Who were your top 5 of the weekend

dingbat2

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Future Islands - what a set, what moves, what a glorious mess I was in.

Sleaford Mods - loved it, especially when he was asking the crowd how the warm up act was.

Mik Artistik (Thurs night/Rocket Lounge) - amazing set, what a guy.

Hot Chip - after being so undecided, I fancied a sing along so went and had a really great time. It was very busy where I was stood though which took a bit of the fun out.

Some female comedian in the cabaret tent on Sunday night - purely for her joke at the end describing what it's like having a vagina. I could barely breathe.

Honourable mentions: Lionel who looked like he was having a great time, but I was in a dud spot for the sound, could barely hear anything and I left early, and Juck Juck Grunzie for their Friday set in the pissing rain who put in a great performance despite the horizontal rain.

Run The Jewels

Rival Sons

Sleaford Mods

King Gizzard (crowsnest)

Drenge

I was intrigued by King Gizzard Crows Nest set – I didn’t manage to find my way up there for it but how did it work? Did all 7 fit in the tent with their amps, did they have both drum kits, I couldn’t see them lugging all them up there! I would imagine it was a tight squeeze? Was it just a small acoustic set up?!

In no particular order, based on enjoyment, and subject to change as the higher functions in my brain come back online.

Dub Pistols @ Glade. Absolutely blew the roof off, especially with Mucky Weekend.

Vintage Trouble @ Holts. As someone already said, if you saw it you know.

ChainSka Brassika @ Croissant Neuf. Such a tight set, and the energy they generated for 1am was incredible.

Land Of The Giants @ Bread & Roses. An hour's solid bouncing.

Lionel, obviously.

Bear's Den - incredible atmosphere and decent crowd considering up against Lionel.

The Waterboys - the talent, and was in front pit for that. Great singalongs.

Kanye West - unpredictable, and the energy.

Mark Ronson - caught second half of set. Probably more to do with the guest than the man himself.

The Zombies - great history lesson

A special mention for the band on at rum shack in south East corner around mid night Fri (possibly a bit later). Country/folk band playing hip hop classics. Just brilliant.

In a vague order, but I keep changing my mind.

1. Patti Smith

Simply put - one of the greatest performances I've ever seen at Worthy Farm in 15 years. Nailed it in every sense of the word. The setlist was perfect, the Dalai Lama moment was perfectly judged and her energy and sheer force of personality was flawless. I've never seen such a whirlwind of energy and legend on the stage. Utterly mesmerising. And christ, that silence when she read the poem out before The Dalai Lama came out - never heard anything like that on the Pyramid.

2. The Libertines

Not sure what to say. I was obsessed with that band from 2002 through to 2006 and never saw them with Pete, for a number of reasons. I saw them at Leeds in 2010 and was utterly deflated at the phoned-in, lacklustre, "don't want to be here except for the money" feeling. And despite the recent good vibes, I never thought I would see them together how I remembered it. Moment past, etc. But from the moment that cheer went up when the banner rose, there was something magical in the air where we were at the front. And that chemistry was there again - those beautiful moments with Pete and Carl. Incredible setlist, perfectly judged and seemed 100% genuine. I'd waited 13 years for that show and I bawled my eyes out at the end of 'Don't Look Back into the Sun'.

3. Lionel Richie

Flawless performer, consumate professional and totally and utterly GOT IT. The fact he was looking like he was having so much fun radiated out to the audience and made it one of those wonderful communal moments. I was stood next to this huge bearded, tattooed biker and his wife. As soon as the chorus to 'Easy' kicked in, he burst into floods of tears and gave me a hug. I still get goosebumps thinking about it.

4. The Chemical Brothers

Spectacular. It was the first thing I'd seen on the Other Stage and f**k me, they've sorted the sound out. Those visuals were one of the finest things I've ever seen and the atmosphere was electric. The moment when they first started 'The Sunshine Underground' was utter magic and I haven't heard a better closing duo than 'Galvanise' and 'Block Rocking Beats' to end a festival since Blur in 2009. I thought I had no energy left, they gave me plenty.

5. Hot Chip

Again, they utterly nailed their opportunity to headline. I was surprised when they played 'Over and Over' so early but it totally won the crowd over. That closing section with Dancing in the Dark and All My Friends was brave and glorious. So happy - one of the best live bands getting an incredible crowd and they looked amazed.

Special shout to The Waterboys (more tears during The Whole of the Moon), The Mothership, Future Islands, Kitty, Daisy and Lewis and Burt Bacharach.

So many memories. Best Glastonbury ever!

Edited by foolsgold1981

Bear's Den - As said above, such an awesome atmosphere in Avalon considering they played a small stage at the same time as Lionel.  They seemed completely overwhelmed at how many people turned up and was probably my highlight of the weekend.  

Catfish & the Bottlemen - First time i'd seen them and despite being clearly not fully fit and the rain pissing down for an hour, thought they got on with it superbly.

Courteeners - Seen a times before so knew I'd enjoy, but maybe it felt so good as the sun had just came back out on Friday night and I was quite smashed, but was really, really enjoyable.

James Bay (BBC tent) - Made a late decision to go to Introducing to see James Bay over George Ezra and managed to get just behind the barrier.  Top talent and really enjoyed the intimate atmosphere.

Slaves (John Peel) - Never heard their stuff or seen them before, but were such a fun live band to watch.

Honorable mention to Pharrell Williams as I expected absolutely nothing from his set but had a fun time with the numerous singalongs!

John Fairhurst and band at the Glade was my highlight, quite extraordinary.

Molotov Jukebox - brilliant band and happy jump up and down music.

Lionel - caught me completely by surprise - I love it when artists look thrilled to be there.

Libertines - proper band!

Steel Pulse - took me back to my teenage years.

Honourable mentions to Patti Smith and John Cooper Clark.

Big thumbs down for Kanye. I missed Mothership for you. What a knob.

I was intrigued by King Gizzard Crows Nest set – I didn’t manage to find my way up there for it but how did it work? Did all 7 fit in the tent with their amps, did they have both drum kits, I couldn’t see them lugging all them up there! I would imagine it was a tight squeeze? Was it just a small acoustic set up?!

You could not move let alone see the stage..... Massive sound explosion coming from that tent. Mosh pit and crowd surfing before the power cut! Immense set.