Who were your top 5 of the weekend

dingbat2

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not the best year ever, line up wise, but still some real gems:

1. Super Furry Animals: pretty similar set to their show in london, but it was fab. Had huge expectations, and they were more than met.

2. Patti Smith: I literally knew none of her songs a few days ago, but picked up Horses on a bit of a whim. Absolutely magical. With anyone else, the Dalai Lama entrance might've felt insincere, but she was wonderful, a true artist. What album do I get next???

3. Chemical Brothers: Ummed and ahhed a little over The Who, but more than happy I went with the chems instead. First time seeing them, and they were an awesome final main act to 2015.

4. New York Brass Band: a great brass band playing a bunch of random shows. Great fun, and an amazing singer.

Non-music wise, lots of great food, an amazing beef/pulled pork place I hadn't tried before.

Thought Kanye was a bit meh. Don't listen to him much, but saw him in 06 at roskilde and he was amazing, full strings band, and cool tracks. This time it seemed like musician-ship had been replaced by auto-tune. Ultimately though, tastes aside he's one of the biggest stars in the world, and well deserving of the headline slot IMO.

Roll on 2016!

Ibeyi: Absolutely stunning performance and wonderful music.

Anna Freeman: Poet. Caught her set by chance on Sunday. Inspired me to write.

Run The Jewels: Love them, their music and their friendship on stage. They were genuinely moved by the crowd reaction as well. Just a fantastic set.

Jungle: If only for that kid who danced at the start. Watching that was then happiest I've felt for ages.

Mac Macartney: Speaker. Heard him briefly at a speaker's forum panel but he blew me away. Considered, concise, inspiring, wise.

Honourable mentions for Bear's Den whose gig at Avalon was absolutely lovely and a true connection between artist and audience. Also Courtney Barnett, whose live version of Small Poppies is something else.

The Fall - brilliant set, Elena even smiled, the band were enjoying it and they played Sparta (although Mark could probably spend an hour on stage sexually abusing Pingu and I'd still say that)

Sleaford Mods - one of the most intense sets I have ever seen

Patti Smith - my Glastonbury moment set / dust in the eye

Slaves - hugely enjoyable fun

Modestep - huge noise, moshpit, wall of death, live drum and bass at its best

Kanye (That set was the very definition of bringing it)

Belle and Sebastian (I got to touch his hand! It was amazing)

Run The Jewels (Somehow they surpassed my expectations)

Jungle (A great show made even better by a great crowd)

Father John Misty (Just complete brilliance from start to finish)

Everything Everything

Lionel Richie

Everything Everything (WG)

Death Cab For Cutie

La Roux

Never heard Everything Everything but caught them in Williams Green - absolutely amazing

The Smyths - there is a light that never goes out had everyone singing inside and outside the tent 

Peace up at the Rabbit Hole

Some blonde bird in Croissant Neuf Friday night

Burt Bacharach

Never heard Everything Everything but caught them in Williams Green - absolutely amazing

The Smyths - there is a light that never goes out had everyone singing inside and outside the tent

Peace up at the Rabbit Hole

Some blonde bird in Croissant Neuf Friday night

Burt Bacharach

Never heard such a reaction to a set of new songs, incredible!

In no particular order:

Súper Furries - great as always

Idlewild - nostalgic Dadmoshing going on - bit of a religious experience

George the Poet - the things he can do with words leave me without them

Dubioza Kolectiv - most fun ever

Slaves (Hell) - the crowdsurfing Manta Ray was my festival highlight :)

Wolf Alice (Park) - incredible set, really surprised me how good they were.

The Who - great end to the weekend, really enjoyed them.

Florence - Didn't expect much of her but went to her set cause some friends wanted to go. Loved her.

Gaslamp Killer - missed the first 15 minutes cause of Wolf Alice but the last half an hour was incredible, didn't know him at all before but now gonna have to check him out.

DFA1979 - very good set, the sound was terrible though and made me enjoy them less. Drums drowned out everything. (Btw, what was going on with the kick drum during Lionel)

Hot Chip were incredible.

Jon Hopkins was incredible.

Caribou was incredible.

FKA Twigs was incredible.

Todd Terje was incredible.

I mean I could keep going. Patti Smith, Belle and Sebastian, Run the Jewels, Sinkane...

This year was a special one for me, topped them all.

Father John Misty

Mavis Staples

Super Furry Animals

Lionel Richie

The Who

Other highlights included -The Libertines, Courtney Barnett, The Mother ship, Billy Bragg (playing an acoustic set at the toad hall) and seeing the Dalai Lama in the Sacred Space.

Edited by Boopickledaddy