Latitude 2014

Gingerbond

Just posted to Facebook

"More names across arts and music will be announced this coming Wednesday 30th April. Happy Friday!"

Who are we hoping for? I was just on the R&L website and wonder who we'll see crossing over, personally I'd like to see Twin Shadow, hadn't heard of him last time he played, but I've since been really enjoying his two albums and the song that he did for Grand Theft Auto. Other than that, I think Sharon Van Etten and Polica should be in with a good chance, 65daysofstatic and British Sea Power are among my other big wants, but I'm not getting my hopes up too much for them.

Royksopp and Robyn's excellent new track.

I must warn you that this video features the crushing awfulness of Radio 1, but the beauty of this song will soon dispel from your brain all those thoughts about how all the listeners and contributors of that terrible station ought to be gassed quickly.

EDIT: We also have Lykke Li's new album streaming.

http://www.npr.org/2014/04/27/306154988/first-listen-lykke-li-i-never-learn

The Swedes are bringing their very best pop music to Latitude this year!

Edited by GETOFFAMYLAWN

How big is the comedy tent/arena whatever it is? Does is ever get full/have people turned away?

Pretty large, but nowhere near big enough. A big complaint that pretty much everybody has been repeating for a good few years is that it's nearly impossible to get in for the headliner or popular acts unless you come was in advance, and overcrowded throughout most of the day. When it rained quite a bit in 2012 it was rammed for nearly the entire weekend, everybody trying to keep dry.

Pretty large, but nowhere near big enough. A big complaint that pretty much everybody has been repeating for a good few years is that it's nearly impossible to get in for the headliner or popular acts unless you come was in advance, and overcrowded throughout most of the day. When it rained quite a bit in 2012 it was rammed for nearly the entire weekend, everybody trying to keep dry.

Thanks for that. We're planning om seeing a lot of comedy so it looks like we'll have to get in early for the big names.

Thanks for that. We're planning om seeing a lot of comedy so it looks like we'll have to get in early for the big names.

With any luck they'll have given it a much-needed revamp, there were loads of comments on Facebook about it after last year, so if Melvin is smart and has his ears open he'll sort it out. Having siad that, you never know how many of the site's problems are due to restrictions of the site, The i Arena is just too popular for the area it's in, with it being in a forest, there's not much to be done without moving it out of the trees, and killing off the stage's USP, and the Film and Comedy tent get a lot of soundbleed from the Obelisk (FIlm in particular suffers from this), but there's nowhere they could realistically move to.

I always thought it might be a nice thing to have a screen up (kinda between the bridge/waterfront stage & kids 'zone') where peepswho cant get in the comedy tent can sit in the sun & watch....i think the problem is he comedians playing don't like it too big. PErsonally, id prefer seeing comedy in a smaller setting (which is why the funniest people i saw last yr was David Trent & Nish Kumar, both of which played the 'Caberet' tent during the day), but thats just me. If artists hate a bigger tent, then some external screens (maybe even in the woods somewhere?) would be beneficial to everyone.......

• 3 weeks later...

Last time I was at Latitude, I hired a locker to store money & charge my phone. I see now, you can also get a portable Volt charger that you can swap when empty.

I like the locker as it keeps keys & money etc safe, but the Volt thing seems more convenient. Anyone used the service last year or at another festival? If so, what are the pros & cons? Price is nearer enough the same

Edited by Filthclough

Alison Moyet leads the latest additions to the bill for Latitude Festival.

The music additions also include Jimi Goodwin, Archie Bronson Outfit, Broods, Eaves, Hauschka, Phantogram, Seinabo Sey, Teeth Of The Sea, Transgressive present Snakehips, Simian Mobile Disco (DJ Set), Two Inch Punch, and Bless DJs, and National Portrait Gallery add The Portrait Choir: Anonymity to the line-up appearing over the weekend of Thursday 17th to Sunday 20th July 2014 at Henham Park Estate, in Suffolk.

Also confirmed for the comedy line-up is Jack Dee who brings his new show Jack Dee's Helpdesk, plus Mark Watson, and Ed Gamble.

Elsewhere new names for the Literary strand are Vivienne Westwood talking about Greenpeace's Save The Arctic Campaign with Jon Sauven & Frank Hewetson. The photographer David Bailey will also be on site, as will authors Neil Gaiman, Meg Rosoff, and Hugh Thomson.

Read more at http://www.efestivals.co.uk/news/14/140602b.shtml#SkKMUCUiyeB7oBHW.99

I don't think I'll have ever been to a festival where I've heard of so few acts. More good additions to the Comedy line up though, there ain't a lot to get me out of that tent (if I can get in in the first place).

Is the 'special guest' still being announced on the Sunday of the festival? Or was that information incorrect?

The special guest is on the Sunday of the festival. I think Melvin said they 'might not be able to announce it before the festival' but I think the announcement being on Sunday was misinterpretation.