FGW Train Strike

Ouch, that will call carnage for those coming from the West.

SW trains out of London will be properly heaving too, selfishly Im glad Im only heading as far as Clapham Junction on the Thursday, trains shouldnt be too bad on the Friday AM I hope...

I don't actually know how I'm going to get there and back from Bristol now. I despise FGW already, they are the worst train company I use regularly. Give the staff what they bloody want! Your service is shit enough as it is without undermining your workforce and ruining my weekend!

I live in Reading but I'm leaving the festival on Saturday afternoon and heading to London to see The Gaslight Anthem and the returning after, looks like it's gonna be a pain in the arse! I've also just read that the August bank holiday is set to be a Complete washout with arctic weather heading our way and 3 inches of rain falling... Fuck.

I'm glad I am getting the coach up! How annoying for festival goers though and loyal train customers. Give the staff a rise!

My understanding of it is getting there shouldn't be a problem but it is a problem for day ticket holders on Saturday and Sunday and there will be problems on the Monday heading back from the festival.

Edited by Chris_Hayter88

I'm glad I am getting the coach up! How annoying for festival goers though and loyal train customers. Give the staff a rise!

My understanding of it is getting there shouldn't be a problem but it is a problem for day ticket holders on Saturday and Sunday and there will be problems on the Monday heading back from the festival.

as far as i've read the whole thing hinges on how some staff are going to be made redundant with the change in train type being implemented in 2017 as they will no longer be needed, so im prety sure its not a pay dispute for once. 

This decided me not bothering to get a saturday ticket now though xD

wont it also affect friday day ticket holders as the strike starts at 00:01 on the saturday so only 36 minutes after the music stops

Edited by Muppetmark

Bracknell is on SW Trains, so you'll be fine.

Well, the issue could be that the trains may be so rammed there will be no getting on at Bracknell!

I probably won't be heading in as early as most day ticketers so should hopefully be alright and if it's packed it's still only 20 mins at the end of the day.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

And now there is a proposed tube strike on the Friday.....

its more than one day - Tube services will be affected between Tuesday 25 and Friday 28 August.

I am sure the First Great Western rail workers strike and the tube strike is a big factor in some people selling their tickets cheap

The WBC are not working at it this year which is a lucky break as I would not fancy trying to get from my place { near Enfield } to Clapham Junction where the crew coach would have departed from on Wednesday 26th of August as it would have been dead tricky to reach the London Overground. 

The WBC are not working at it this year which is a lucky break as I would not fancy trying to get from my place { near Enfield } to Clapham Junction where the crew coach would have departed from on Wednesday 26th of August as it would have been dead tricky to reach the London Overground. 

Might have taken this out of context, but are you saying WBC aren't doing Reading this year? Is the bar setup changing?

One of the things I like about Reading is that getting a beer is never any problem. The bars are usually run brilliantly. I hope this isn't changing. I also like that the festival supports the WBC.

Edited by johnmcga

Might have taken this out of context, but are you saying WBC aren't doing Reading this year? Is the bar setup changing?

One of the things I like about Reading is that getting a beer is never any problem. The bars are usually run brilliantly. I hope this isn't changing. I also like that the festival supports the WBC.

Indeed, this is a bit of a worry

Indeed, this is a bit of a worry

Well the WBC who have been at Reading since 1989 bid was not accepted this year either for Reading and Leeds so the bars will be a lot different - I know that Barcode Recruitment has been advertising for staff but there may be another Company involved.They are the same people who run the bars at V Festival so I would imagine they will mirror their V Festival bars .

I have no information as to if they will be in the same place as last year.

over the years the WBC has been at Reading they have a bloody good idea how many volunteer staff they need at any time so there is bound to be a few balls up with the new operators.  

when the bids were sorted out the new operator offered far more { a huge extra sum } and in fact we are puzzled as to how they will be able to make a trading profit so it will be interesting to see how they are able to cut corners unless they plan to hike up the bar price.

please let me know how you get on and try to get a shot of the bar prices.