Biggest downer at Glastonbury

sergiu

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It sounded like a hassle with your 'phone - just playin' :-)

You raised a good point - so many gigs are ruined a little by social media addicts.  Some idiot at Father John Misty in Feb felt the need to log into every conceivable SM app going to refer to the gig...without paying attention to it once!  During the encore, none other than Florence politely asked him to stop!

Biggest downer for me was missing the last half of catfish and the whole of jungle because i got soaked. Had to go back to the tent to change.

Another was being parked a mile and a half away from the nearest gate. Took about 40 mins to walk it.

I spent a good hour tracking down a Bloody Mary on Sunday while everyone I was with watched Paul Weller. Finally located one in the Cornish Arms, queued for 20 minutes only for the bloke about to serve me to go on his break. It was fate. I turned and plodded back to what remained of Paul Weller.

the lack of respect a lot and i mean a lot of people seem to have for the land and general environment. never seen so much litter on the main fields and campsites, with people just trashing their tents before leaving them ruined. look if you're going to leave your tent at least leave it in good nick so it can go to benefit someone else. also the increase in peeing in the streams and discarding of the laughing gas canisters (more widely usewd than ever it seemed to me, despite the warnings). what's worse is that a lot of these folk must have visited the greenpeace field and read the warnings but just carried on littering. i picked up several pieces of broken glass from near my tent. our group all bring bin liners to tidy up,not just our stuff but whatever we find, and make an attempt to have a recycle bin for cans plastic etc, but this year the litter has terrible - the worst i have seen in 14 years of coming to the festival.

i fear for the festival's future, i really do

Seconded, its almost like finding an extra level of freedom when the fucker finally dies. And Facebook? Jesus wept!

Facebook to contact people I wasn't camping with and had no other means of contacting.  Not to spend the weekend checking out people's selfies....

Other than Monday morning, my biggest downer had to be the 40 or so minutes of Pharrell's take on the Benny Hill Show. Not just the compilation of cheesey pop hits and the tacky dancing girls, but the fact the crowd was so huge and seemingly appreciative of such half-arsed utter w*nk.

Luckily the next two acts i saw that night were Suede and Slaves. Faith in (some) people restored.

Texas pulling out! Though it looks like they managed a track for the bbc the night before.... never mind the guy who replaced them was pretty good. 

Do we know why they pulled out?

For a good few minutes I thought the guy who replaced them was Charlene Spiteri doing a solo set lol

Singular moment - the undercover who gave me the evil eye after I caught a falling wasted girl on the way out of block9. Just snapped me right out of it

But generally the crowd which felt much more spectator-affluent - never seen so many chairs, so many bottles of wine and prosecco and actual glasses, so many non-communicative folk.

Bring on the mud!

My back was in a shit state for the whole weekend, I found this year more of a struggle than any previously. It did mean I spent a lot of the weekend in a pretty melancholy mood, as I've realised that it may well be my last Glastonbury as I know & love it - I can't see me physically managing another unless we can afford to campervan it next year.

That & getting massively wound up by all the people taking a piss where they liked & leaving their rubbish lying around for someone else to deal with. Lazy fucks.

discarding of the laughing gas canisters (more widely usewd than ever it seemed to me, despite the warnings). 

This is one of those comments that makes me wonder if we were at the same festival.  It seemed to me that laughing gas use was WAY down on any year in the last decade and a tiny proportion of how it was my last time in 2013.

I agree with what you say about disrespectful people.  For some it seems that going to a festival means devolving all responsibilities for their actions.  Hopefully living for a week among people with another attitude might rub off on them a little?

the domino effect of this was actually kind of brilliant - people i was with didn't want to do it as much because they didn't hear it as much and so thought it would bring more attention to them if they did (from either security or others looking to buy it)

edit: oops meant to quit gonzo there

Edited by FloorFiller

Not just this year but for the last few years I've got a bit down by the lack of open minds to explore the Greenpeace, Water Aid and Oxfam messages at the festival. It's not so much people avoiding those areas more the total distain they show to them that is depressing. It's as if people don't want to open up to new ideas that might be different to their 9-5, 2.5 children and a flash car approach to life

Also the litter - I saw numerous examples of people dropping litter and being "reminded" of the need to pick it up and then acting really aggresively and making a point of dropping litter to piss people off. It's not that hard to carry rubbish to a bin or general collection area - have we really got so lazy we'll walk round in fields of crap rather than hold onto it for ourselves