Jon Hopkins

ThomThomDrum

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The gig was a big reminder of why I prefer festival gigs - it wasn't even much longer which was a disappointment. Was it one extra tune and one different one I think?

Either way the crowd was spectacularly better at G even if far more densely packed and GOOD LORD the amount of loud conversation going on. One group of four birds and a guy behind me literally Did Not Stop at any point.

Whinge aside the bass was good, the visuals nicely synced and the laser fantastic - he managed to be a whole cycle out for the downbeat bit in Collider though which was beat-perfect at G and Insides was much harder.... I think I preferred the gentler version from G it was a great reminder that he really is doing that live from near first-principles each show, it's not just pre-set loops

That's what I'm hoping for. Then I could imagine Jamie xx playing high up on JP. Which still leaves Flying Lotus. Seriously, where the hell is Flying Lotus going to play?

what with Flying Lotus' current live show he surely needs a headline spot (and on a sizeable stage at that). could he be big enough to headline West Holts? or maybe John Peel? or even Park! so hard to pin him down. if it wasn't for his current set up i would've had him in the Bonobo slot of last year but it just wouldn't work in the light

Edited by FloorFiller

what with Flying Lotus' current live show he surely needs a headline spot (and on a sizeable stage at that). could he be big enough to headline West Holts? or maybe John Peel? or even Park! so hard to pin him down. if it wasn't for his current set up i would've had him in the Bonobo slot of last year but it just wouldn't work in the light

Yeah, it's really hard to place him. I'm hesitant to suggest anyone as a Park headliner because we already have about 12 potential Park headliners.

Yeah, it's really hard to place him. I'm hesitant to suggest anyone as a Park headliner because we already have about 12 potential Park headliners.

It is hard.

All I know is that I really hope that the spot befits the artist. I think many artists can work in different environments. I think JH is less 'flexible'. Park headliner would be great, as would Glade, I presume, but that seems unlilkely if he did it last year? What else is there that would really work?

As an aside, am currentlt being mesmerised by Nils Frahm's Spaces. Fuck me, that would be good in the dark/setting sun on the Park...

Ben

Edited by bennyhana22

It is hard.

All I know is that I really hope that the spot befits the artist. I think many artists can work in different environments. I think JH is less 'flexible'. Park headliner would be great, as would Glade, I presume, but that seems unlilkely if he did it last year? What else is there that would really work?

As an aside, am currentlt being mesmerised by Nils Frahm's Spaces. Fuck me, that would be good in the dark/setting sun on the Park...

Ben

I was actually talking about Flying Lotus, not Jon Hopkins. I reckon Jon Hopkins might take the same slot Four Tet did last year, subbing the Park during/just after the sunset. I hope that's the case, he's not quite big enough to headline it but playing in the daylight would be a total waste. Apparently the Glade was rammed last year and he's only gotten bigger since then so I can't see him being back there. Lord knows where Flying Lotus will play.

Agreed about Spaces though, Says is absolutely stunning.

Edited by Winslow Leach

I was actually talking about Flying Lotus, not Jon Hopkins. I reckon Jon Hopkins might take the same slot Four Tet did last year, subbing the Park during/just after the sunset. I hope that's the case, he's not quite big enough to headline it but playing in the daylight would be a total waste. Apparently the Glade was rammed last year and he's only gotten bigger since then so I can't see him being back there. Lord knows where Flying Lotus will play.

Agreed about Spaces though, Says is absolutely stunning.

Sorry, Winslow - a shameful failure of mine to keep up with the thread!

Jon Hopkins in that Four Tet slot would be phenomenal...please be kind, Clash Gods.

Ben

It is hard.

Ben

How the hell do you know what band fits where? You've never been, but every time you talk about the place it sounds like you're a veteran! That may sound like I'm having a go, quite the opposite. Did you just watch a million videos on YouTube or something?

You're right, Nils Frahm would go well up at The Park.

How the hell do you know what band fits where? You've never been, but every time you talk about the place it sounds like you're a veteran! That may sound like I'm having a go, quite the opposite. Did you just watch a million videos on YouTube or something?

You're right, Nils Frahm would go well up at The Park.

Your observation is well-placed, S2H!

But I promise I'm not attempting to display knowledge I don't have! My obsessive reading and watching, added to experience by osmosis on this 'ere forum, allows me to feel comfortable about SOME stuff! I am careful not to offer my thoughts when I really have no idea. You must remember that although I am a GF newbie, I've got lots of transferable skills, as they say, from other festivals! Last year, BBC Online streamed P, O, WH, JPT, Park and some of Introducing pretty much from first on, to headliner end. I watched a shitload! So, for example, I know exactly what the Four Tet Park slot is/means/looked like!

Ben

Can't wait. East India Youth too! Been a while since I solo gigged, shamefully really enjoy going by myself

Did EIY support?! As if I wasn't jealous enough. Love thay guy. Was expecting him at G again. What do you think? Trying to decide on whether to get tickets for his Shoreditch gig or not...

I just really don't want Hopkins to clash with Patti or Hot Chip.

While someone who hasn't been may lack something from judging an artist's placing, they have the advantage of seeing a lot more acts so is better able to place them from that perspective.

For example, I sure as hell don't know what the Four Tet slot is like. I think the last time I saw a Park sub it was pissing it down and was just generally grim so wouldn't recommend that to anyone.

Did EIY support?! As if I wasn't jealous enough. Love thay guy. Was expecting him at G again. What do you think? Trying to decide on whether to get tickets for his Shoreditch gig or not...

I just really don't want Hopkins to clash with Patti or Hot Chip.

I can completely imagine that he'll be in the full announcement.

Although he did say that the Wow! set on Thursday night last year was the worst show he's ever played...

He killed it in William's Green on Friday though.

Played mostly the new album stuff. I still haven't got into it very much unfortunately

Reckon he's pretty likely for Glastonbury though

Hopkins shared this on his FB.

Here's a clip from Friday's encore. It's a live-only improv track that has no name but you may hear it if you see me at festivals this summer. It's great fun to play as a set closer, but doesn't really work as a recorded thing so it isn't currently planned for release.

You may note with your ears that this is the sort of thing even a statue moves to..............but you may catch a glimpse with your eyes of the backs of gawking hipster tourist heads.............how? at the end of such a gig? and this sort of tune drops and you dont move? is beyond me................An odd phenomenon is this London crowd. I will not be rushing back to share gig experiences with em for sure...............Hopkins however, I will indeed

Hopkins shared this on his FB.

You may note with your ears that this is the sort of thing even a statue moves to..............but you may catch a glimpse with your eyes of the backs of gawking hipster tourist heads.............how? at the end of such a gig? and this sort of tune drops and you dont move? is beyond me................An odd phenomenon is this London crowd. I will not be rushing back to share gig experiences with em for sure...............Hopkins however, I will indeed

That track is an absolute belter. He closed his set at Glastonbury with it last year and I annoyed my friend by repeatedly asking him what it was on the way to Mogwai. Would be good to see it get a full release; I wonder if we'll get some other new stuff this year too...

Played mostly the new album stuff. I still haven't got into it very much unfortunately

Reckon he's pretty likely for Glastonbury though

I haven't listened much either. Am waiting for him to be announced as I have so much other homework to do for the festival. I hope he does play, mind. His third stage headline set at Green Man last year was a slightly spiritual experience for me. That might, in part, be down to me having been somewhat tired and emotional...

Ben

To be fair Thom that looks so dead where you were. Left hand side (esp near the front), I can vouch, was all over the place!

The vid ain't mine (JH posted it) but it's not too far off where we where. We were nearer the front Twas my first time to Brixton and thought it would be pretty special for some reason Just ended up being really surprised that a crowd could be so passive Obviously not everyone was and of course not all Londoners are such (Soz to any London dancing looneys) but personally I have never experienced such a crowd in over 20 years in which their response was so far removed from what the music deserved

We even questioned if we were spoilt historically

@Thom I'm genuinely quite gutted for you, Brixton is a historic venue so it's a shame your first time was lacklustre. I sincerely hope it hasn't put you off London - we're not all like that, as you say! For future reference, front left is really easy to get to in Brixton due to the loos and apparently it's where it was all going on! Hope you give us another chance :)