you? There's way too many possible slots that home nations teams could potentially be involved in, at 2pm, 5pm, and 9pm on the main music days.

And the kicker is, nobody will be sure which team will be playing in which game until 2-4 days beforehand.

You've not looked at the fixture list, have you? There's way too many possible slots that home nations teams could potentially be involved in, at 2pm, 5pm, and 9pm on the main music days.

And the kicker is, nobody will be sure which team will be playing in which game until 2-4 days beforehand.

i have, as i've already pointed it out, as it's the major reason why it's troublesome and probably unworkable on the Saturday or Sunday. if the fixtures were known then it would be fine.

it's certainly workable on the Wednesday. they could show the Wednesday games there and none there on Saturday/Sunday. that way no fields have to be re-purposed and no schedule issues.

Edited by ghostdancer1

Not checked back in the thread.

Which year (was in the last 5/6) did they put a big screen up at the back of bushy ground or rivermead for some major football event.

If they are going to do anything special for it rather than just on some TV screens in the Avalon Bar then I'm pretty sure they've set the precedent on how to cope with a big event with unknown times/days......they'll just stuff it out the back there again rather than cock about with what the stages are meant to be there for

Which year (was in the last 5/6) did they put a big screen up at the back of bushy ground or rivermead for some major football event.

If they are going to do anything special for it rather than just on some TV screens in the Avalon Bar then I'm pretty sure they've set the precedent on how to cope with a big event with unknown times/days......they'll just stuff it out the back there again rather than cock about with what the stages are meant to be there for

Just to illustrate the almost impossibility of trying to schedule music around football, or vica versa, I've done up a little chart showing where potential 2nd round matches could fall, depending on which group teams are drawn into. Who's involved with the final fixtures won't be confirmed until the Wendesday of the Festival at approx 10pm when the 1st round concludes.

England can't be drawn into Group A, but apart from that anyone can get put anywhere. Given that there's 3 Home Nations at the Festival (and potentially Ireland who will also have a large audience), even considering using a main music stage to show matches is just unworkable.

Untitled.png

Edited by incident

Nice work, however it should be noted that we will get a far better indication after the draw's made and we know the groups. There will only be two possible times per team depending on whether they win the group or come second. 

Not under the new format - that's why it's so complicated.

The best 4 out of 6 third place teams will qualify - basically meaning that most of the teams at the tournament make it to the second round.

That was 2010. It was just fortunate timing it happened the same year they had those new fields. If the precedent was set then, it was broken in 2014, when they did nothing. It turned out to be moot as England didn't get through, but no plan was in place.

Just reading through the football thread on the "discussions" part of this forum.

Aggression, abuse, threats. People being called c**ts for no other reason than the team they support. The exact same behaviour I saw every saturday when I lived on the doorstep of a football stadium

Seems you people thinking that festival goers who are also football fans are somehow different from all the other knuckledraggers are gravely mistaken.

You just described pretty much just every thread in the discussions part of the forum to be fair...

It's actually the one circumstance where a premium model might work.

Not a bad idea actually and could make having a dedicated Footie field somewhat viable, there is plenty of land around the site but it does come at a cost. Could even be a nice little earner for a land owner not connected to the festival if they decide to go ahead and not show it again. Have a bar set up and no drinks allowed in, I'd imagine you would make a fair whack!

Removing a band/having the footie on the stages over fri-sun is complete non starter for so many reasons even if we knew when the home nations are playing (and I say that as someone fully in support of the option to watch it.)

Good point re 2014

It must have been really badly supported/attended in that area in 2010 for them not to bother doing anything special again....unless you know differently?

Looks like 2010 may have been the death of any special provision for live sport

No, it was rammed in 2010. But that land is camping now. And there's no new land readily available, as far as I know.

2010 was, quite frankly, dumb luck. The festival was aware that camping fields were getting more and more crowded (mostly because of larger and larger tents) and so there was a need to expand camping significantly. That year they bought most of the NW camping fields into the festival, to essentially provide that camping space for the growth in requirements they expected over the next few years. But they didn't need all that space in 2010. Indeed, I don't think they've added any more camping fields since 2010, but while visitor numbers have stayed roughly the same, the fields have got busier and busier. It was a long-term plan.

So when it got to May, and it looked there would be an England game, and the festival had scads of camping space available that it knew it didn't actually need that year... they were able to put some of it aside as a football field, thus easily addressing any worries. It was a happy accident.

I did half expect to see the remnants of some similar backup plan in place in 2014, but there wasn't.

It's not impossible that a similar happy accident could happen next year. But it's not going to be a priority for the festival.

I wouldn't be averse to them playing any penalty shoot outs during band breaks, that's the fun bit. I love a bit of darts too, are there any tournaments on during the festival we could show on the Other Stage screens during dreary indie act no. 46? In fact, scrap the first act on the Other Stage and put on Formula 1. I'm so used to hearing that neeow of motor racing when hungover I'll happily drift back off to sleep.

Just to illustrate the almost impossibility of trying to schedule music around football, or vica versa, I've done up a little chart showing where potential 2nd round matches could fall, depending on which group teams are drawn into. Who's involved with the final fixtures won't be confirmed until the Wendesday of the Festival at approx 10pm when the 1st round concludes.

England can't be drawn into Group A, but apart from that anyone can get put anywhere. Given that there's 3 Home Nations at the Festival (and potentially Ireland who will also have a large audience), even considering using a main music stage to show matches is just unworkable.

Untitled.png

That's damn handy thanks. So after the draw there'll be possibly half as many slots and maybe even home nation games clashing?

I'm not a fan of football - but in the same barn as those who believe - if people want it, let it be screened, like in some bar with a big screen or something. 

my first Glastonbury was 2000, and I'll always remember walking in complete awe for the first time  - lost for 3 hours trying to find the field my tent was in - but had a lovely walk nevertheless - seeing sights I've never seen before -and walked past a little group of people, cheering, watching some football game in some bar area in some field, somewhere. I thought, that was nice of them to screen the football for the fans, now which field I'm I in now?!  Where you there? if so, I walked passed you!

• 1 month later...