Biggest downer at Glastonbury

sergiu

the fact that i am still somewhat coming down from the festival is seriously putting me off wanting to go to Bestival later in the year (or go as hard as i did at any future festivals)

I'm in the exact same boat as you. Probably going to Bestival for the first fest on on my own.

I keep looking over the pictures from the weekend, gives me a smile, but ultimately I won't be back for another year if I even manage to get a ticket.

I also regret only being able to get a Thursday coach ticket, there was so much I could have fit in with an extra regular ticket & turning up on Wednesday.

Edited by Couchy

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually had a much easier time of it than last year. Despite the looks of it the litter was way down, the Pyramid after the Who had nothing on last year. Canisters also way down although we dont pick the Stone Circle so cant say how it was up there.

My only downer was 2 occasions when we were in frightening crowds that were vergng on needing intervention tho I knowNeil doesnt agree.

I actually had a much easier time of it than last year. Despite the looks of it the litter was way down, the Pyramid after the Who had nothing on last year. Canisters also way down although we dont pick the Stone Circle so cant say how it was up there.

I was picking at John Peel, and it was almost entirely cans, plastic bottles, and cups. Pleasantly surprised by how few NOS canisters and balloons I found.

Yeah I definitely feel like the whole NOS thing is a bit exaggerated here, think I heard them going off like twice.

nah you could tell they were being used MUCH less than the previous two years. you couldn't walk anywhere in '13 and '14 without hearing them go off, but this year it was only every so often. massive improvement

Yeah I definitely feel like the whole NOS thing is a bit exaggerated here, think I heard them going off like twice.

Last few years the stone circle, even in the day time, seemed awash. This year it was quite a pleasant surprise not to see any nos. I was quite surprised when I saw a canister on the floor on the Saturday. Only one I saw.

Only downer for me, apart from leaving, was some poor ribs I had from the place next to the rac shack. Should have had a second helping of raclette.

Not getting the tweet about the Dalai Lama till it after it had finished.

The way the seagulls gather on a Sunday means the end is nigh.

Waking up on a Monday morning to total silence across the site and unzipping the tent to see half the campsite has gone.

Leaving and the emotional comedown in general.

All of the above gets worse the more you go.

Being in a horrendous crowd trying to get back to my tent at around midnight on Friday... Both routes to access Pennards hill (on the side coming up from the Other Stage and also coming up from Glade) were completely gridlocked and took over an hour to get through. People pushing fences over and jumping into the next field was a v scary experience and not one I'd like to repeat! 

The way the seagulls gather on a Sunday means the end is nigh

I noticed this on Sunday. I was at the Other Stage just before Twin Atlantic I think, there were hundreds of them circling. Once the band came on, the scarpered but it was like a scene from a movie or something

I noticed this on Sunday. I was at the Other Stage just before Twin Atlantic I think, there were hundreds of them circling. Once the band came on, the scarpered but it was like a scene from a movie or something

They were there from the Thursday - squawking, fighting and shitting everywhere, but mostly right next to my tent.

leaving.. Could have stayed with my mates in crew on the Monday if my bloody work had bothered to tell me they'd given me an extra day off :-( had to run to my bus with all my gear cause I accidentally stayed out all night Sunday....oops!

Not knowing whether there would be many more Glastonbury's for me to enjoy. Judging by efestivals write up confirming the 2016 dates and fallow year, and I hope to god I can get tickets for the next 2 ones because if it moves, I will not be attending.

This is kind of confusing.  You can go to the next two?  So why don't you know if there'll be anymore for you to enjoy?  2017 is the fallow year, so '16 + '18 are on the current site? 

Random nastiness. On the way in our bus driver got lost, and everyone started shouting directions at him (which he deservered), but then out of the blue someone viciously shouted "you stupid, fat, f**ing c**t!" at him, which was completely over the top and not a good start to the festival.

Which coach were you on? I was on the Wednesday 09:45 from Bath which got lost and I remember there being a nutter shouting abuse although I didn't quite follow what he said!

Having my almost untouched bag of festival goodies nabbed by security. I'm sure he made a tidy profit on that

Hope you weren't the fella we saw that happen to outside the Avalon cafe IIRC. Felt so sorry for the guy but caught on what was happening a moment too late to say what was needed

Sad times

No real downer for me.

Maybe because of where I spent my time but to my eyes and ears, pissing, littering, NOSing (!) all better than in recent years.

There was a moment of melancholy though as I stood overlooking the site on Sunday night. A beautiful site but one I knew I could not see again for another year (ticket permitting).

I know we buzz about it for months on end, and don't get me wrong, I love the place, but by god it's hard work!!

By Sunday night I was spent. Chemicals were watched from a distance. Jamie T just seemed to get on my tits, even though he was one of my must sees. Even though I loved 2manydjs, I just couldn't get into it in a way I would have on Friday night.

And then comedown!!! Jeeez the comedown. Just awful. up until a couple of days ago I could only watch the highlights and read these threads with a grimace.

It's weird, now I'm past that stage it's all good. I'm enthusiastic with my tales and know that it was certainly worth it, but there were times last week where I was thinking it was going to be my last.

• 2 months later...