Manics

yehbutnobut

have bands ever done full album sets at Glastonbury? let alone ones as un-commercial / not their most mainstream work like The Holy Bible?

if they headline the John Peel then i think that'd work out brilliantly (due to it no doubt being full of big Manics fans anyway if they're willing to miss the other headliners) but if they get a higher Pyramid / Other position then probably not

Not a direct answer to your question but I remember Muse doing the whole of Origin of Symmetry at Reading and Roger Waters doing all of Dark Side of the Moon at Hyde Park so at least it has been somewhat precedented in the industry.

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

both of those albums had some of the bands biggest hits on them, though, whereas The Holy Bible doesn't (not to a casual fan, anyway)

and didn't Muse's full Origin set go down rather badly? wasn't there so can't say myself but that's what i heard

i know a few bands have done full album sets at festival but obviously the bigger the band gets the more difficult it becomes, especially when that album has pretty much zero hit singles on it

Didn't Primal Scream do something like that?

ah of course they did! wasn't quite a full album set but was Screamadelica almost in full with a couple of 'hits' tacked on at the end. i guess the Manics could do the same - most of / all of The Holy Bible with Design For Life etc as the encore

Edited by FloorFiller

both of those albums had some of the bands biggest hits on them, though, whereas The Holy Bible doesn't (not to a casual fan, anyway)

and didn't Muse's full Origin set go down rather badly? wasn't there so can't say myself but that's what i heard

i know a few bands have done full album sets at festival but obviously the bigger the band gets the more difficult it becomes, especially when that album has pretty much zero hit singles on it

I saw Yeah Yeah Yeahs do the entire of 'Fever To Tell' a couple of years ago, I'd LOVE that :D

I'm sorry Mr Wire, but ever since it's been pointed out to me, that apostrophe's doing my head in. And a little '(sic)' at the end of my signature is not going to stop me feeling like I itch deep inside my bones so it's going.

I feel like a bitch for pointing it out now. But I get paid to root out rogue apostrophes for a living so letting them lie does not sit easy with me.

Bask in the knowledge that you have a better grasp of punctuation than Mr Wire!

Just seen this setlist from their gig in Manchester last month. It makes the set list Wooderson posted look positively amazing. (And they're not even playing 'faster.' How can that be? Revol is the worse song on the Holy Bible! (I know this isn't a widely held opinion)).

Plus, if they got an hour on the Pyramid, they'd probably lose the whole JDB acoustic bit, one new song, Sleepflower and Elvis Impersonator at least, then it looks very weak indeed. They have to headline the JP now or there's no chance of recovering some of the 'lost' fans.

1. Manorbier - Intro over PA
  2. (Some Kind of Nothingness Intro)
  3. (James Dean Bradfield acoustic solo)
  4. (The Stone Roses cover) (James Dean Bradfield acoustic solo, snippet)
  5. (The Smiths cover) (James Dean Bradfield acoustic solo, snippet)
  6. (James Dean Bradfield acoustic solo, snippet)
  7. (Frankie Valli cover) (James Dean Bradfield acoustic solo, snippet)
  8. (James Dean Bradfield acoustic solo)

I agree that Revol is the worst song on THB. Muppets. I hardly know anything on that setlist so it would test my patience considerably.

Don't really see them on Pyramid myself though. Other headline or sub or JP headline in my opinion.

I really think the double set thing is the best option for them at this stage. It acknowledges that different fans want different things.

Edit: OK I know a fair bit of it. I think the word I meant was 'like'!

Edited by RebeccaD

They were Pyramid headliner sized for a while there weren't they? Even if they never did it, I'd say around EMG release time they could have. Might be wrong though.

I'm assuming they will tell us in advance if it's a HB set though won't they? They bloody better had.

Is that from Journal too? You're slowly going to dripfeed the whole album aren't you?

A quick google says they headlined in 1999, along with REM and Skunk Anansie. My 22 year old self would have loved that.

As would my 16-year-old self! I loved all three bands then. Still gutted I never saw REM live.

I finally saw SA last year though, mainly for the nostalgia but it was amazing. They did Little Baby Swastika!

Here's the setlist for that Reading performance. Archives of Pain FFS! Could you imagine? And Miss Europa Disco Dancer. From the ridiculous to the sublime.

You Love Us

You Stole the Sun From My Heart

La Tristesse Durera (Scream to a Sigh)

Found That Soul

Little Baby Nothing

Kevin Carter

(with Yazek Manzano)

Motorcycle Emptiness

Motown Junk

Let Robeson Sing

Archives of Pain

Royal Correspondent

(Acoustic)

Miss Europa Disco Dancer

Everything Must Go

It's So Easy

(Guns N Roses cover)

Tsunami

Ocean Spray

(with Yazek Manzano)

If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next

A Design for Life

The Masses Against the Classes

That recent gig in Manchester, smaller venue, a set suited to touring this quieter album. Ready For Drowning's return has been popular with the fans. Yet still had the "soft metal crap" song fans semi-jokingly shouted for for years, Sleepflower!

And apparently the atmosphere was fantastic, wish I'd gone

Here's the setlist for that Reading performance. Archives of Pain FFS! Could you imagine? And Miss Europa Disco Dancer. From the ridiculous to the sublime.

You Love Us

You Stole the Sun From My Heart

La Tristesse Durera (Scream to a Sigh)

Found That Soul

Little Baby Nothing

Kevin Carter

(with Yazek Manzano)

Motorcycle Emptiness

Motown Junk

Let Robeson Sing

Archives of Pain

Royal Correspondent

(Acoustic)

Miss Europa Disco Dancer

Everything Must Go

It's So Easy

(Guns N Roses cover)

Tsunami

Ocean Spray

(with Yazek Manzano)

If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next

A Design for Life

The Masses Against the Classes

Always thought that was one of the best sets they ever did. It's So Easy too!