General Election 2015

eFestivals

The rise in Scottish nationalism triggered English nationalism south of the border which caused a shift away from Labour in England.

That said, it's not the fault of Scottish voters.

This is entirely correct. The Tories played the 'Scottish threat" to their advantage. We can only speculate how much that is responsible for their awful victory.

I think Miliband showed a lack of backbone in effectively bending under the Tories' pressure.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another 5 years of Tory rule, thank you Scotland.

LJS, you say the last thing this country needs is another Tory gov but you still voted SNP, knowing that it fucks Labour over; ridiculous. You'll certainly reap what you sow.

Feel sick.........FFS!!

If you & the Labour party choose to blame Scotland you can't count & you are entirely missing the point.

I feel sick too.

This is entirely correct. The Tories played the 'Scottish threat" to their advantage. We can only speculate how much that is responsible for their awful victory.

I think Miliband showed a lack of backbone in effectively bending under the Tories' pressure.

The Tories and the SNP played it to their advantage.

I still think New-Labour's legacy is more to blame than Ed. That said, he's almost certainly going to go which is probably right.

Strangest

You seriously don't see how the prospect of Labour needing SNP support hurt them in England

Of course I do. But what are you suggesting? The Snp should have withdrawn from the election because they were scaring the English.

The Tories turned the SNP into some sort of bogeyman. Labour colluded in this.

Blame the Scots if you want. it's always easier to blame someone else. That's what Ukip do.

The Tories and the SNP played it to their advantage.

I still think New-Labour's legacy is more to blame than Ed. That said, he's almost certainly going to go which is probably right.

And. Sadly Labour will probably swing back to the right. The return of new Labour.

It reminds me alot of the 92' election. I still go back to the fact that since the baby boomers came of age they have only directly elected Blair and Wilson as Labour PM's both of who left the job early after having issues with their party for being too right wing. Labour went for the wrong Milliband.

The way sturgeon has acted this campaign has worked for the snp in terms of seats. I think however it has scared English voters. If she wanted a Labour led government she needed to be a lot more coy about future deals. However I suspect the reality is conservative would have won anyway.

It's easy to say that Labour picked the wrong Miliband, but he wouldn't have prevented the collapse in Scotland or lib losing seats to conservatives in my view. He may have taken a handful more seats in England, but we are talking marginal differences.

The way sturgeon has acted this campaign has worked for the snp in terms of seats. I think however it has scared English voters. If she wanted a Labour led government she needed to be a lot more coy about future deals. However I suspect the reality is conservative would have won anyway.

It's easy to say that Labour picked the wrong Miliband, but he wouldn't have prevented the collapse in Scotland or lib losing seats to conservatives in my view. He may have taken a handful more seats in England, but we are talking marginal differences.

Well quite. She fed right into Tory hands.

David Miliband might have won a few more seats, but I suspect he'd have lost a fair few. I would have voted Green over a Blairite.

I have heard a few Labour supporters taking some consolation in lib dems having an even worse night. Big mistake in my view as a con lib coalition is a much better option than the alternative.

Those on the furthest right of the torys now have huge power and the consequences scare me. Huge cuts and a transfer of wealth from those at the bottom/middle to the top. The results again show what a broken system fptp is. Both conservative and snp are significantly over represented.

What I am suggesting is you should of had a bit of foresight.

You now get everything you deserve and in the end maybe everything you want.

Barry, we're getting another fucking Tory government because people voted fucking Tory. They didn't do that round my way. Quite how I am responsible for that, I have no idea. If UK Labour chooses to blame SNP/Scotland for their defeat, they are missing the point.

I have heard a few Labour supporters taking some consolation in lib dems having an even worse night. Big mistake in my view as a con lib coalition is a much better option than the alternative.

Those on the furthest right of the torys now have huge power and the consequences scare me. Huge cuts and a transfer of wealth from those at the bottom/middle to the top. The results again show what a broken system fptp is. Both conservative and snp are significantly over represented.

I agree wholeheartedly

Deary me.

Sorry Barry, I realise when you are asked to move beyond petty insults, it gets a bit difficult for you.

Some of us on here are trying to make sense of the shit that just happened. Do you really think I couldn't casually find someone to blame? if anything you guys has said about me was right, I'd be fucking dancing with glee right now.

I'm not.

Barry, we're getting another fucking Tory government because people voted fucking Tory. They didn't do that round my way.

Sadly this is the real reason. Idiots who parrot the words of the Sun and the Mail like the pathetic fools they are. I don't blame the SNP, those seats were lost to the labour party and a left leaning party would have supported our policies in parliament had we had the numbers for a minority government. We didn't.

People bought the criticism of Ed Miliband, who the media have been happy to portray as a fool. His lack of ability to change that opinion is probably the biggest reason for failure tonight.

Needless to say I am utterly gutted.

I think you are thicker than I thought you was if you haven't worked out what just happened.

Tell me Barry. Share your wisdom.

England is full of tories. Who knew?

(I did mention it. ;))

But FFS.

Winners?

Cameron, Sturgeon, and the overall winner of Murdoch who gets to rule both countries.

So what stopped people voting Labour, cos it certainly wasn't anything about the tories running the country well? Either Ed was too-much to the left, or something scared the shit out of voters outside Scotland. Whichever one it was, someone's narritive was utterly wrong.

Edited by eFestivals