Would Kanye at Glastonbury work?

mattgimmeshelter

Wireless wasn't shown in front of the nation though. It was almost like his own show.

he wouldn't play Gold Digger just because it's expected of him. that's more than likely the exact reason why he's stopped playing it - the swarms of people in the crowd there for only that song

who cares about his public persona? he has big opinions and speaks his mind. so what? so he'd more than likely have a ten minute rant on stage voicing these opinions. and? if that really bothers you then don't go and see him. you'd be foolish to go to a Kanye show and then get pissed off when he rants

new album out late this year (or early next). he'd be an amazing choice of headliner. definitely has enough songs in his back catalogue to deliver a stormer of a set for those interested, and as others have said, his set would be one to remember. people would be speaking about it for long afterwards (for better or for worse)

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

who cares about his public persona? he has big opinions and speaks his mind. so what? so he'd more than likely have a ten minute rant on stage voicing these opinions. and? if that really bothers you then don't go and see him. you'd be foolish to go to a Kanye show and then get pissed off when he rants

That bothers me. Using Glastonbury as a frigging soapbox and saying the dumb shit people seem to lap up every day because of the cult of celebrity that he actually bemoans. Can't people go to his gigs rather than having all this TMZ bullshit surrounding the festival? They sell appallingly so it wouldn't be tough.

I find Kanye West fascinating. It's like he's managed to turn 'celebrity car crash' into a sustained, permanent state of being. He appears to be simultaneously the most egotistical and most insecure musician on the planet.

Are you being ironic, given that a literal car crash helped kick start his career?

Are you being ironic, given that a literal car crash helped kick start his career?

To be honest I'd completely forgotten about that. I actually like The College Dropout, love MBDTF and even think Yeezus is kind of interesting in places.

But I still wouldn't necessarily want to pay money to see him live, or see him headline Glastonbury. He's interesting more as a phenomenon of 21st Century ideals of celebrity run amok than he is as an actual human being.

My relationship to Kanye West is like this: every time he opens his mouth I think 'I can't believe I like some of this guy's music'. I've enjoyed a lot of his material and appreciate that he's being quite experimental with it these days, but it's hard to argue the guy's not a bit of a dick sometimes.

That said, I'd definitely go and see him if he headlined. I don't think he'd work as well as Jay-Z did, because essentially he doesn't have the charisma or can work a crowd quite in the same way, but he's headliner material, no doubt, with a big enough catalogue, high enough standing and by all accounts puts on a great show.

Edited by kalifire

Well I'm only going by the reviews he gets, but they seem to be pretty consistent.

That's mainly for the Yeezus tour, which he could never do at Glastonbury, admittedly.

I've never really given media reviews that much time, given I've seen Miley Cyrus get 5 starts from the Evening Standard.

Kanye fans seem impressed with it...but I'd be supprised if they wern't impressed by him taking a huge dump on stage and then leaving.

I've never really given media reviews that much time, given I've seen Miley Cyrus get 5 starts from the Evening Standard.

Kanye fans seem impressed with it...but I'd be supprised if they wern't impressed by him taking a huge dump on stage and then leaving.

Out of interest, have you ever seen Miley Cyrus live? If not,how do you know the 5 stars aren't warranted? Irrespective of the quality of the material, does the performance do it justice?

Out of interest, have you ever seen Miley Cyrus live? If not,how do you know the 5 stars aren't warranted? Irrespective of the quality of the material, does the performance do it justice?

In a word, NO ! This is Miley Cyrus we're talking about hear, the reviewer who gave her 5 stars must have had a thing for bad taste

justin-bieber-arrested-miami-DIU.jpg

Bieber is clearly a massive tool of the highest order, but I do find the internet based hatred of him to be weirdly vitriolic and, to be honest, a little worrying; especially as most of it predates his particularly shitty behaviour.

When it all first started, he was no more or less annoying than a dozen other pop stars.

Yeah, but the guy smiled in his mugshot after drink driving, which could have killed someone.

So, there's that.

Yes, he seems to be an awful person, I'm not denying that. But he was getting the levels of hatred usually reserved for people who smile in mugshots for drink driving before he'd ever done anything of the kind (that we know of).

He's got the songs and he's one of my favourite artists. At one point for around a year when he released MBDTF he was my favourite artist in the world.

I've seen him live twice: once on his own and once on the WTT tour. Both were brilliant.

But in the last year or two something in his mind has snapped and I think he's too risky to book as a headliner for Glastonbury. He's just too much of a dick. However talented he is.

I've seen youtube videos, it doesn't inspire me with confidence that she is doing it justice. (I know you can't fully judge from a video :P)

I suppose you could argue if you like that sort of thing...

This reminds me of Lily Allen's comments, comparing The Stone Roses and Oasis to Miley... People were freaking out, saying she must have lost her mind... But really, as a show, who would you rather see? Imagine there was no music with the performance.

Would you rather see lasers and shit, or 4 blokes in their 40s/50s standing on a stage? I know which I'd rather see.

And I'd also expect that with the budget Miley probably has, her show and performance probably is worth 5 stars.

Oh, I was talking more about Miley and her comparison to Oasis and The Stone Roses by Lily Allen, aha.

Oasis live: http://infosurhoy.com/shared/images/2009/05/07/ARGENTINA-Oasis.jpg

Stone Roses live: IMG_1561.jpg

Miley Cyrus live:

miley-cyrus-phoenix-az-2014-concert-40.j

With the music out of the equation, what looks like it'd probably be a more enjoyable show?

I go with the giant flying hotdog

Pointless argument, why would you take the music out of it? The music is the whole point of going to see a music act. I want to see a band/act playing/performing well, and captivating an audience with their own performance.

Otherwise you may as well skip the acts on stage, and we have the people who actually put the stage together on stage and we clap them. (Which I think most of the massive dance acts, it would be appropriate for.)

Lasers and shit is just extra fluff, see U2 when they had to cut down massively on the extras for Glastonbury and the ones they had went wrong...

There wouldn't be nothing wrong with a silent theatre type thing if thats what you to see, but if you want to see musicians performing, which is what the main stages at Glastonbury are mostly about...

Edited by LondonTom