Which legends haven't headlined yet?

Guest CardiffWanderer

Looking at the lineup over recent years, it seems that Glastonbury is keen to have at least one bona fide legend headlining the Pyramid... question is, who is actually left that is big enough for the job?

Everyone seems to be talking about Fleetwood Mac, but I simply can't believe they're be enough of a pull for headliners these days, even though no doubt plenty of people would pay good money to see them on a comeback tour. Ditto the Faces, who I saw someone else mention on here.

Here are the only 'legend' acts who haven't previously played and I think could really pull it off:

Prince

Madonna

The Stone Roses

Kylie

And, in the unlikely event of them reforming:

Led Zeppelin

The Smiths

Pink Floyd

Not to say they aren't loads of others that I would love to see, I just don't see them as being capable of pulling in a big enough crowd as Pyramid headliners. There are loads of others rock/metal acts - who are massive but wouldn't seem an obvious fit for Glastonbury (Bon Jovi, Metallica, Rage Against The Machine, Foo Fighters, Iron Maiden etc.).

Any thoughts?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But have they got the kind of following that would unite the festival's older and younger crowds? The Stones could do this, Neil Young has enough of an alternative following that he could pull it off... just not sure.

(I'm not judging Fleetwood Mac, by the way, just wondering if they're a realistic prospect.)

Kate Bush

Fleetwood Mac

Prince

AC/DC

Metallica

spring to mind. Metallica would be a great booking - saw them at Reading a few years ago - had decided to watch them for the sake of my teenage self, and was blown away. They're more than just 'metal legends' but a truly phenomenal live band and I think they'd surprise a lot of people in just how well they could fit as a Pyramid headliner.

Would personally prefer Madonna not to play... and don't particularly want Led Zeppelin or The Smiths to reform and play either - they're done, I was born too late, missed out, I've come to terms with that and, The Smiths especially, I'd rather they not ruin their legacy.