SLAVES!

EZYSEY

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I should like them but I just can't get them im supposed at how popular they have become saying that quite like Feed The Mantary - The Skepta cover got them a lot of hype but I thought that sounded terrible.

Saw them live supporting Jamie T academy tour last year and didn't feel they were particularly great live either.

Edited by Anderson19

I'm with you on that one. I thought they looked decent live at Big Weekend but I just can't get into the singles that I've heard.

R1BW turned my head a bit after not being impressed with what I'd seen/heard before then and I was looking forward to checking them out at Glasto but I found the album pretty naff.

Discovered this band after opening this thread a couple of days ago. Simple fuzzy punk from guys who clearly don't take themselves too seriously. Very fun stuff and I foresee the shows being adrenaline fueled madness.

Yeah, agree. Don't take themselves too seriously in a Rizzle Kicks reminding sort of way.

Hadn't heard much till seeing their cover of Skepta, and now after seeing their R1BW where he came on for shut down I'm definitely going to try and make it, like the couple of their songs I've heard too. Also wouldn't mind going just for that main guy, he looks ite with a sweat on like. Lol.

I saw them at Common People last weekend. And they were ok, nothing special, but I think the crowd was a bit shite tbh. Usually people pull out something a bit more special at Glastonbury. I think if they played the Hell stage at 1am or something like that it will be one of the best sets of the weekend, otherwise I dont think they will be amazing.

In the latest in a series of reputation shattering posts, can I point out that within the current trend of 2-piece fuzzy punk, if you also demand that properly engaging song-writing accompanies the energy and bombast...

...then Drenge are the band we need announced on Tuesday!

Ben

I saw them at Common People last weekend. And they were ok, nothing special, but I think the crowd was a bit shite tbh. Usually people pull out something a bit more special at Glastonbury. I think if they played the Hell stage at 1am or something like that it will be one of the best sets of the weekend, otherwise I dont think they will be amazing.

Basically they're a racket of shit.

In the latest in a series of reputation shattering posts, can I point out that within the current trend of 2-piece fuzzy punk, if you also demand that properly engaging song-writing accompanies the energy and bombast...

Ben

Indeed Benny!

Drenge are comfortably my favourite of the 2-pieces around the the minute. Undertow is in my top 3 albums of the year so far. Surely they'll be announced won't they?

I'm liking the Slaves album too. Some great catchy little songs on it! It what I expected really .. Doesn't deserve the 4/10 reviews at all.

Ben

I would agree but Drenge aren't a two-piece anymore and their latest album isn't punk. :P

You are, of course, correct as ever dental.

I conveniently omitted to say that they'd added their bassist, purely to include them in the Drenge>SLAVES>Royal Blood debate!

Is it just me, or are Royal Blood a bit rubbish?

Ben

What happened to me with Royal Blood last year is happening now again with Slaves. Loved the first few singles, really got into them, then not all that overwhelmed by the album & now beginning to get a bit bored of them. That said they were very good live and I'm sure that wont change anytime soon.

You are, of course, correct as ever dental.

I conveniently omitted to say that they'd added their bassist, purely to include them in the Drenge>SLAVES>Royal Blood debate!

Is it just me, or are Royal Blood a bit rubbish?

Ben

Nah. Not just you. Slaves could've done with following their lead and doing all the UK festivals and building up a live rep before showing that they're pretty one-dimensional on record.

You're best off comparing bands for how they sound rather than the number of members. I thought Slaves reminded me quite a bit of FIDLAR, except FIDLAR - while I'm not that big a fan - are loveable stoners and you can appreciate the dumb fun of it all. With the Slaves album I found it a little too dumb and not enough fun.

The difference between Slaves and the other two which keep being mentioned, is FUN

These guys know how to work a crowd (at least they did when I saw them) they don't take themselves too seriously and they just seem funny self deprecating guys. I really enjoyed them last weekend, everyone came out of that tent with a smile. I actually like their music but I wouldn't say it was ever going to win a Mercury Prize.

I just really enjoyed them, ther energy, their humour and their music

Check out Cheer up London, Where's the car Debbie and Feed the Mantaray from their bbc big weekend set. That at glastonbury would go down an absolute storm, on any afternoon in the JP stage

It's entertainment. Yes the other two are probably better musically, but they're nowhere near as much fun. In my opinion anyway.

Edited by dingbat2

The difference between Slaves and the other two which keep being mentioned, is FUN

These guys know how to work a crowd (at least they did when I saw them) they don't take themselves too seriously and they just seem funny self deprecating guys. I really enjoyed them last weekend, everyone came out of that tent with a smile. I actually like their music but I wouldn't say it was ever going to win a Mercury Prize.

I just really enjoyed them, ther energy, their humour and their music

Check out Cheer up London, Where's the car Debbie and Feed the Mantaray from their bbc big weekend set. That at glastonbury would go down an absolute storm, on any afternoon in the JP stage

It's entertainment. Yes the other two are probably better musically, but they're nowhere near as much fun. In my opinion anyway.

My only issue with that entirely reasonable approach dingbat, is that for whatever reason I just can't REALLY have fun if the music isn't doing it for me, no matter how engaging the band might be.

For me, the benchmark for both those planets aligning would be Brakes, whose frenetic, in your face, music is fused with a live show that never stops you laughing and smiling.

God I miss them...

Ben