Prince pulled out of the Sunday headline slot this year?

100borrowedfilms

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was the Croke Park show.. And he cancelled at least one of his "hit and run" shows last year at the last minute while fans queued outside. He's definitely done it more than most artists.

I'd forgotten about Croke Park. But I honestly don't think Prince has a bad record for pulling out of gigs. Generally speaking for any artist, if it is a last minute cancellation then they usually have a big problem rather than a hissy fit.

The 6 weeks thing is stupid if true. How did Hop Farm get around it?

I think he was booked at around the 6 weeks mark.

I'd guess too that it might have happened thru a contact of Vince Power's or someone working for him that was closer to Prince than others might get, to give him the confidence in Vince Power to do it.

I'd guess, too, that it involved copious amounts of money, quite possibly amounts waaaay beyond the commercial return on Prince - Vince was trying to re-establish himself in the music biz, had raised lots of investment money from the city, as well as having his fortune from selling up the original Mean Fiddler Group. It was quite possibly the case that booking Prince was more about trying to promote himself than it was about promoting Prince.

I would only ever see Prince at a festival, just to say I've seen Prince, I'd rather have Mumford & Sons back or Radiohead.

And I'd hope that you were bowled over by his performance and exited the Pyramid field feeling alive and like you wanted to shag something.

I'd forgotten about Croke Park. But I honestly don't think Prince has a bad record for pulling out of gigs. Generally speaking for any artist, if it is a last minute cancellation then they usually have a big problem rather than a hissy fit.

One of the ideas i've had is that something about that court case is what makes him reluctant to sign a contract more than 6 weeks in advance for a UK show - tho I'd have to see the detail of that court case to know if there might be something to that.

If he really did leave them in the shit late in the game, I wonder if Emily will wash her hands with him now. They certainly won't want to get in the business of asking other bands to cancel their own gigs again.

The 6 weeks thing is stupid if true. How did Hop Farm get around it?

He was a last minute addition, no? Ah Neil has confirmed as such.

I think if Prince wanted to do it, regardless of the timing of the announcement, he'd do it. He's announced plenty before with more notice.

Edited by GlastoSimon

Yeah, I knew about the money at Hop Farm, although I don't remember a figure ever being confirmed.

The whole money thing with Prince is strange too though. As I said earlier, he is quite happy to play absolutely tiny gigs. Also, I don't believe that Prince can't factor in the 'back-catalogue-sales-effect'. Shit, if it worked for Lionel and Dolly, the cash could properly flow in for him.

Ok then..

Phoenix

Toronto

Manchester

North America

It was clear at Hop Farm that he had got everything he wanted as well. Leaving aside the stories in the Mirror.

He had his own security come out to replace the normal event security. No press in the pit, in fact only people in the press pit of his choosing, Hot Chip in, some landfill indie band out. Larry Graham playing 3 down. The other stages and funfair finishing. An opening song which was basically a soundcheck.

I think that he doesn't much like playing open air festival type shows, he doesnt like the lack of control. Thats his prerogative. Annoying and irritating though it is.

I dont think he is purposefully dicking GFL around he just lives in Princeland and is unlucky to be rumoured every year as lots of people would love to see it happen. In some ways it is in GFLs best interests for it not to happen for a while as well as they havent got many big acts left to look forward to.

In some ways it is in GFLs best interests for it not to happen for a while as well as they havent got many big acts left to look forward to.

JESUS! Am I going to have to wait until he's actually 'Sunday legend' age? That's another 25 Glastonbury's. I'll be dead by then.

toi be fair, plenty of those were never-booked shows - it says in the text alongside.

Yeah, but that strengthens your earlier point that he is awkward to deal with. I feel like I'm losing this battle. He is just an odd, pain in the ass.... who should still play Glastonbury.... soon.

Oh c'mon! Step away from the annoyance and return to planet earth. :P

He's allowed to say no.

If they keep asking, he can keep saying no if that's the answer he wants to give.

You can't hold it against him for giving an answer.

I assumed he had given some sort of verbal indication this year that he would do it, that's my point... Badly made I admit.

So this year, when he said no, he left them in a bit of a pickle.

Previous years, fine, he didn't disrupt the bookings, but this year he seemed to decide very late it wasn't for him.

I think he'd be a great headliner and one that would probably go down really well

I assumed he had given some sort of verbal indication this year that he would do it, that's my point... Badly made I admit.

Previous years, fine, he didn't disrupt the bookings, but this year he seemed to decide very late it wasn't for him.

I think he'd be a great headliner and one that would probably go down really well

if Glastonbury is left scrambling that late, then it's really their own fault for not having things locked in, or a proper backup plan or suitable sub ready to step up.

if Glastonbury is left scrambling that late, then it's really their own fault for not having things locked in, or a proper backup plan or suitable sub ready to step up.

Yeah that's fair enough as well.

Maybe the lesson has been learned this year.

If he wants to play, let him make the moves next time

We don't actually know if any of that is true.

Most of what is believed about Prince is pure tabloid style speculation.  There have been many rumours (some of which have a little substance but are probably exaggerated) about him over the years and I very much doubt that many are worth paying credence to.

Most of what is believed about Prince is pure tabloid style speculation.  There have been many rumours (some of which have a little substance but are probably exaggerated) about him over the years and I very much doubt that many are worth paying credence to.

Perhaps, though I need to believe the Kevin Smith story is true. If you've not seen this before I hugely suggest giving it a go:

As the Irish promoter Denis Desmond said as that court case was settled, if he was Prince, he would get a good manager.

As the Irish promoter Denis Desmond said as that court case was settled, if he was Prince, he would get a good manager.

During the case it emerged that Prince had spoken about Mr Desmond and said 'tell the cat to chill, we will work something out.'

Mr Desmond added today that he was 'a very chilled cat'