Metallica....in the Mosh, will there be a mosh, not in the mosh?

Swine_Glasto2014

• Replies 832
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really have a horse in this race, but these are all really crummy justifications.

If you want to release pent up aggression I'd suggest an extra five minutes in your sleeping bag with one of yesterday's socks.

Sorry, it was eoJ who mentioned pent up aggression :) a couple of pages back, is though it might not be your motivation mr penguin, maybe it is for others?

its music mate not therapy like you say anyone who goes in a mosh pit to express their `aggression` needs a few sessions on a punching bag or a sock in a tent, its just a good time, controlled chaos but fun controlled chaos :)

I really dont get whats not to understand about it.....dance fans go nuts when the big beats come in, hip hop fans go nuts when the bass in a track kicks in.....well this is what metal fans do when the musics really taking them..........its just freedom of expression if anything. the whole thing about the `big bad evil moshers` which has been a reccuring theme throughout this thread is laughable to me.....never have I seen such anger, stereotypes and even threats aimed at people simply for having a good time in the manner theyre accustomed to.......people need to chill and stop getting worked up and aggro over nothing(because it really is nothing we`re harmless! dont fret! lol).....I NEVER thought id have to say that about glasto goers haha.

Aggression may have been the wrong word, but I'm not sure what you'd call it - any ideas? Although, when I say aggression, I don't mean hurting others, being a douche, etc, more just letting it out in a friendly, relatively safe, controlled manner. Seeing a therapist may relieve depression, but that doesn't mean that you're trying to depress the therapist, or that the therapist will be made depressed by seeing you.

Being a dick isn't an absolute. It's relative based on your opinion. I'm not trying to say either of us is right, here, just trying to get you to see the other point of view.

From the point of view of people who just want to watch the bands, moshers are being dicks as they're disrupting it for them, putting them at risk of getting hurt, and forcing them to move. Exactly the same thing you're condeming other people for. And every argument you use for why they should be dealt with can also be applied to you.

Obviously the difference is that moshing is more safe than hardcore dancing, but it's not entirely risk-less, someone could get hurt if they don't know how to deal with it (hence why people are being advised to 'move away').

There's a line that goes from standing still through dancing, pogoing, moshing, wall of death to hardcore dancing. Each step has moire and more risk associated with it, and is more and more disruptive to the people around you. You draw the line of what you're willing to tolerate at somewhere between a wall of death and hardcore dancing. Others here are drawing it it between pogoing and moshing, or elsewhere. It's all personal choice as to how much risk and disruption we're willing to tolerate. Your opinion, your preference, is just that. Your choice that moshing = okay, hardcore dancing = not allowed is a choice, not an absolute. As is anyone elses.

If one person shouldn't be allowed to hardcore dance because 20 people around them find it scary or disruptive and worry about getting hurt, why should 20 people be allowed to mosh when 400 people around them find it scary and disruptive and worry about getting hurt?

Well, because someone hardcore dancing poses a very high threat of doing major damage to you. Even if you don't want to mosh, but plan on staying at the edge of a moshpit, then the risk of anything happening to you (above someone knocking into you - you'll experience the same near the front of a crowd without moshpits) is almost non-existent, if you do fall over, people will cordon you off until they've helped you up. Difference is, near the front of a crowd without moshpits, if you fall over, it'll be a hell of a lot more difficult to get up again, with the density of people.

Edited by eoJ

I dofor good't really have a horse in this race, but these are all really crummy justifications.

If you want to release pent up aggression I'd suggest an extra five minutes in your sleeping bag with one of yesterday's socks.

I had to go all the way to logging in properly just to give you a plus1 for this. So much kiddy testosterone in here.

Hell many I know are looking forward to it as part of the show, my mates im going with are not metal fans by any imagination but theyre looking forward to seeing the pits break out and watching the chaos unfold

Unless of course, some people unfold the chaos in a way you find threatening, at which point you and your mates will 'take them out' right?

If someone organises a big game of Warhammer 40,000 somewhere else on the site while Metallica are on it'll remove a good proportion of the moshers from the stagefront vicinity.

Never heard this association before? :S

Someone told me yesterday that if you get a girlfriend, preferably one that doesn't look like she's lost a bad fight with a stapler, it largely removes the desire to mosh.

I'm not so sure though...maybe the genie won't go back in the bottle. Once you've pushed and shoved a few strangers in a crowded circle that's it for life? This being true, we can expect to see groups of geriatric moshers in years to come, bumping into each other with mean expressions but general good intent on their mobility scooters.

Someone told me yesterday that if you get a girlfriend, preferably one that doesn't look like she's lost a bad fight with a stapler, it largely removes the desire to mosh.

I'm not so sure though...maybe the genie won't go back in the bottle. Once you've pushed and shoved a few strangers in a crowded circle that's it for life? This being true, we can expect to see groups of geriatric moshers in years to come, bumping into each other with mean expressions but general good intent on their mobility scooters.

This sounds like the Stranglers gig I was at in the Bristol O2 recently.

If someone organises a big game of Warhammer 40,000 somewhere else on the site while Metallica are on it'll remove a good proportion of the moshers from the stagefront vicinity.

Gawd everyone is so out of touch in these forums it's embrarrasing

You do realize Geek Chic or Nerd Culture is incredibly cool right now? It's in fashion, in vogue as some people would say, oh my gawsh. #getwiththetimes

Just put a woman in the pit. They'll all go quiet and shy

Fiver says if the was a pit it'd mostly be made up of lads and drunk teenagers, this is Glastonbury not a metal concert.

Edited by Yesiamaduck

Amazing judgmental cliches and stereotypes here.

It's like most the people in this thread has never been to a gig in their life and rely heavily on music videos and tv to get their cultural knowledge. Or they're stuck in the 80s, because to be quite honest with you when I think mosher I don't think 'anti-social nerd with long greasy hair, spotty pale skin and foul odor' I think 'a regular guy, maybe not dressed up in smart clothing, holding a bottle of beer' but what do I know hey. The is no wonder why the is such a fear of moshing on these forums when it's based entirely on stereotypes.

In fact quite frankly I'm appaled and expected more out of these forums, for a group of so called 'liberals' a lot of you certainly seem very judgmental and disrespectful of others and their lifestyle choices. A lot of people in this thread remind me of people who saw hippies as terrorists or nerds as some sort of secondary species simply because of what they had been taught on tv and the news. I haven't been in this thread for a while because I decided it was pointless and conceded that whilst most mosh pits are usually fine and dandy at a self contained gig the is a very real chance of a mosh pit going wrong at Glastonbury due to the people involved, not to mention the array of passive aggressive or outright aggressive people posting in this thread, but I'm actually quite upset at some of the comments of people in here from people who I thought knew better. But I guess thats just ignorance for you, it makes assholes out of people.

Im expecting some uniquely balletic and interpretive slo-mo moshing during Fade to Black. A hairier, sweatier version of Cirque du Soleil if you will.

By young people wearing smart but quietly stylish clothing holding plastic bottles of imported lager.

By young people wearing smart but quietly stylish clothing holding plastic bottles of imported lager.

Also quite fond of the post-mosh hug off.

Knowing looks, nods of appreciation, "youre the best at moshing" "no you are. you remind me of Cliff" "oh, you!" etc.

Such catharsis awaits.

In fact quite frankly I'm appaled and expected more out of these forums, for a group of so called 'liberals' a lot of you certainly seem very judgmental and disrespectful of others and their lifestyle choices.

Given the affluence of the metal fans - as noted in the Guardian article - I take it as read that these (very mild) satires are punching up, not punching down.

Amazing judgmental cliches and stereotypes here.

Amazingly thin skinned and overly sensitive people on here too.

In fact quite frankly I'm appaled and expected more out of these forums, for a group of so called 'liberals' a lot of you certainly seem very judgmental and disrespectful of others and their lifestyle choices.

"Lifestyle choices"?!

Joke right?

Amazingly thin skinned and overly sensitive people on here too.

"Lifestyle choices"?!

Joke right?

"Jacinta, look I'm mooshing"

"Oh Vernon, you look so street"