Mass tent thefts in oxylers

Matt42

I've got a string of small bells which I tie to the zip of my tent. The idea behind this is that if a thief unzips the tent the little bells will start ringing. Whether this would wake me or not is another matter. It might, however, act as enough of a deterrent for the thief to move on instead of trying to venture further knowing that he/she might have woken the occupant (me) up.

This is the kind of thing I have;

$%28KGrHqZHJBQE-cNO%2129+BPojW9t3Sg~~60_

You can achieve a similar effect using empty alcohol or pop cans lashed together.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's shocking that people can take from you whilst your sleeping. Last year I got back to my tent to find it open but there was nothing worth taking in there.

I usually tie the door zips together inside the tent at night. Been to many festivals and never had a problem. Put half your money and bank card in the lockup so you've got something to fall back on should anything happen.

Edited by kaytee...

Why don't you just put your'e Wallet at the bottom of you're sleeping bag... Theft at a festival is easily preventable 

Just put it in the lockups before you go to bed, it takes no more than a couple of minutes.   Once I've got my tent pitched on Wednesday the first thing I do is dump my entire cash stash at the place and then use it to withdrawl a days amount each day...

Contactless payment is the future for sure.. but I guess if people nick your cards..?

If they go the way of download and use contactless they could use the photo from registration to check. For the first year I would at least give people the option to use cash as well. So if the system fails there will be a backup option. It is quite sad that this seems to be such a big problem

I was working other festivals this year. Was on fire tower duty and campsite patrols mostly. From the tower you're really looking for suspicious behaviour of people moving through the tents, as much as spotting fires or lost kids.The MO of the tent thief gangs was to scuttle around the camping fields with a stanley knife, slash side of tent, dip in, grab what they could see/feel, and move on. To the next empty/quiet tent. Total time taken about 5 seconds. Bells on zips, padlocking zips etc won't help much if they are operating in this style.

As for beating anyone up caught doing this; at one festival last month I spent an hour or so on duty in the company of a prison officer, one of 3 employed by the festival to patrol and spot known criminals who had spent time inside and were known to be doing this sort of organised thieving. Criminal gangs, armed with a stanley knife, unlikely to be alone, likely to be alert and sober. And probably fairly keen not to be apprehended, convicted and returned to prison.

The lock-ups are your friend, use them.

fc

I was working other festivals this year. Was on fire tower duty and campsite patrols mostly. From the tower you're really looking for suspicious behaviour of people moving through the tents, as much as spotting fires or lost kids.The MO of the tent thief gangs was to scuttle around the camping fields with a stanley knife, slash side of tent, dip in, grab what they could see/feel, and move on. To the next empty/quiet tent. Total time taken about 5 seconds. Bells on zips, padlocking zips etc won't help much if they are operating in this style.

As for beating anyone up caught doing this; at one festival last month I spent an hour or so on duty in the company of a prison officer, one of 3 employed by the festival to patrol and spot known criminals who had spent time inside and were known to be doing this sort of organised thieving. Criminal gangs, armed with a stanley knife, unlikely to be alone, likely to be alert and sober. And probably fairly keen not to be apprehended, convicted and returned to prison.

The lock-ups are your friend, use them.

fc

Very true.  What I find most disgusting is that scum like this actually buy a ticket with the express purpose of going to the festival and stealing, and fucking up the enjoyment of people who are  really looking forward to the festival.

In terms of the  type of  people  who do this, they are low grade scum.  Piss poor crims, right at the bottom of the food chain.

That said, they undoubtedly work in teams so unless you are capable, I would advise against "taking them on".

That said if it ever happened to me I would probably feel compelled to attack them.  If they resisted I would do whatever it takes to defend myself.  Anything.

Went to a biker rally run by the Hells Angels called the bulldog bash ...anyway thieves were working the tents and a announcements was made saying we are looking for you from the main stage on sat daytime .... later on about 6,30 between bands big bike dude came on stage and said he's got a announcement to make ......the thieves have been caught ....big cheer    ...... then on to the stage 4 lads and a girl where dragged out ...fuckers where shitting themselves  girl crying her eyes out .....  the police were not called this was  dealt by the Hells Angels  ( beated up ) then chucked off site !!!!

So putting off any one stealing from tents 

Seems good way to deal with them  if you ask me !

Went to a biker rally run by the Hells Angels called the bulldog bash ...anyway thieves were working the tents and a announcements was made saying we are looking for you from the main stage on sat daytime .... later on about 6,30 between bands big bike dude came on stage and said he's got a announcement to make ......the thieves have been caught ....big cheer    ...... then on to the stage 4 lads and a girl where dragged out ...fuckers where shitting themselves  girl crying her eyes out .....  the police were not called this was  dealt by the Hells Angels  ( beated up ) then chucked off site !!!!

The Angels do everything their own way .Not to be messed with under any circumstances.Those particular thieves were utterly stupid.

You have just got to be right off your rocker attempting to steal from Hells Angels. It was a racing certainty that they weren't going to be lenient or involve the police. They can be quite nice at times though - when I was 19 I went up to the Essex Chapter of the Hells Angels and asked the group if they could possibly sell me any dope (I was off my head with drink at the time). They said they wouldn't sell me any dope but if I wanted I could sit down with them and smoke it all night for free. Which I did.

You have just got to be right off your rocker attempting to steal from Hells Angels. It was a racing certainty that they weren't going to be lenient or involve the police. They can be quite nice at times though - when I was 19 I went up to the Essex Chapter of the Hells Angels and asked the group if they could possibly sell me any dope (I was off my head with drink at the time). They said they wouldn't sell me any dope but if I wanted I could sit down with them and smoke it all night for free. Which I did.

lol

Of course they did!  Dealing vs Personal Use ;)

We've been robbed twice - weds they took the cash out of my husbands wallet , talked him into staying - yomped back to car in the baking heat to get some beers as he'd lost his spending money and managed to enjoy SFA Friday night

Returned overnight to steal from him again - this time iPhone in his day pack and car keys that he'd kept after car trip incase I locked in boot. He's home now - went off site and I stayed to get car sorted as have 3 girlfriends here. Spent basically 8 hrs yesterday trekking to police then lost property and then hrs in welfare - AA said can't get me a replacement key til Friday so I'm hoping the spare key I'm paying some one £250 to drive down from Sunderland actually works or I'm screwed.

To top this off I'm not in great health due to a crohns flare up anyway so it's all a total nightmare getting about site.

Hopefully will be leaving around 7 tonight to drive home - if anyone wants a lift I'd be glad of the company !

My mates are leaving site at 1am on coach so options are limited really , I could have a drink today and head back tomorrow but I really don't feel safe sleeping here another night on my own.

We are in camplight btw

If anyone reads and needs a lift around 7 then let me know - I honestly don't know if I'll be able to drive back in one go on my Todd

Oh and a third phone I gave to my husband so I could at least contact him on his way back was left on the metro by him pissed up lastnight - I am beyond fed up now

Does Camplight not have security?

No nothing , just the normal security tower per rest of site - it's not cordoned off or anything so the spaces between tents were all just taken by general campers , and the couple of camp light staff members have been struggling to sort out stuff all weekend. Apparently there have been plained clothes camping in here since Friday - not one word from the camplight crew to advise additional security after the cluster of robberies on weds night here , mind they are pretty much in a haze of weed most of the time anyway