Brussels help and information?

Guest t8yman

Any efesters familiar with Brussels and its various districts?

We are looking to organise a little weekend away for one of my best mates' 50th Birthday. Most of us will be in the 35-50 age range, but like a good beer and a bit of a party, we all still go to many gigs and festivals so we aren't quite at the pipe and slippers stage yet!

Brussels looks like a good bet, cos we can get flights there for under £50 from manchester which isn't too much of a trek.

We are looking for somewhere with a kind of studenty, rock bar, nice beers, away from the dance club type vibe.

Original plan was to go to Ghent, because he knows the place, but for a 2 day break, its a bit too much faffing.

I can sort out hotels or hostels no problem, I just want some pointers on whereabouts to go or avoid.

Ta in advance..

Its not set in stone, I'm just tied to places that are fairly easy to get to, and not mega expensive. As I said, Ghent was our first choice, but theres at least a extra 90 minutes travelling time each way. we want somewhere with a shortish flight, from a northern airport, and the vibe I outlined above. we did Berlin a few years ago, which was ace, and right up our street, but its fookin expensive.

Its not set in stone, I'm just tied to places that are fairly easy to get to, and not mega expensive. As I said, Ghent was our first choice, but theres at least a extra 90 minutes travelling time each way. we want somewhere with a shortish flight, from a northern airport, and the vibe I outlined above. we did Berlin a few years ago, which was ace, and right up our street, but its fookin expensive.

Bruge has NO nightlife. I'd avoid that like the plague. As has already been said, Ghent is a university town and has much better nightlife. Brussels is much better than it was, you'll be able to have a good time there for sure.

I think gentlemen of your age "looking for a good time" tend to go to hamburg though...

Edited by russycarps

I have only been to Brussles once and that was too many years ago to have any relevance to what it's like today. However a quick browse informs me that;

not far from the Grand Place, the Place St Géry and the Rue de Chartreux probably constitute the mainstream heart of the city’s nightlife. There are plenty of bars open late in this area and most enjoy a lively mix of local students and visitors.

or there's also this;

For a somewhat wilder introduction to Brussels nightlife, visitors should head towards the Rue du Marche au Charbon. The heart of the gay scene in Brussels - though perhaps a touch exhibitionist for some - it’s also home to some of the very hottest bars and clubs in the city.

We've been to budapest, which was nice, we are honestly not looking for female company - so hamburg not really on the radar. there does appear to be some support finally for brussels. Prague seems to have a bit of a "stag do" vibe to it, dont think that will appeal to all.

I'm just at the early research stage at the mo, we are looking to go friday morning and fly back sunday morning/afternoon, so the minimum of travel, and the less hassle the better.

I'm personally keen on Amsterdam, but theres that stigma with Amsterdam - that may cause problems with a few of the spouses.......

Prague might be a bit cold then but in future don't discount it for the stag do's they all stick to the run from Charles Bridge down the Wenceslas square and are very easy to avoid.

The pubs my friends and I were hitting we weren't seeing any other English people, somewhere like batillion:

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/czech-republic/prague/entertainment-nightlife/bar-live-music/batalion

which is a "rock and comics" bar. One of the best rock pubs Ive ever been to, open 24 hrs, you could still smoke indoors and Budvar black, staropramen and pilsner urquell were all a pound a pint. The bar maid had this amazing full sleeve tattoo probably the hottest rock chick ive seen in my life.

We've been to budapest, which was nice, we are honestly not looking for female company - so hamburg not really on the radar. there does appear to be some support finally for brussels. Prague seems to have a bit of a "stag do" vibe to it, dont think that will appeal to all.

I'm just at the early research stage at the mo, we are looking to go friday morning and fly back sunday morning/afternoon, so the minimum of travel, and the less hassle the better.

I'm personally keen on Amsterdam, but theres that stigma with Amsterdam - that may cause problems with a few of the spouses.......