Metallica....in the Mosh, will there be a mosh, not in the mosh?

Swine_Glasto2014

• Replies 832
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By the way, I love metal, rock etc.

And I have moshed to some of the best. Guess what though. I've always been aware of who is around me and taken care to move myself and my friends if there's a problem. It appears to be the children today who don't. Tory values maybe?

As the science (weather) thread and this moshing thread seemed to have got very heated, it's time we brought them together.

Science + Moshing = http://www.npr.org/2013/03/22/174962714/mosh-pit-math-physicists-analyze-rowdy-crowd

There's a nice little simulator too

On a more serious note, this is a more measured 'discussion' of moshing than some of the heated stuff on this thread -http://www.moshing.org/

To the guys saying they'll punch or elbow anyone who moshes into them - how about just pushing them back into the pit instead of being a dick about it?

I would, but how about them being a bit aware of who they might mosh into?

I quite like the idea of moshing bit I'm getting on a bit now and have a bit of a dodgy back. Will there be any areas specifically for beginners with dodgy backs? You know, like a nursery mosh?

Kindermosh?

hopefully not, thats kind of my entire point, if your really against such exuberant crowd reaction.....why on earth would you even want to be at the front for a metallica set? even with no moshing its going to be livly! There wont be any trouble caused by the moshers anyway the trouble will be from the fucking millitant dickheads `attacking them` for doing so(.

Well that's the thing, people like me are created from getting caught in caught in stuff we didn't want to be, and learning how to defend ourselves (ie. make your a body spiky and dangerous and not something moshers want to run in to, but never attack). But we've also learned how to just avoid getting involved entirely, by just not going to see those sort of bands.

Nothing will kick off, the moshers will mosh and have their fun, and they'll ruin it for a good portion of people who are stood around them, but those people aren't going to start anything, they'll be confused, maybe a bit scared, and won't confront anyone. So you're right, it won't kick off. But don't kid yourself that just 'cause the people around aren't aiming elbows at the head, that they like what you're doing, or that you haven't actually ruined the show for them.

If you don't want to get involved in any of that then just don't stand in front of the barrier! we will be stood just behind the barrier level with the Wateraid stand and I'm pretty confident there will be no problems around that area though there are no guarantees in a massive crowd there may be 1 or 2 knob heads, it won't be moshing that causes me problems.

This is the bit I never get, right. Why position yourself in the best place to watch the band, with the best view of the stage, then spend the entire gig moshing and not actually watching the band (because you need to be watching yourself, as has been established, to make sure no-one gets hurt).

To me it's the stupidest thing in the world when the people not watching the show claim the position with the best view for themselves. It's just inefficient. In any sensible world, it'd make more sense for the moshers to just go elsewhere in the crowd, and mosh somewhere not at the front of the barrier.

I know you'll never change crowd behaviour and stuff but I still think it's daft.

This is the bit I never get, right. Why position yourself in the best place to watch the band, with the best view of the stage, then spend the entire gig moshing and not actually watching the band (because you need to be watching yourself, as has been established, to make sure no-one gets hurt).

To me it's the stupidest thing in the world when the people not watching the show claim the position with the best view for themselves. It's just inefficient. In any sensible world, it'd make more sense for the moshers to just go elsewhere in the crowd, and mosh somewhere not at the front of the barrier.

I know you'll never change crowd behaviour and stuff but I still think it's daft.

Exactly! Why should someone who actually wants to watch the performance be forced to move for someone who would rather mosh than watch the band. The band could probably play a live album over the PA and walk off stage and the moshers wouldn't realise, haha.

you my friend are a breath of fresh air.....after hearing some of these other loons.....

` when you try and mosh and bash some guy and he complains "OI! I've got my 15yo daughter here, what do you think you're doing?" You get to label them as a 'fucking militant dickhead' restricting your right to enjoy your music and then you won't have to feel bad about accidentally moshing into their face`

`I'll have my 6mth old with me, thus the involvement of my fist interacting w/ someone's chin if a mosh appears near me.`

really you think anyone would open up a mosh pit next to a baby? you people have no fucking clue about any of us and your judging us simply because we`re moshers` there is nothing `evil` about what we plan to do and we certainly dont plan to hurt anyone! (or though I will say wooderson if you have a 6 month child with you down the front in the crush of a crowd there will be for any headliner thats pretty fucked up in itself anyway!)

and for those going on about my `liberal use of insults` thats what page after page of unresonsable stereotyping clueless morons flinging grief at you and making you out to be the devil incarnate out to ruin everyones fun just because you like to `mosh`....does to you my attitude is rapidly turning from the `resonsable` to the `fuck em all` myself quite frankly, You know what that IS my attitude from now on, fuck em, no point arguing with brick walls Im through trying to be resonsable with anyone on this thread. you dont get reason....thats clear from the way you just throw a shitload of stereotypes and hypothetical silly situations back at me. fuck it the penguin is now laughing at you all.

Then don't bring your six month baby into the crowd near the front? Can't see a baby enjoying being surrounded by loads of people and what if someone accidentally knocks into you? No ones fault..

To be honest, if I was stood near a six month old baby and all I could hear is the baby crying throughout Metallicas set, I'd get pretty p'd off.

You are very correct in saying if you don't want to be part of it, move. But then again, why should they have to move?

The only thing that would stop people from moving in a heightened state of potential danger is bloody-mindedness, and there's no excuse for it. These are the people who refuse to move from their homes despite the fact the fire has destroyed everything around them, and then die themselves. It's stupidity more than anything.

Last year before The Stones, in front of the crash barrier, in front of me, were a row of old dears who refused to move from their camping chairs, and they refused to do this despite the fact that people behind them - me included - were pushing back crowds rushing in to get down the front so we didn't get fall over the chairs and injure those in them for about 10 minutes right after Primal Scream. They were completely oblivious to the chaos going on behind them right up until the moment some Scottish guy and a couple of Scousers barged their way way through, tripped over them, fell to the floor taking 3 or 4 of the old dears with them, a few more people (including me) trying to help them get up got knocked down and those who knocked us down started to get pushed forward on top of us by the people behind them. The anger on the faces of the people in the chairs afterwards - one I helped actually told me to fuck off because I stamped on her ankle by accident after being pushed - was completely unjustified; to actually stand there and be annoyed because somebody caused an inconvenience to you because they knocked you out of a chair you shouldn't have been sitting in, in the first place. Ludicrous.

Sorry but if you put yourself in harm's way, that's nobody elses fault but your own, and if you don't take others into consideration and analyse the situation quickly to determine it's danger, you are a risk to not only yourself but other people.

When it comes to a mosh pit, those involved who are familiar with the etiquette will be aware of you and will see that 1. you are away from the mosh pit therefore don't wish to be involved in it or pushed around, and 2. will see you don't want to get involved in it so won't feel inclinded to push you. If you move way from a mosh pit, you'll be safe. If you stay, you risk causing more damage to yourself than anybody else. As I say, the people who don't understand what's going on and refuse to move are the ones who are the most dangerous, and those who wish to mosh do so only to have a good time. You may not understand it; you may laugh at the pointlessness and physicality of it, but no-one has a right to judge it least of all stop people from having a good time whilst doing it.

To say 'I'm going to punch somebody who moshes into me' is just bullshit, frankly. It's the wrong attitude. Anybody with that attitude is more 'in the wrong' than somebody who wishes to just have a good time.

Moshing is just jumping up and down on the spot and 15 - 20 years ago it seemed to happen when you went to see EVERY SINGLE BAND.

If you look at footage from older festivals and people say 'My word, look at the atmosphere back then' it's usually because every single sod is bouncing up and down for no reason like Zebedee.

Anyway, it knackers you and prevents you from really seeing / enjoying the performance, so thank God it's pretty much died out. What were those morons in the 1990s thinking?

Nineties Cretins. With their Global Hypercolour T-shirts and their Tamagotchi.

Edited by CaledonianGonzo

Moshing is just jumping up and down on the spot and 15 - 20 years ago it seemed to happen when you went to see EVERY SINGLE BAND.

If you look at footage from older festivals and people say 'My word, look at the atmosphere back then' it's usually because every single sod is bouncing up and down for no reason like Zebedee.

Anyway, it knackers you and prevents you from really seeing / enjoying the performance, so thank God it's pretty much died out. What were those morons in the 1990s thinking?

Nineties Cretins. With their Global Hypercolour T-shirts and their Tamagotchi.

2000s cretins too: when bowie played changes it was well bouncy

Moshing is just jumping up and down on the spot.

That seems to be the point though. I have no problem at all with this. Slamming around into other people though is somewhat different.

Seriously. Are you guys utterly blind to hypocrisy or just that self involved?

Then don't bring your six month baby into the crowd near the front? Can't see a baby enjoying being surrounded by loads of people and what if someone accidentally knocks into you? No ones fault..

To be honest, if I was stood near a six month old baby and all I could hear is the baby crying throughout Metallicas set, I'd get pretty p'd off.

So would I. Just like I'd be annoyed by moshers. Any argument for moshing goes equally for the baby. Why shouldn't the person with the baby be allowed to enjoy the show how they want to? If you're near a crying baby and don't like it, why not just move? Why are all the solutions being suggested to those of us who don't like moshing seemingly verboten for when moshers encounter something they don't like?

Sorry but if you put yourself in harm's way, that's nobody elses fault but your own, and if you don't take others into consideration and analyse the situation quickly to determine it's danger, you are a risk to not only yourself but other people.

When it comes to a mosh pit, those involved who are familiar with the etiquette will be aware of you and will see that 1. you are away from the mosh pit therefore don't wish to be involved in it or pushed around, and 2. will see you don't want to get involved in it so won't feel inclinded to push you. If you move way from a mosh pit, you'll be safe. If you stay, you risk causing more damage to yourself than anybody else. As I say, the people who don't understand what's going on and refuse to move are the ones who are the most dangerous, and those who wish to mosh do so only to have a good time. You may not understand it; you may laugh at the pointlessness and physicality of it, but no-one has a right to judge it least of all stop people from having a good time whilst doing it.

Again, look at your first paragraph. If you start a mosh, and there are people around who don't like it, and people like me that will make damn sure if you run into them you'll get hurt, why does "if you put yourself in harm's way, that's nobody elses fault but your own" apply to you?

At this point I don't really care either way about the argument but the sheer self-involvement and ignorance demonstrated here is ridiculous.