Football 2014/15

TheGayTent

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He shattered his knee didn't he? I reckon by the time he comes back he'll be way out of favour and let's be honest, he hasn't been great since his first 16 games for the club.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. And no, he's not been good for a while. I feel sorry for him though, I don't understand where this atrocious form has come from.

Lampard was also one the worst players on the pitch in almost every game he played, but somehow you've forgotten when he's shit and only remembered a couple of golden moments. And the opposite for Gerrard. :P

I dont watch England qualifiers but in terms of tournament games, lampard was far from the worst player. Also if the opposite is Gerrard was the best player in almost every game, but didn't have standout moments, thats not how I saw it.

Also in reality in knockout football it doesn't matter if a player plays crap, if they can find a special moment. When people look back at Goetze in the 2014 world cup, they will remember the goal and forget the average performance level.

Gerard has scored an important goal for England. He put them 2-1 up against the Germans in that 5-1 hiding qualifying for the 2002 WC.

The fact you need to look at qualifying game against one of the worst German sides of all time (although that hiding didn't stop second place) says it all. Then again Beckham built an international reputation on the back of a goal against an average European side in a qualifying match. The qualification for the bigger teams is a means to an end, you have to perform when the real business starts.

Not at all. He's saying, as many others are, that because Gerrard is a better player than most others, he should have performed to a greater standard for England than those other players, which he never did.

the truth is in the playing, not in the opinions which don't match the playing.

Gerrard and Rooney (and a big list of others) didn't perform to the greater standard because they're not of that greater standard. If anyone watching England at tournaments hasn't got that yet, they've either been watching with their eyes closed or they've believed the back pages.

Edited by eFestivals

No, both have performed at club level, far more recently.

What, like the slip that let Ba in? Which wasn't anything like the nod-on which put Suarez thru, oh no, or even the cock-up against the French all those years ago.

And that slip showed just how over-rated Gerrard was, don't you remember? We were told about it here, don't you remember?

Now he's over-rated even for his over-rated-ness. I think I get it now. :wacko:

Edited by eFestivals

The fact you need to look at qualifying game against one of the worst German sides of all time (although that hiding didn't stop second place) says it all.

and a game that could have very easily been 5-1 to the Germans and not to England.

That is, unless we're re-writing all of history in the attempt to prove that because Gerrard is one of the better English players recently that actually makes him shitter than the others?

What, like the slip that let Ba in? Which wasn't anything like the nod-on which put Suarez thru, oh no, or even the cock-up against the French all those years ago.

And that slip showed just how over-rated Gerrard was, don't you remember? We were told about it here, don't you remember?

Now he's over-rated even for his over-rated-ness. I think I get it now. :wacko:

He has certainly made mistakes, like many other players. Overrated at club level? Probably in my opinion. As with Rooney I never had him as one of the worlds top 20 players at his peak, but top 50 probably and for an attacking player at that level you need to have those big moments during tournaments.

and a game that could have very easily been 5-1 to the Germans and not to England.

That is, unless we're re-writing all of history in the attempt to prove that because Gerrard is one of the better English players recently that actually makes him shitter than the others?

There's no way that German side was beating anyone 5-1. Where has anyone said he is one of the shittest England players? There's a load of players like konchesky, Bullard etc to fight for that crown. One of the biggest underachievers? Without a doubt and he probably would admit he hasn't done enough.

There's no way that German side was beating anyone 5-1.

you seriously need to refresh your memory of that match.

England were VERY lucky to keep the Germans out on three occasions when the match was still close. If those had gone in (and they would have on another day) the match would have panned out the opposite way to how it did.

The game was FAR closer than the scoreline suggested.

you seriously need to refresh your memory of that match.

England were VERY lucky to keep the Germans out on three occasions when the match was still close. If those had gone in (and they would have on another day) the match would have panned out the opposite way to how it did.

The game was FAR closer than the scoreline suggested.

I wouldn't argue with that, however that German team were not scoring 5 against any decent team. However what were the consequences of that match. England qualified (as they always do), it didn't stop Germany qualifying (and getting further than the team who beat then 5-1). That's why the knockout games are the big ones, there are no second chances.

It's a pretty bad state of affairs when Lampard is judged to have had a greater impact than Gerrard because, even though they both have over 100 caps, Lampard scored one vital goal while Gerrard aopparently didn't score any.

Gerard has scored an important goal for England. He put them 2-1 up against the Germans in that 5-1 hiding qualifying for the 2002 WC.

1 goal 12 years ago. Superb. Deserved captain.

He was so bad against Uruguay, Marca didn't even rate him. They gave him -/10.

Its a failing of a lot of international coaches to give the captaincy to the player whos been there the longest. Rooney will be next I presume?

Edited by The Nal

He was so bad against Uruguay, Marca didn't even rate him. They gave him -/10.

Wow I wonder how low they scored Sergio Ramos and Gerard Pique. Or could it be that it's a silly score given for show rather than a realistic assessment?

Edited by mrtourette

Wow I wonder how low they scored Sergio Ramos and Gerard Pique. Or could it be that it's a silly score given for show rather than a realistic assessment?

Course it is but he was the captain. He was so bad, it annoyed the foreign press.

Speaking of which, was in Germany at the weekend. A mate got in a taxi. Mentioned Ireland not being able to even imagine what a world cup win would even feel like and the taxi driver says very matter-of-factly (German accent) "Oh, you guys are awful"

:lol:

Edited by The Nal

quote]

Was Gerrard in the team or captain because of his goal scoring? Seems a bit strange to keep banging on about his lack of goals for England in the big games when he wasn't in the team to get goals. When Lampard played, Gerrard played the deeper midfield place allowing Lampard to get forward to score the goals.

That's the nature of football, the best players are expected to provide the big moments and they are also the ones who get the biggest rewards.

and yet YOU've decided he's one of the best players, and YOU have put that expectation on him, and YOU have decided he's shite as a result.

While all Gerrard has done is play his football, which has proven him as not as good as your expectations of him.

But it's Gerrard's fault you're disappointed in him, yeah? :P