NFR NFC 2016 - The Friendly Thread for Lovely People

jeffie

53 minutes ago, mr gumby said:

Really hoping to catch Beans on Toast this year, missed him last time. Sounds like he's probably doing a few sets this year, so surely they can't all clash with other things (naive, I know!) 

I've seen him a few times and he's been very entertaining each time all for very different reasons. He's perfect for festivals and I intend on seeing him at least once at Glastonbury.

• Replies 19.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lucyginger

• mr gumby

• thurlow84

• A Guy Called Matt

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, ourkid1984 said:

I've seen him a few times and he's been very entertaining each time all for very different reasons. He's perfect for festivals and I intend on seeing him at least once at Glastonbury.

I'm hoping he doesn't clash with anything major on the Saturday, when he's apparently playing Avalon, as that's probably my favourite of the smaller stages. 

20 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

With no degree of false modesty or silly self-deprecation, Gnomy, that's very sweet but I'm not. I've just worked for a long time in a particular job and am therefore quite good at it. But lots of people are, and I am often reminded of how important all parts of the mankind machine are, and how we have to keep our part in that in perspective. I get cross when medics get too caught up in their own worthiness, or rather the lack of that in some others. What I do know is that what I do is a great privilege at times. Such as spending time talking to and explaining things to the grandparents of this child today, who had to be strong for the child after their own child, the child's mother, was killed in the same incident. Now that's fucking amazing.

Anyway, not a thing to dwell on, on a Friday night.

I love you guys. Even those who's musical taste is still entrenched in the 70's/80's.

;)

Ben

Don't care what you say Ben it takes someone special to be able to keep doing what you do and retain your humanity. 

Is there any sleep scheduled in The Schedule?

53 minutes ago, sheffieldlady said:

Tomorrow I am having a line up day, I intend on goin through everything and listening to people I haven't heard of. My biggest issue with glastonbury is I never decide what I want to do in the night time. So I always end up wondering around aimlessly. This year, I intend on changing that. And enjoying something and a venue for long enough. 

So, I like anything - by that I mean I am willing to give anything a try / listen then see if I like it or not. 

In a nutshell who do you recommend, artists who aren't well known in a mainstream way - your top 3 not to be missed!

My top 3 not very commercial acts that have been announced so far are in no particular order;

Ezra Furman

Hinds

Unknown Mortal Orchestra 

Top 3 who are slightly more commercial but not really Radio 1;

Beans on Toast

Band of Horses

Mercury Rev

6 minutes ago, mr gumby said:

I'm hoping he doesn't clash with anything major on the Saturday, when he's apparently playing Avalon, as that's probably my favourite of the smaller stages. 

I can see myself at Avalon a fair bit. I've got my fingers crossed for not too many horrendous clashes. I'm realistic enough to know there will be at least a few.

DAMMIT!! No wine after a crappy day cos been studying and just realised I have forgotten to print my exam permit. So going to have to get up extra early and drive to work to print it. Its the complete opposite direction of the exam. Cries. 

1 hour ago, sheffieldlady said:

Tomorrow I am having a line up day, I intend on goin through everything and listening to people I haven't heard of. My biggest issue with glastonbury is I never decide what I want to do in the night time. So I always end up wondering around aimlessly. This year, I intend on changing that. And enjoying something and a venue for long enough. 

So, I like anything - by that I mean I am willing to give anything a try / listen then see if I like it or not. 

In a nutshell who do you recommend, artists who aren't well known in a mainstream way - your top 3 not to be missed!

I can't do top 3 lists, they always end up as 5, or 10! So, I'll just list some. 

St. Paul and the broken bones

Seafret

Beans on toast

Band of skulls

John fairhurst 

Mac deMarco

Daughter 

Ferocious dog

oh, and Bixiga 70, because lists are better in odd numbers :) 

8 minutes ago, ourkid1984 said:

I can see myself at Avalon a fair bit. I've got my fingers crossed for not too many horrendous clashes. I'm realistic enough to know there will be at least a few.

Yup, there's always a clash or two! Avalon has gradually developed into a favourite. I don't think I saw anyone there my first year, but 6 years later I can see myself spending more time there than any of the main stages! 

7 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

DAMMIT!! No wine after a crappy day cos been studying and just realised I have forgotten to print my exam permit. So going to have to get up extra early and drive to work to print it. Its the complete opposite direction of the exam. Cries. 

Boo hiss to no wine! And exams! And unnecessary driving!

8 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

That's miserable HMV.  A soothing hot chocolate maybe?

Oh it will be ok, just an extra half an hour in the car to work then an hour to exam place. Need to get a calculator as well. Just prefer not to have to get up so much earlier. I'm an idiot. Could do with someone with me on the drive to read out notes. Lol

LOTS of wine tomorrow!!!! 

Sorry not been up to date on here with study and all. Worshipping and nekkid dancing will commence again tomorrow. Wishing all the broken bodies a speedy recovery. 

14 minutes ago, mr gumby said:

I can't do top 3 lists, they always end up as 5, or 10! So, I'll just list some. 

Seafret

Beans on toast

Band of skulls

John fairhurst 

Mac deMarco

Daughter 

Ferocious dog

See you there then :)

29 minutes ago, ourkid1984 said:

My top 3 not very commercial acts that have been announced so far are in no particular order;

Ezra Furman

Hinds

Unknown Mortal Orchestra 

Top 3 who are slightly more commercial but not really Radio 1;

Beans on Toast

Band of Horses

Mercury Rev

17 minutes ago, mr gumby said:

Seafret

Beans on toast

Band of skulls

John fairhurst 

Mac deMarco

Daughter 

Ferocious dog

Thanks for the lists both! I have heard of a fair few on the lists but plenty I haven't heard of. 

I need to venture to other threads and sort out a plan this year. Tomorrow is listening day. 

I'm going to work through the Glastonbury playlist and make another with fave acts to listen to more of their back catalogue. 

Will report back my thoughts!

Furthers lists / recommendations welcome. 

1 hour ago, verrymerry said:

If you're after new people to see at Glastonbury, there are a couple of playlists on Spotify, one by a guy called Richard something & the other by the NME; Found Ezra Furman & a few others to hopefully see :)

Richardmunden, who I didn't realise was our very own @Brave Sir Robin!

Well thank fuckity fuck for that. After being let down by neighbour who said I could use her printer I just went straight to exam centre and pleaded my case. They were lovely and had a blank permit and filled it in for me. Exam boshed. Avoided a muppet who nearly crashed into me. Much beeping involved. 

Home now and awaiting delivery of some very much need grape fortitude juice! 

Happy fucking sweary Saturday you bunch of lovely feckers!!!!

1 minute ago, H.M.V said:

Well thank fuckity fuck for that. After being let down by neighbour who said I could use her printer I just went straight to exam centre and pleaded my case. They were lovely and had a blank permit and filled it in for me. Exam boshed. Avoided a muppet who nearly crashed into me. Much beeping involved. 

Home now and awaiting delivery of some very much need grape fortitude juice! 

Happy fucking sweary Saturday you bunch of lovely feckers!!!!

Fab news, Humvee. No more stoopid tests before the Farm, I hope?

Ben

2 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Fab news, Humvee. No more stoopid tests before the Farm, I hope?

Ben

Not a fucking chance of more exams before Glasto. There's another in September but not sure I want to be trying to study in fun festival summer months. Might leave it till January but then that lengthens the time to get the next qualification. Will take a view but for now its party time!