headliners in years to come ?

cidy

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can see Pink and Adele as headliners. Perhaps not to everyones taste but I think they're popular enough. And yes, I know Adele supposedly doesn't like crowds but she's played to some pretty big crowds in her career.

Nah, not Pink. I think she'd have done it 5-10 years ago if she was ever gonna. Wouldn't see the point now.

I'm confused, I thought this thread was started to look at bands that would make the step up to headlining major uk festivals. But a lot of the names are people that have already headlined other festivals just not glastonbury

You're right. I only just read the OP and they're right too. It is a bit boring hearing about 'wow' headliners and how the two acclaimed artists headlining we know are weak and whatever, when each should have probably headlined a few years ago.

It's really difficult to predict seeing as bands don't last long in the spotlight at all nowadays compared to how it used to be. Providing they don't go down the shitter on the way (which will happen for most of these) then I can see these headlining on:

Their next album: Florence and the Machine, Vaccines, Foals, Black Keys, Jake Bugg, Chase & Status, The xx, Elbow*, Jack White**, Noel Gallagher**

Two more albums: Two Door Cinema Club, The 1975, Bastille, Rudimental, Disclosure, Alt-J, Imagine Dragons

Part of the Alive 2017 tour: Daft Punk

* - as long as they haven't blown it this time.

** - if people forget former bands

Edited by dentalplan

Aside from Nutini being (IMO) bland shite, just looking at their popularity without subjective opinions on the music, I think you are underestimating just how popular Lorde has become. Granted the next album could well tank, but if she carries on at the same rate she will be huge by the third album.

I think I must be! I'd heard of her but not heard a single one of her songs. I only really picked up on here because she won a bunch of awards - in particular Best International Female at the brits (but the again, Lana Del Ray won that too). She'd have to do something pretty special to elevate to headliner status.

I thought she was basically another Gotye, one huge global hit but might be doing her a disservice.

I think Kendrick Lamar after another 3 or 4 albums, provided he continues to improve commercially with each release, would be a great headliner.

Also he might need to step up his live game a bit, the whole rapping over a backing track would be kinda shit headlining the pyramid.

Thought I'd just raise a name that hasn't been mentioned yet and is a bit more interesting than vaccines/alt-j/jake bugg etc.

I think there are still quite a few old dinosaurs around that could headline ;

AC/DC, Pearl Jam, NiN, RUSH, Deep Purple, ZZ Top, Aerosmith, Stone Roses, Daft Punk etc

then there are other established bands such as

Foos, Marilyn Manson, QOTSA, Eminem, Justin Timberlake, Green Day, Depeche Mode, Kanye West, Lady Gaga, Skrillex, Biffy etc

As for up and coming future headliners, well all of these are headlining one festival or another this year ;

Metronomy, Two Door Cinema Club, London Grammar, 2Chainz, Disclosure, Haim, White Lies, Daughter, CHVRCHES, Frightened Rabbit.

Plus whoever comes through in the next few years and the shedload of bands I have forgotten to mention.

I really don't think there is a problem finding bands to headline. Who is prepared to do it for the right money whilst fitting their schedule is a whole different story..

The reaction i saw for Frightened Rabbit at Glastonbury is the worst i've seen them. Granted every other time i have saw them has been in Glasgow but all at different points from 2010 onwards. I don't feel like they have as great an appeal outside Scotland. Maybe in America i believe they are quite popular but at Glastonbury it was pretty shocking, quite a few people were there though.

The reaction i saw for Frightened Rabbit at Glastonbury is the worst i've seen them. Granted every other time i have saw them has been in Glasgow but all at different points from 2010 onwards. I don't feel like they have as great an appeal outside Scotland. Maybe in America i believe they are quite popular but at Glastonbury it was pretty shocking, quite a few people were there though.

Quite a few people were there waiting for Bastille I think! Frightened Rabbit are brilliant live, and I'd love to see them higher up the bill, but they'd have to have a run of ridiculously big singles and a couple of massive albums too. I know they were played quite a bit on radio one when they released the woodpile, but still most of the people in that crowd (at least around us) didn't seem to know who they were. Shame.

Quite a few people were there waiting for Bastille I think! Frightened Rabbit are brilliant live, and I'd love to see them higher up the bill, but they'd have to have a run of ridiculously big singles and a couple of massive albums too. I know they were played quite a bit on radio one when they released the woodpile, but still most of the people in that crowd (at least around us) didn't seem to know who they were. Shame.

It was really gutting, i had my Frightened Rabbit flag and everything! The Woodpile did seem to get a decent response, Backyard Skulls too but everything else didn't seem to go down so well. Everyone around we just seemed to be standing around and i was quite close to the front. It was such a dramatic change in crowd after i saw them in the Barrowlands last year where the crowd were cheering so much after Poke that Scott started to cry. Got to be one of my favourite bands and i'm glad they are starting to get a bit more reception though and would love to see them headline one day. T in the Park will be a sure thing in the next couple of years i reckon.

Nah, not Pink. I think she'd have done it 5-10 years ago if she was ever gonna. Wouldn't see the point now.

You're right. I only just read the OP and they're right too. It is a bit boring hearing about 'wow' headliners and how the two acclaimed artists headlining we know are weak and whatever, when each should have probably headlined a few years ago.

It's really difficult to predict seeing as bands don't last long in the spotlight at all nowadays compared to how it used to be. Providing they don't go down the shitter on the way (which will happen for most of these) then I can see these headlining on:

Their next album: Florence and the Machine, Vaccines, Foals, Black Keys, Jake Bugg, Chase & Status, The xx, Elbow*, Jack White**, Noel Gallagher**

Two more albums: Two Door Cinema Club, The 1975, Bastille, Rudimental, Disclosure, Alt-J, Imagine Dragons

Part of the Alive 2017 tour: Daft Punk

* - as long as they haven't blown it this time.

** - if people forget former bands

Why would you need to forget Jack WWhite's former bands? He plays a mix of stuff from all his bands.

It was really gutting, i had my Frightened Rabbit flag and everything! The Woodpile did seem to get a decent response, Backyard Skulls too but everything else didn't seem to go down so well. Everyone around we just seemed to be standing around and i was quite close to the front. It was such a dramatic change in crowd after i saw them in the Barrowlands last year where the crowd were cheering so much after Poke that Scott started to cry. Got to be one of my favourite bands and i'm glad they are starting to get a bit more reception though and would love to see them headline one day. T in the Park will be a sure thing in the next couple of years i reckon.

Sounds like I'm gonna have to go up to Scotland to see them! Saw them in Southampton last year and the crowd there was a bit shit too.

If their next album is a big one then they might headline one of the smaller festivals off the back of it. I just reckon that if four albums in they're still playing mid afternoon, then unfortunately they're never going to get there.

I think some people are getting a bit worked up, acting as if we're hurtling towards a sort of event horizon where there will be no viable headliners left at all.

Sure, the festival can't keep dragging out 'prestige' acts from the 70s forever, but neither should it have to. If they're around and are available, great. But there are a good few bands around who are slowly creeping their way to the top spots (Foals, Black Keys & Biffy have been mentioned and all seem fairly likely). Then there's the 'Ones to Watch' category, where you have your Lordes and Disclosures. Sure, they may never repeat the successes of their debuts, or they may go on to bigger and better things. Then there's the Arctics and Mumfords of the world, who rocket to popularity relatively quickly. The point is, there will always be someone, even if you don't like them

I personally agree with whoever it was earlier that suggested that with a new album and a strong lineup overall, they should give Bjork a go as headliner. Maybe have someone guaranteed to shift tickets another night as a safety net.

Incidentally I'm not saying I like each and every one of those acts, but that's not the point. It's who could sit at the top of the bill looking at least vaguely respectable, not who I personally would like in an ideal world.

Edited by Winslow Leach

I personally agree with whoever it was earlier that suggested that with a new album and a strong lineup overall, they should give Bjork a go as headliner. Maybe have someone guaranteed to shift tickets another night as a safety net.

I'm not sure about that. She's great and all but she's clearly not considered headline status by the festival and a new album won't boost her. Plus it's not like she's a 'friend of the festival', nor do they owe her it. You could put all sorts of acts like Portishead, Massive Attack, Nick Cave and The Flaming Lips in a similar basket and that's still stifling the growth of new acts if they run out of heritage headliners and start using heritage subs/Other headers.

Edited by dentalplan

I'm not sure about that. She's great and all but she's clearly not considered headline status by the festival and a new album won't boost her. Plus it's not like she's a 'friend of the festival', nor do they owe her it. You could put all sorts of acts like Portishead, Massive Attack, Nick Cave and The Flaming Lips in a similar basket and that's still stifling the growth of new acts if they run out of heritage headliners and start using heritage subs/Other headers.

Yeah that wasn't a genuine suggestion as such, I was more weighing up what I remember someone saying earlier.

Anyway, the rest of my point stands.

Yeah that wasn't a genuine suggestion as such, I was more weighing up what I remember someone saying earlier.

Anyway, the rest of my point stands.

Yeah, I agree with your point. I don't like most of the bands coming up but it's much more interesting and refreshing to see. It does get my goat a bit more than the attitude to up and comers that the attitude towards accomplished headliners like Kasabian and Arcade Fire when they're considered 'not big enough' (along with 'beige' and the baffling 'too similar') and people think the festival needs "rescuing" by acts whose best days were thirty years ago. Looking back at the history, it's never been what the festival is about and it just reeks of box-tickers.

Yeah Gold on the Ceiling is well known due to the whoring out that happened with it.

What like all the other songs they've whored out, I like the Black Keys but the guys do like to make money of licensing. Apparently their songs have already been licensed to over 300 adverts, tv shows, films and video games. The first being "Set you free" in 2004 !

One person's 'big enough' is another persons worst nightmare, and that is all part of festivals.

Personally I don't see Prince as 'big enough' as he really hasn't done much that got noticed and remembered for some time............ but if he did play I would be more than happy.

What is 'big enough'? A band who are very popular now but have had 2 albums only, well yes they are. A band who have had nothing new released for 20 years but remain popular, again yes they are.

A band who have had 4 top 20 albums and 4 top 10 hits in 10 years who have played to sell out crowds every year of those 10 years and have supported massive bands at arenas? Are a band like that 'big enough'?

The answer to that is, it seems, it depends on how popular they might be which seems a mad response.... if said band suddenly released on single that just hit all the right buttons they could go from also rans to massive stars overnight and all that changed is one release.

I am rambling now!!!! Need beer xD

What like all the other songs they've whored out, I like the Black Keys but the guys do like to make money of licensing. Apparently their songs have already been licensed to over 300 adverts, tv shows, films and video games. The first being "Set you free" in 2004 !

Yeah they explain it off by saying they turned down a ton of money to license a song from the early days and how they struggled for years.