What's next for S.E corner?

Swine_Glasto2014

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to NYC Downlow on Thursday, massive queue to get in and they were asking £2 in the door, is that normal? I was a bit annoyed by that. Ended up meeting a friend who works there and manage to get in without queue/pay. But didn't go back to check on the other days. 

Shangri-la was great on Saturday night during the headliners. I didn't fancy any of the headliners on the main stages and took the night to explore the busier areas. Really enjoyed Slaves and Molotov Jukebox who played just before them. Good surprise. 

I like going to Shangri-la to check the activism bits, I really enjoy it. 

Did anyone come across that small venue which had people painting models in?  They had a DJ playing chicago house in the corner. 

Yeah, the portrait place. Its in The Common isn't it? Once watched Bohemianauts play naked there whilst they were being painted....

I feel they should really make more noise about that one tbh, seems to be plenty of people who think its just a money making scheme. 

They should, indeed. When I asked everyone around was surprised and quite annoyed and no one explained. A few people even left the queue..

we went into the los artistes bohemias venue, music was really good in there, interesting to see the people painting away....a young woman ended up getting a nude portrait of herself, this didn't go down well with a group of other young girls who stormed off saying it was disgusting:-)lol

What day was this? That may of been our group on Thursday

The girl getting a nude portrait done was completely out of her mind and was gurning like fuck apparently so a few of our group made a few comments about it and the girl's best friend was sitting in front of them and overheard so turned around and said that she was put up to it by him or something like that. So the girls in our group got a bit disgusted that her 'best friend would take advantage of her in that state and convince her to get nude in front of all these people when she wasn't in the right state to make that decision herself' and got up and left after a little confrontation with the guy.

I was right at the back blissfully aware of anything going on and had to get it explained to me at a later date, fair play if the girl was completely out of her mind but to me (in my mangled state) she didn't look too fucked and was happy to be up there by her own choice.

Edited by jonodillieono

This thread just reminded me of something. Anyone remember some place called the 'Twisted Disco' or similar in the late night area? This would have been around 2008 or 2009.

They gave you some crazy glasses that messed with your vision, then sent you into a nightclub type place that was basically like a house but with wonky floors, sofas on the wall etc. I remember it being brilliant fun at the time.

This does sound alot of fun!

This thread just reminded me of something. Anyone remember some place called the 'Twisted Disco' or similar in the late night area? This would have been around 2008 or 2009.

They gave you some crazy glasses that messed with your vision, then sent you into a nightclub type place that was basically like a house but with wonky floors, sofas on the wall etc. I remember it being brilliant fun at the time.

This sounds alot of fun! Bring it back!

This sounds brilliant fun! Bring it back!

What day was this? That may of been our group on Thursday

The girl getting a nude portrait done was completely out of her mind and was gurning like fuck apparently so a few of our group made a few comments about it and the girl's best friend was sitting in front of them and overheard so turned around and said that she was put up to it by him or something like that. So the girls in our group got a bit disgusted that her 'best friend would take advantage of her in that state and convince her to get nude in front of all these people when she wasn't in the right state to make that decision herself' and got up and left after a little confrontation with the guy.

I was right at the back blissfully aware of anything going on and had to get it explained to me at a later date, fair play if the girl was completely out of her mind but to me (in my mangled state) she didn't look too fucked and was happy to be up there by her own choice.

different naked girl!...We weren't in there til Saturday morning.  (unless she went back again for a second opinion!:-)lol

after I'd left the venue my mates did see a bit of kick off as some guy was trying to take pictures on their phone...it got very heated with one of the organisers ( not withstanding their no photos policy in that venue even more so as a result of the girl being in the nude im guessing,)

Edited by Northernsoul45

as for a music policy ...yes, have some drum n bass, but programming needs to be a lot better so have more choice of house/techno etc when drum n bass djs are on.

as for the late night bars/theatre/artier side, could this not be accommodated within Williams green / leftfield / the park?

Well the point is to have an interactive explorative experience type thing you need to find someone to run it then give them the space to run it in. Not sure where you'd find that density of space, or if they could afford to have a second group doing it.

Yeah I remember that place, deffo around 08 09 time and then disappeared. You got given a pair of old school 3d glasses so you could see all the special effects inside. Was good fun

I asked the Shangri La facebook group if they would ever return to the alleyways of 2010/2011 and they said (and I quote) "maybe".

So what's actually the difference between the current shangri la and the alleys?

For some reason I was under the impression that it was exactly the same except there was a roof on top of were all those minivenues where

So what's actually the difference between the current shangri la and the alleys?

For some reason I was under the impression that it was exactly the same except there was a roof on top of were all those minivenues where

the main difference now is that there are two arenas - heaven and hell - where the old alleyways just had one (the hub).  the way i remember it there used to be more micro venues - but i could be completely wrong on that, you know how one's memory can be affected in that area!

That's how I remember it - there was the hub and a huge dome whose name I forget and many more microvenues and hidden bits.

It still went through a post-headliner crush but the crowd congregated in one area and the rest was still passable

This current layout style the crowds for the two big stages spill into everywhere else and it's tougher to get about - a bit more separation between crowd areas and pathway could make a world of difference

Actually wasn't too bad near Hell, but the Heaven stage's mess spread back past the first set of hexagons, then feeding into the front of hell from them seemed a very odd choice

That's how I remember it - there was the hub and a huge dome whose name I forget and many more microvenues and hidden bits.

It still went through a post-headliner crush but the crowd congregated in one area and the rest was still passable

This current layout style the crowds for the two big stages spill into everywhere else and it's tougher to get about - a bit more separation between crowd areas and pathway could make a world of difference

Actually wasn't too bad near Hell, but the Heaven stage's mess spread back past the first set of hexagons, then feeding into the front of hell from them seemed a very odd choice

bassline circus i think?

The little venues in Shangri La where definitely the late night highlights for me, Shangrilati and Plutos especially, thought Bezs acid hiuse was great this year aswell.

Previous 2 years I thought Hell was brilliant but just walked past it this year too busy and know one on the line really appealing to me. Watched JeSuS and Craig Charles in Heaven and just didn't work for me.

I terms of improving the late night entertainment, I think The Common could squeeze another decent sized tent into it, maybe even another little bar. Also as people have mentioned Rocket dinner etc could make way for a better venue, I'd to see the part of Shangri La with the food stalls expanded backwards if at all possible making way for one or 2 more venues, a latter running Arcadia or a smaller tent nearby would help with spreading the crowd as would another venue in The Park.