NFR NFC >>>>>>2015

guypjfreak

In

Oh Dr Ben, seeing as you're here...

Your previous advice was very much appreciated, thank you. Now another query:

Baby two hats (just turned two) has just recovered from her 'flu' a couple of days ago. Appetite back and everything. However, today she sicked up her naptime milk, didn't nap and has eaten about one cracker and drunk a cup of water all afternoon. We didn't give her the normal cup of bedtime milk and she's now asleep. The question is, if she wakes in the night hungry, should we give her milk? Her mother in law says just crackers and water, I'm leaning towards semi-skimmed milk. What do you think?

Ta!

Edit: was also a small bout of diarrhoea, shortly after the puking.

How old is she, S2H?

There is a LOT of D&V going around at the moment, so unless it was just 'one of those things, and with the addition of diarrhoea too, she may easily be at the beginning of the currently prevalent gastroenteritis.

If so, general rule is clear fluids (water, squash etc) only, in SMALL, frequent amounts, until vomiting seems not to be persisting. Milk is a bit of a no-no (except breast-feeding babies), as it is poorly tolerated. Semi-skimmed probably no more so. Solids are out until such time that you're confident the clear fluids are staying down consistently.

Two common problems with toddlers who vomit:

1. They won't self-regulate their intake. Initially they're super thirsty and so, if allowed, will guzzle fluid. The upset tum says no, and we see it back all over again!

2. Parents desperately want little Tarquin/Tarquina to drink, so they often struggle to restrict the chid to v small amounts, out of their live, and morbid fear of dehydration!

Context: 2 year old comes into me vom vom vom...we allow them 10ml (two TEASPOONS) of water/squash every 15 minutes. NO more than that. After 4-6 hours, they've often broken the metabolic cycle that makes them feel, and be, sick.

Hope that helps. At your service, as always.

Ben

• Replies 24.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jeffie

• lucyginger

• thurlow84

• A Guy Called Matt

Dear Dr Ben

I am a 49 year old man who has numerous parts of his body that do not work as well as they used to.

I intend to attend many events this year, and the next few, that will involve dancing, walking, drinking and general fun.

Some people tell me this is not normal and I should act my age.

I believe that I do act my age and it is just that others are boring lifeless fools.

Do you have anything I could prescibe to these folls to get them out of their sheels?

Thank you

Your patient patients aquaintance.

That's terrible CG, what a horrible thing to do to you! You must have been very upset, I hope they were at least responsible enough to look after you through it all xx

I was upset that I missed 5 hours of Glasto but apparently I had the time of my life!! I haven't even had flashbacks. However, I would like to partake and experience it whilst sober. I think the problem was mixing it with sambuca?! I remember having a ball whilst watching elbow! They did look after me but moaned about it when i 'sobered' up. I don't know what you call sobering up when it's with drugs?

Dear Dr Ben

I am a 49 year old man who has numerous parts of his body that do not work as well as they used to.

I intend to attend many events this year, and the next few, that will involve dancing, walking, drinking and general fun.

I believe that I do act my age and it is just that others are boring lifeless fools.

Do you have anything I could prescibe to these folls to get them out of their sheels?

Thank you

Hmmm.

Thank you for your enquiry, Mr 1965. Tricky things, Folls, and extracting them from their Sheels, well even trickier.

Bottom line is that, medically, they are already dead. You, and indeed I, are not. I am 45, a kindred spirit, and likely to rival your behaviour and then some, for the foreseeable future. My annual festival is a yearly confirmation that it is indeed me, and you, who ARE still, truly, alive.

The medical prescription for the Folls of which you speak is (and forgive the scientific jargon) f*** 'em.

Ben

In

How old is she, S2H?

There is a LOT of D&V going around at the moment, so unless it was just 'one of those things, and with the addition of diarrhoea too, she may easily be at the beginning of the currently prevalent gastroenteritis.

If so, general rule is clear fluids (water, squash etc) only, in SMALL, frequent amounts, until vomiting seems not to be persisting. Milk is a bit of a no-no (except breast-feeding babies), as it is poorly tolerated. Semi-skimmed probably no more so. Solids are out until such time that you're confident the clear fluids are staying down consistently.

Two common problems with toddlers who vomit:

1. They won't self-regulate their intake. Initially they're super thirsty and so, if allowed, will guzzle fluid. The upset tum says no, and we see it back all over again!

2. Parents desperately want little Tarquin/Tarquina to drink, so they often struggle to restrict the chid to v small amounts, out of their live, and morbid fear of dehydration!

Context: 2 year old comes into me vom vom vom...we allow them 10ml (two TEASPOONS) of water/squash every 15 minutes. NO more than that. After 4-6 hours, they've often broken the metabolic cycle that makes them feel, and be, sick.

Hope that helps. At your service, as always.

Ben

She guzzled her cup of water down and wasn't sick, this was after the squits. Does it sound like the cycle is broken? I don't know if it makes any difference, but her first poo of the day was unusually dry.

So at night, just give her some water, but make sure she drinks slowly? If she's adamant she wants food, should we trust her and give her some? But no big drink of milk, right?

VERY much appreciated, this advice!

EDIT: She was at a 2nd birthday party in a church hall yesterday and was eating off the floor like a ferral urchin.

Edited by stuartbert two hats

Dear Dr Ben

Thank you

Dr. Gumby is currently standing in, as Dr. Ben is too busy on t'internet.

You could try putting some MDMA in their sambuca. They'll have a great time, but they probably won't remember, so make sure you video the results as evidence.

Alternatively, but them glastonbury tickets as Christmas presents, and show them how much fun life can be if you just let go every now and then.

As a last resort, tell them to shove it, and do your own thing :)

The locum has spoken.

Edit - bugger! Ben replied while I was typing! Spoilt the joke a bit :(

Edited by mr gumby

You could try putting some MDMA in their sambuca. They'll have a great time, but they probably won't remember, so make sure you video the results as evidence.

Alternatively, but them glastonbury tickets as Christmas presents, and show them how much fun life can be if you just let go every now and then.

The locum has spoken.

Haha. Brilliant Dr G! I actually wish someone had videod me.

She guzzled her cup of water down and wasn't sick, this was after the squits. Does it sound like the cycle is broken? I don't know if it makes any difference, but her first poo of the day was unusually dry.

So at night, just give her some water, but make sure she drinks slowly? If she's adamant she wants food, should we trust her and give her some? But no big drink of milk, right?

VERY much appreciated, this advice!

Little drinks of water overnight, but only if needed. Nowt to eat. Same plan in the morning 'til you get the lay of the land.

Slow and steady wins the race...

Ben

x

The locum has spoken.

Edit - bugger! Ben replied while I was typing! Spoilt the joke a bit :(

Not to get too hierarchic about all this, but I am not CERTAIN that Dr Gumby is a fully qualified medical professional.

Cracking advice, mind...

Ben

PS - at a concert watching musical prodigy Child 3 play trumpet, so posts may be scarce 'til interval!

Edit - DR G edited whilst I was re-replying...apols, old chum

Edited by bennyhana22

I was upset that I missed 5 hours of Glasto but apparently I had the time of my life!! I haven't even had flashbacks. However, I would like to partake and experience it whilst sober. I think the problem was mixing it with sambuca?! I remember having a ball whilst watching elbow! They did look after me but moaned about it when i 'sobered' up. I don't know what you call sobering up when it's with drugs?

Moaned! What a cheek, it's the least they could do. I only used alcohol and a bit of green until a couple of years ago, I guess when I was younger I never felt I was in the right place to try other stuff, either in my own head or the relationships I was in. I have researched everything I've tried and have tried them consensually and consciously, and always with my best friend, who I trust with my life. I've really enjoyed experimenting but would only use substances infrequently and with a bit of purpose. And that seems to work for me :) im very fond of tequila and it seems to go quite well with mdma, not too much though xx

I really don't understand why people spike others, especially their mates! That's such a c*nty thing to do!

It does seem odd. If you're at Glastonbury and are not taking drugs, then it's very likely because you've made a conscious decision NOT to. Now if you spiked someone who was being a human hoover, then I'm sure they'd be over the moon, but when they've decided not to? That's just weird.

Evening all, just multitasking while fixing a laptop login. Not been around this weekend with loads of jobs to do. (Things were calming down till the youngest remembered her homework and can't login.) We've been on the allotment this weekend and sowing seeds, chillies anyone? I'll try growing mushrooms but for cooking, I wouldn't trust my brain coming back if I meddle with the reality I have.

Aside, MrsCJ is doing an exercise video with the middle step daughter, and keeps trumping. I'm taking that as proof that exercise is bad for you.

Afternoon everyone, thank you for all your acid stories they have made me smile. I've never taken mushrooms and don't think I ever will. I was intrigued to read you can get a combination of mdma and lsd. That would be interesting.

Jeffie It's sunny but cold here in the NE of Scotland today.

Ben, I am starting to wilt a bit, I only dozed for about an hour last night :(

I just tossed a coin, best out of three to decide which CV field to try for because I keep changing my mind, west won. I think that's alright, then again ........ Raaaaaa

CJ, are you a westie or an eastie?

Couldn't remember.

Oh dear Two Hats. Don't say I didn't warn ye. Wear a hard hat as one of your hats to protect you from knobbers who are out of their heads on ketamine but think its a good idea to climb trees with total disregards for the bonces they hit below.

Pray for sunshine cos the mud was woeful and worse than anything i saw at any other festival.

It was so bad I left half way through Public Enemys set even though they had Flavour Flav with them and didn't stick around for Foals who i was dying to see. Didn't even stay in the hotel I had paid for, we got on the road and headed straight back to Liverpool. I felt dirty.