Prince pulled out of the Sunday headline slot this year?

100borrowedfilms

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

didn't emily tweet something like 'contrary to reports, prince was not booked for this year's glastonbury and did not pull out'

can't remember where those reports came from, somewhere like the mirror.

the who roadie probably just read the report in the paper then later got told that the who were playing glastonbury instead of paris. which doesn't make story true or confirm anything really...

also if there is any truth in it, does anyone really think emily is so naive that prince or his people saying 'ooh yeah might play this year, won't sign a contract though and will probably pull out closer to the time but save the space for me anyway' would make them stop trying to book other acts.

prince has been rumoured every year in the run up to the festival that i've been going to: beyonce was going to sub but prince then chose hop farm and she got promoted, he was going to play but they had to book mumford in 2013, last year he was in talks but metallica got moved from other to pyramid and now the who stepped in to cover.

not sure i believe any of it.

he'll play one year though for sure. if you ask me, of the big acts, fleetwood mac screwed over the festival most when they chose isle of wight and added the dates at the o2 on glastonbury weekend.

didn't emily tweet something like 'contrary to reports, prince was not booked for this year's glastonbury and did not pull out'

can't remember where those reports came from, somewhere like the mirror.

the who roadie probably just read the report in the paper then later got told that the who were playing glastonbury instead of paris. which doesn't make story true or confirm anything really...

From what I've come to believe happened, Emily's tweet would be strictly accurate if it said what you're suggested. I don't believe that Prince was ever booked to have pulled out.

I do believe they hoped he would be doing it but he decided not to, tho I can't guarantee that's correct.

also if there is any truth in it, does anyone really think emily is so naive that prince or his people saying 'ooh yeah might play this year, won't sign a contract though and will probably pull out closer to the time but save the space for me anyway' would make them stop trying to book other acts.

prince has been rumoured every year in the run up to the festival that i've been going to: beyonce was going to sub but prince then chose hop farm and she got promoted, he was going to play but they had to book mumford in 2013, last year he was in talks but metallica got moved from other to pyramid and now the who stepped in to cover.

he'll play one year though for sure. if you ask me, of the big acts, fleetwood mac screwed over the festival most when they chose isle of wight and added the dates at the o2 on glastonbury weekend.

Agree 100% about FM, so short sighted to take the cash from IOW when you look at the uplift in sales Lionel has had.

I was watching some youtube footage the other day and came across a clip of Florence doing a cover of the chain in 2010, she started off by saying that she really believed they would be playing Glasto that year but unfortunately (for her) it didn't happen so it sounds like they have been dicking the festival about much longer than Prince.

From what I've been led to believe, this year was the only time he might have done it.

Latest i've heard is that he's recently said he'll never do it.

As much as I think Prince would put on a good show, fuck him.

I can remember back around 2001, 2002, he was being touted as a headliner... every year since it's probably been the same to a greater or lesser degree.

It's not like he's Hendrix.

Instead of creating problems for themselves by giving him whatever time he wants to make a decision, the organisers need to pull the plug on this ever happening and realise that he's not that big a loss

As much as I think Prince would put on a good show, fuck him.

I can remember back around 2001, 2002, he was being touted as a headliner... every year since it's probably been the same to a greater or lesser degree.

It's not like he's Hendrix.

Instead of creating problems for themselves by giving him whatever time he wants to make a decision, the organisers need to pull the plug on this ever happening and realise that he's not that big a loss

he'd be a good booking so why should they stop? and should they also stop chasing ac/dc, fleetwood mac, etc etc if they don't immediately sign up.

i think no - they should continue to pursue these acts as sometimes it eventually works out (the stones, u2) and if not, there is always foo fighters, florence, kasabian etc. doesn't exactly ruin the festival if we end up with the more normal festival headliners like these, there's lots of other stuff to do!

Agree 100% about FM, so short sighted to take the cash from IOW when you look at the uplift in sales Lionel has had.

I was watching some youtube footage the other day and came across a clip of Florence doing a cover of the chain in 2010, she started off by saying that she really believed they would be playing Glasto that year but unfortunately (for her) it didn't happen so it sounds like they have been dicking the festival about much longer than Prince.

Yep. 

It seems that every year speculation is strong that FM will play and it was at its strongest in the run up to this year. The vast majority of interested people believed that all that was left to do was to officially announce it. 

I'd say GFL would be vindicated if they never had any dealings with FM again. 

I find it all very bizarre. Prince would be massively well received at Glastonbury (if not by 50% of Efesters, including Neil). If he chose to, he is more than capable of pulling off one of the greatest headline shows ever to grace the Pyramid stage.

I reckon it would totally reinvigorate his career, which has pretty much bobbed along in obscurity since the 'Diamonds and Pearls' album. He is still an amazing musician and performer and if people were won over by the Kanye turdfest then I am convinced that Prince would convert sceptics before the end of his opening number.

Prince and Glastonbury are a match made in heaven and don't understand either Prince's reluctance or GFLs inability to make it happen. I don't think money is the issue as Prince is quite happy to play a four hour set in a small venue when the mood takes him. I know Prince (and management) have a history of being difficult to deal with but this doesn't seem to have prevented them from successfully agreeing thousands of shows in the past. I only ever recall him cancelling the European leg of the 'Sign of the Times' tour and I think this was down to illness/exhaustion/breakdown. He doesn't actually have a history of cancelling shows.

I just hope Prince sat at home in his purple throne watching Kanye and Lionel, gave a little wry smile and then phoned the farm.

The difference between Prince and FM seems to be that Prince fucks them about, FM appear to be clear that they're all about the money. Maybe FM might play in the next couple of years after taking bigger fee's elsewhere, but if Prince has left them in the shit at a late stage this year, then they should fuck him off forever.

but he does have a very unconventional approach to doing shows, and doesn't do many.

Agree totally with the first bit - but then there is nothing wrong in an artist doing it their own way.

Regards the second bit, I think you are overlooking the fact that Prince is a global artist. He springs up all over the world not just the U.S and U.K. While I would agree that he could play live a great deal more often, he is not exactly reclusive.

he'd be a good booking so why should they stop? and should they also stop chasing ac/dc, fleetwood mac, etc etc if they don't immediately sign up.

i think no - they should continue to pursue these acts as sometimes it eventually works out (the stones, u2) and if not, there is always foo fighters, florence, kasabian etc. doesn't exactly ruin the festival if we end up with the more normal festival headliners like these, there's lots of other stuff to do!

How many chances does he need?

This shit has been going on for well over a decade.

It's clearly unhelpful to the organisers as well. He's holding them to ransom in effect.

Edited by Space Shanty

I only ever recall him cancelling the European leg of the 'Sign of the Times' tour and I think this was down to illness/exhaustion/breakdown. He doesn't actually have a history of cancelling shows.

There was the Croke Park show.. And he cancelled at least one of his "hit and run" shows last year at the last minute while fans queued outside. He's definitely done it more than most artists.

Agree totally with the first bit - but then there is nothing wrong in an artist doing it their own way.

true, but it makes it mighty difficult for a promoter to realistically book him if he really does work to the often-rumoured "I won't take booking more than 6 weeks before a show" rule, for example.

And you say he doesn't have a history of not showing up when booked, but he certainly appears to have lost a court case around a show he supposedly cancelled for one of the bigger promoters working in the UK space.

So I heard, Live Nation were trying hard to book him for Hyde Park a few years back, and got told the '6 weeks before' thing ... and so in the end decided they couldn't leave a booking so late before the show as it didn't give enough time to find another act and promote it if he said no. So they got another act instead.