Why are people reluctant to vote for the Green party?

Guest tonyblair

I vote green even though I'm in a tory safe seat area. I knew it was a wasted vote but among my friends who share similar values, we had the idea that even when the vote comes to nothing, at least the party knows they are progressively gaining popularity. Because of this, the party has actually decided to put more funding into the area in order to try and boost votes in the future.

Surely all parties' manifestos are taken on balance? I disagree with pretty much all Tory policy; I couldn't name a single Labour policy; I agree with the Green's policies on those things which are currently important to me (health, education, family, social policies). Naively, probably, the parties' policies on nuclear power probably wouldn't come into my decision making on who to vote for unless there were two parties neck and neck on all the other issues.

Its officially a Contemporary Performing Arts festivals... Which is obviously WAY more than just music...

Political discussion though wouldn't fall under that banner but you have to be pretty ignorant not to know about Glastonbury's political side. Although I guess most the "kids" (no doubt a lot of older types as well) coming these day are pretty ignorant of it.

I see your point, but in our current system sometimes you have to choose between the lesser of two evils. For example in the last general I voted Lib Dem as they were the only party with a even a remote chance of approaching the Conservatives and I'd much rather the seat went yellow than blue. Still in total vain though sadly, absolute Tory heartland I live in

while I completely understand you doing that - it's something I've done myself for the same reasons - it is ultimately a self-defeating scenario.

If you vote for someone on the basis that they're the lesser of two evils and you hope they'll win (when using the facts of previous votes as your guide), it guarantees that the person you'd prefer to vote for will never get your vote or anyone else's who uses the same basis.

It's essentially a vote to confirm the status quo. Politics in this country needs more than the same three chords ( :P) again and again.

while I completely understand you doing that - it's something I've done myself for the same reasons - it is ultimately a self-defeating scenario.

If you vote for someone on the basis that they're the lesser of two evils and you hope they'll win (when using the facts of previous votes as your guide), it guarantees that the person you'd prefer to vote for will never get your vote or anyone else's who uses the same basis.

It's essentially a vote to confirm the status quo. Politics in this country needs more than the same three chords ( :P) again and again.

I don't know why people don't. Because I do. Even though I 'know' they won't win, I vote with my beliefs. Other people are a bit stupid I guess, a bit like all those going to Glastonbury and leaving behind such a horrific disgrace. Sometimes people are just really shit.

Voting for a "lesser of two evils" is a wasted vote.

If more people started voting for what they actually believed in, this country would be a much better place. I'm sure that a lot of people would actually agree with a lot of the Green party's policies if they

a) Actually read their manifesto

B) Stopped voting tactically

indeed

there needs to be a moment of mass hypnosis, so everyone only votes for the party they want, and not the lesser of 2 evils

which seems as likely as some effective reform

Voting for a "lesser of two evils" is a wasted vote.

Yes and no.

In the absence of being able to have the best outcome, helping to influence a better outcome is not a waste.

I find myself in a real dilemma about this, because I can see the worth in both options.

As we live in the here-and-now it's often been the vote that makes a difference here-and-now that has won out.