Is it too expensive?

504329lt

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The deposit is a great way of not making it seem too expensive. By the time it comes around I discard the £50 I've already spent and the £175 doesn't seem so bad.

But, thinking about it rationally, it's hugely extortionate, like every other festival in the UK. The value for money in festivals is definitely abroad.

The deposit is a great way of not making it seem too expensive. By the time it comes around I discard the £50 I've already spent and the £175 doesn't seem so bad.

But, thinking about it rationally, it's hugely extortionate, like every other festival in the UK. The value for money in festivals is definitely abroad.

The UK *is* expensive. I always heard that Japan is expensive - Oh Tokyo is crazy prices for everything! I spent two weeks there last year and couldn't believe how cheap it was compared to London.

yes but you get your dollars worth ..............if you wanted to see the WHO itll cost you about £80 .........Human league are playing i think they were £40 ,kate bush was about £100 so hey work it out if you get to see 5 bands at glasto youve got your money back ........but it can always be cheaper lol

2014 was my first Glastonbury, went on my own by plane from Holland.

Apart from the ticket, I had to buy an expensive plane ticket, had to book 2 nights in a hostel before/after the festival, and since I was alone and travelled by plane I couldn't take any booze with me.

And, don't forget the exchange rate, which was rather negative for me at that time.

All in all, I spent around 800 euros, which is about 630 pound, considering I had one of the greatest weeks of my life, every penny well spent!

I think that you would pay around the same amount for every 1week holiday abroad, but you will miss out from all the amazing stuff that's going on 24/7 with such lovely people.

Imagine missing it for a year, than you will quickly realize it's worth every penny ;-)

Taking kids and two adults to the cinema probably costs about £40 for a couple of hours entertainment. Lower league football probably the same and a Premier League game nearer £100; day at a theme park nearer £150 plus, so five days entertainment at Glasto for around £200 per person isn't bad

Aside from food and drink pretty much everything on site is free once you have the ticket which does mean you can do it on the cheap once the ticket is paid for

A lot of arena gigs these days, especially for the big names, are charging £70 and upwards per ticket. Therefore, if you were to see the 3 headliners from any of the last few years separately that would set you back at least £210 each - or in other words, the cost of a Glastonbury ticket.

That means that you get the rest of the festival for free!

Expensive, yes. Value for money, yes!

I thought it was expensive after not going down to Pilton for an age ! But once there again that thought went out.What you get there is like no other festival ,the bands ,the things to do ,the wonderful headspace and above all for me the lovely likeminded folks that attend the Party.

I think a couple hundred quid is actually good value for the selection of acts you can see but the experience is fooking priceless!

A lot of people have suggested Morrissey could play. He's charging £62 a ticket for the O2. Stones were charging ridiculous prices for their shows too. The selection of artists available alone justifies the ticket fee. When I used to go to Reading I thought that was correctly priced and that has barely any variety in music and virtually nothing by the way of entertainment once the music has finished

This thread comes up every year doesn't it? I definitely seem to remember it from last year. My thoughts are as many have already said. I go for the music and the experience, it's unlike anything I've experienced before and that's the same way I feel 6 years in as from my first year. It's worth it for that, to me. Finance wise, well for some it is hard, I will be saving this year when on other I've left it until after December to save for April and then my spending to June. I reckon if it gets up to the £300 mark I will have to seriously reconsider, but for now the extra £20 a year is ok ..... until then.

I cant believe out of all the british festivals people are comparing it too (price wise obviously, as there is no comparison in "festivalness") no-one has compared it to V. What a fucking rip off that is, absolutely diabolical.

Glastonbury isn't cheap, but it's damn good value for money. And that's coming from someone that only had their first one last year, so I've never known it much cheaper.

I cant believe out of all the british festivals people are comparing it too (price wise obviously, as there is no comparison in "festivalness") no-one has compared it to V. What a fucking rip off that is, absolutely diabolical.

Glastonbury isn't cheap, but it's damn good value for money. And that's coming from someone that only had their first one last year, so I've never known it much cheaper.

hear hear! V is a total rip off.

Glastonbury is definitely expensive, especially when you begin to factor in transport, food and spending money (& anything else you might like with you) but as people have said already it's great value when you think about the cost of gigs etc. Some of the headliners cost £100+ to see on their own! However it seems that the price is going up by a tenner each year which is increasingly pricing people out of being able to go. I hope they decide to cap it soon for at least a few years...

Its a bargain, and I don't see how with everything involved it could be much cheaper.

if 135,000 tickets are sold, if you even knocked a tenner off of the price they would lose £1.35 Million in ticket revenue, having made only half that in profit the festival would go from profit to loss.

Even if you take the 2.6 million profit figure they would still run the risk of running at a loss rather than a profit which wouldn't be sustainable.

Festivals in general are very expensive once you add everything up, its just a fact. Of course you can mange them on varying budgets, but I myself never expect a festival to cost any less than going on holiday overseas for a week.

As far as festivals go however, Glastonbury is without doubt the best value by far in the UK.

Take 2 kids over 12 it's £675

straight off the bat, car park £25, petrol £50, it starts ramping up. Good value, yes, cheap no. If you couldn't take your own beverages I'd seriously have to think about it.

Edited by whisty

Forget comparing it to the price of tickets to other festivals as they are also too expensive. Consider the ticket prices in isolation. 2003 £105, 2013 £205 (not including travel, parking etc). So that is roughly 100% increase in price in 10 years. I can tell you for certain that my salary has not gone up 100% in those 10 years so it is significatnly more expensive than when I went 10 years ago. Do I get any more for that money ? No. I can still only see as many acts now as I did 10 years ago.

Is it expensive - Yes.

Is it too expensive - For me no, I have tickets after all.

Is it as good value as it was 10 years ago - Hell no.

Is it good value in comparison to other festivals - Yes.