Football 2014/15

TheGayTent

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A far better rule would be that owners can't "loan" money to the club. Either it's a gift, or they can't do it. IMO the biggest problem is the likes of Pompey where owners have loaned money as an investment, then left the club in debt they wouldn't otherwise have got in.

Feeling quite confident for this season, Newcastle have done business and done it well again. I'm excited about De Jong and Cabella as they should inject the creativity we so desperately need. Janmaat seems like a solid replacement but I don't know much of the strikers the club has signed. Talk of Danny Ings now, anybody know what he is like?

The current system is a -farce- but I totally agree with the 'concept' of FFP... naive as that may sound. Accepting the status quo is bullshit.

From experience the biggest fans of financial fair play seem to be fans of Liverpool and man utd who coincidentally would both benefit from its strict enforcement.

Do clubs like city being able to spend insane amounts protect the status quo? I would say the opposite. Before we had a top 4 of Liverpool, arsenal, man u and Chelsea every season and they have come and shaken things up

While the idea of financial fair play sounds good. There's nothing fair about letting a select group of clubs build up their finances and commercial appeal in the champions league and then suddenly put in a rule that stops others bridging that gap.

However if your talking a salary cap where all 20 clubs in the league have the same wage bill/transfer budget. I would have no issues with that. However I suspect many fans of bigger clubs would think that's taking fairness a bit far!

I looked up the stats of Riviere and they weren't that impressive. I'm really excited about Siem De Jong, quality player and I'm amazed we managed to get him, genuinely feel he will naturally replace Cabaye. Cabella seems a good signing but I'm less confident in him. To me it looks like we've mostly added depth to replace players we've let go on a free. Colback's an improvement on Gosling but I wouldn't say is a guaranteed started, Cabella's presumably going to oust HBA who's just been in a sulk for 6 months and will presumably be moved on. Janmaat looks a good replacement for Debuchy. The other players we've signed look decent, but not like starters who are going to scare defenders, just other options to bring off the bench. Better than only having Shola I suppose, but we either need to reignite Cisse or sign a striker of major quality.

Also worried about our centre-back situation. Mbiwa's regressed since we signed him, Williamson was better last season but still slow and liable to the odd howler. Collocini's getting older, more prone to injury and is still planning to move back to Argentina once he can, and Steven Taylor's still the player he was at 23/24, injury-prone, determined and a bit crazy.

But yeah, apart from the completely insignificant positions that are striker and CB, I like the look of our squad.

Feeling quite confident for this season, Newcastle have done business and done it well again. I'm excited about De Jong and Cabella as they should inject the creativity we so desperately need. Janmaat seems like a solid replacement but I don't know much of the strikers the club has signed. Talk of Danny Ings now, anybody know what he is like?

I'm always a bit wary about buying players on the back of a good season in the championship. I would probably want to see how he does at Burnley.

From experience the biggest fans of financial fair play seem to be fans of Liverpool and man utd who coincidentally would both benefit from its strict enforcement.

Do clubs like city being able to spend insane amounts protect the status quo? I would say the opposite. Before we had a top 4 of Liverpool, arsenal, man u and Chelsea every season and they have come and shaken things up

While the idea of financial fair play sounds good. There's nothing fair about letting a select group of clubs build up their finances and commercial appeal in the champions league and then suddenly put in a rule that stops others bridging that gap.

However if your talking a salary cap where all 20 clubs in the league have the same wage bill/transfer budget. I would have no issues with that. However I suspect many fans of bigger clubs would think that's taking fairness a bit far!

Taking fairness a bit far?

Taking fairness a bit far?

Just an observation that many Liverpool and man utd fans who advocate financial fair play seem more concerned with the 2 teams in the pyramid that have an unfair advantage over them, than the 100+ teams who have a disadvantages. While a fair financial system is good in theory, its difficult to come up with one which will achieve those aims.

Of course if the premiership was to put in place such a system, then all the talent would simply move to the other major European leagues where they could get a bigger pay cheque. It would give us a more competitive and interesting league but ultimately the best would leave for Europe in a heart beat.

The sad thing is the premier league actually has certain things in place that keep it financially fair - at least when compared to say Spain where each team negotiates their own TV licensing fee. Over there you get Madrid and Barca getting 100m + euros and the next highest earner in the league a quarter of that. The premier league split it far more equally (albeit still with more to the bigger teams), but clearly given Barca and Madrid keep getting all the premier league talent it already shows that any sort of (truely) FFP in the premiership will lead to more talent leaving

Athleticos achievement was truly outstanding last season in reality.

Having just looked it up, new legislation is coming into La Liga that will prevent the top earners (Barca, Madrid) earning any more then 4x the bottom earner in the league :lol:. Its sad much money that's gonna cost Barca and Madrid.

Of course if the premiership was to put in place such a system, then all the talent would simply move to the other major European leagues where they could get a bigger pay cheque. It would give us a more competitive and interesting league but ultimately the best would leave for Europe in a heart beat.

Of course it would result in a player exodus. However I doubt it would result in a less interesting product. Despite the sky marketing machine that British football started when the premiership began, people loved football just as much as they do now before the foreign influx.

The current system is a -farce- but I totally agree with the 'concept' of FFP... naive as that may sound. Accepting the status quo is bullshit.

Oh absolutely, I think everyone favours the concept of financial fair play, but what is currently going by that name doesn't go anywhere near ensuring any kind of financial fair play. When you use the acronym FFP I assume you're referring to the actual system that goes by that name.

The NFL have some structures in place the Premiership could learn from regarding evening out of opportunity and access to talent.

While I'm a fan of the NFL I don't necessarily think that competitiveness should be enforced and regulated like it is in American sports, just that the extreme purchasing of clubs and importing of foreign players should be better regulated.

Edited by mrtourette

And this is exactly why the Premier League has no interest in FFP or the well-being of the national team. Why would it jeapordise the brand name and selling power just to ensure a more competitive league with more opportunities for English players?

In a shock move, Gerrard has retired from England :P...I think its good in some ways as its not move away from the "Golden Generation" but I hate the idea of the Captain being Rooney or Hart.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/2840105

I have never understood why English fans are so bothered about the captain. They don't do anything and its a glorified pr role. Most countries just give it to the best or most experienced paper

Unfortunately for Gerrard (like many others) he was a flop when it came to the crunch. When people look back on his career in 20 years it will be what he did at Liverpool that's remembered.

In a shock move, Gerrard has retired from England :P...I think its good in some ways as its not move away from the "Golden Generation" but I hate the idea of the Captain being Rooney or Hart.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/2840105

thing is, despite how dreadfully Gerrard has played for England at times, give it a few years and people will probably be clamouring for him back. It's not like the newbies are going to be doing any better.

Unfortunately for Gerrard (like many others) he was a flop when it came to the crunch. When people look back on his career in 20 years it will be what he did at Liverpool that's remembered.

There's plenty of players who aren't reckoned to have done it for their country when doing it for their club. It's not like he's the first or will be the last for that.

And just about every international, no matter how good or not, ends up with nothing from their international career.

But still, I'm sure the criticisms of Gerrard will go on for much longer than his

remaining career. Some people wouldn't have it any other way.

And just about every international, no matter how good or not, ends up with nothing from their international career.

It's not just about winning though, it's about having that great tournament or great game. Many of the great teams/players aren't the ones with the medals. My main memories of Gerrard at international level are a missed penalty in a shootout and setting up goals for France and Uruguay.

But every other player didn't have his talent.... Hence the pain was greater not having him perform...

Agreed, you can't expect the likes of Milner, Barry, heskey to pull you through in these games. You need your matchwinners to stand up, that means Gerrard and Rooney.

For all the excuses many worse players have done this in worse teams in both this world cup and others.