Where to camp at Reading 2015?

ellaboz

So, basically.. me and a few friends are heading to Reading this year (2 of us festival virgins, one reading goer and a frequent download attendee) and were wondering where to camp. I've seen tons of these forum posts but not one with actually useful updated advice, they're all from 09 - 11 and obviously, crowds change and different people attend every year. What were the camps like last year (2014)? Rowdiness etc?

We wanted to be fairly near the arena to avoid a trek and near to the entrance to also avoid more trekking. The one of us who's been to reading before says she frequents orange and purple and also yellow is good. She didnt give many reasons. When I suggested green she just said "green is gross". Does anyone know why green is gross?

A few of us are going early bird to pitch the tents so I think yellow sounds best (as I've heard they have a silent disco. I could be wrong, though.)

Any opinions on camps and advice and whatever from reading veterans would be lovely! We're all there for a party and arent too bothered about all that "getting some shut eye" mallarkey, ut you know.. don't really want to be fearing for our lives, either.

Camped in purple the past two years.

Was pretty much on a path in 2013 yet had hardly any trouble whatsoever, probably only had one person fall on my tent all weekend, the people around us were great too.

2014 I probably camped around 50ft away from the first year but unluckily was camped next to absolute scumbag degenerates, I can't be bothered to recount just how poisonous they were but I think it was extremely unlucky to be pitched next to them.

Purple is great as an area tho, relatively close to toilets yet not close enough to stink if you pick your spot right! Also I've always found loads of water is always close too which is always handy. The walk to the arena aint bad either + the noise is tolerable too, far from quiet yet not quite as rowdy as yellow seems to get. 

Also the silent disco isn't just limited to one campsite so you can camp anywhere and still go!

i hope "a bit more relaxed" doesn't mean families in camper vans! we're all there to get ridiculously drunk and have a laugh anyway. 16 year olds on ket could be pretty funny.. maybe we'll go ket-kid spotting in other camps. we're all prone to wandering.

also is anyone sure what the policies are for camp fires and that? i think i heard they were banned. could be getting confused with leeds though... i have no fucking idea what im talking about, as you can probably tell

i hope "a bit more relaxed" doesn't mean families in camper vans! we're all there to get ridiculously drunk and have a laugh anyway. 16 year olds on ket could be pretty funny.. maybe we'll go ket-kid spotting in other camps. we're all prone to wandering.

also is anyone sure what the policies are for camp fires and that? i think i heard they were banned. could be getting confused with leeds though... i have no fucking idea what im talking about, as you can probably tell

Nah it's not like that, it's just 'more relaxed' in the sense that you won't have people setting fire to your belongings on the Sunday night :P 

Truth be told there are always dickheads in every campsite - you just have to ignore them. Everyone likes to get drunk and have a laugh, so you'll have a good time wherever really. Just sounds like you want to avoid white and brown. 

Campfires are fine up until about 7 on Sunday night when a kid with a backpack and shitty hose comes round to put them out. 

Nah it's not like that, it's just 'more relaxed' in the sense that you won't have people setting fire to your belongings on the Sunday night :P

Truth be told there are always dickheads in every campsite - you just have to ignore them. Everyone likes to get drunk and have a laugh, so you'll have a good time wherever really. Just sounds like you want to avoid white and brown.

Campfires are fine up until about 7 on Sunday night when a kid with a backpack and shitty hose comes round to put them out.

That's good to hear! Think we'll just camp in the best spot we find when we arrive. Do you think its still okay to get an early bird pass off of getmein or the like? As in, it won't be dodgy or anything?? Only one of us already has the early bird pass and it'd be a bit shit to send her up there on her own. (Unless you think it's okay to arrive on the Thursday in which case we'll all go up then. Are all the good spots gone by Thursday morning?)

That's good to hear! Think we'll just camp in the best spot we find when we arrive. Do you think its still okay to get an early bird pass off of getmein or the like? As in, it won't be dodgy or anything?? Only one of us already has the early bird pass and it'd be a bit shit to send her up there on her own. (Unless you think it's okay to arrive on the Thursday in which case we'll all go up then. Are all the good spots gone by Thursday morning?)

Ultimately depends where you want to go I guess. Naturally, Yellow and Green are going to fill up quickest as they're the closest to the arena. I've never been on a Wednesday but I'd guess those two will get at least 3/4 full on Wednesday and then by Thursday lunchtime-ish they wont have any decent space left. If you get there Thursday morning you'll definitely be alright in the purple/orange/red up until early afternoon, then it starts to get a little cramped.  

Personally I wouldn't bother with early-bird, and I certainly wouldn't pay over face value for one. 

Someone who has actually been on the Wednesday may give some better advice though :)  

Ultimately depends where you want to go I guess. Naturally, Yellow and Green are going to fill up quickest as they're the closest to the arena. I've never been on a Wednesday but I'd guess those two will get at least 3/4 full on Wednesday and then by Thursday lunchtime-ish they wont have any decent space left. If you get there Thursday morning you'll definitely be alright in the purple/orange/red up until early afternoon, then it starts to get a little cramped.  

Personally I wouldn't bother with early-bird, and I certainly wouldn't pay over face value for one. 

Someone who has actually been on the Wednesday may give some better advice though :)

Funny the early option comes in, one thing I'd say Reading has over Leeds and it might be the only thing now is, due to Leeds camping (hills etc), Red Camping at Reading which is where we had is just fine to arrive late morning Thursday and camp up no bother. But I too would never pay the extra for Wed camping again. I can't totally rule this year out though, just struggling a bit for something on Saturday earlier on.

I've camped at green the last 3 years and have loved it. Although I think it all really depends on your neighbours which is down to luck! Just have a look around at the people before pitching your tent!

I agree. Get an idea of what the neighbours are like, if your not sure, move on.

I camped in Red in 2011 and Orange in 2012 and 2014. In Red I was literally right next to one of the main paths but had no problems. Orange in 2014 was just filled with 17 year olds throwing shits in bags and eggs around, although I think I was just unlucky to be near them. If you camp in Orange DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT CAMP NEAR THE HILL IN THE FAR CORNER. You, your tent and fellow campers are targets. It's like a weekend long game of 'King of the Hill'. 

• 2 weeks later...

I camped in Red in 2011 and Orange in 2012 and 2014. In Red I was literally right next to one of the main paths but had no problems. Orange in 2014 was just filled with 17 year olds throwing shits in bags and eggs around, although I think I was just unlucky to be near them. If you camp in Orange DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT CAMP NEAR THE HILL IN THE FAR CORNER. You, your tent and fellow campers are targets. It's like a weekend long game of 'King of the Hill'.

Will bear in mind, thanks. I camped in green last year, no problems. Will be giving orange a try this year.

Literally, red is the best in my opinion. Always people up for a late night party, but never any trouble. Met so many nice people, made amazing memories and everyone looks out for eachother. Camped there 3 years in a row. It is right near the entrance, close to the toilets (but not too close), near to the leisure centre & most importantly... short walk to ALDI and 2 mins away from the Dominos stand. Red for sure!  :smoke: