Organisation - What they still need to address

Guest airwaves

They closed that entrance into the field off during the stones and got plenty of security up there to manage it. We went in and out through that point a few times that evening and the moving back of Row mead has been a massive help in preventing Paul Simon style nastiness.

We popped for a pee after can't always get what you want, got straight out through the security guys keeping people out and were down by Mandela with a great view for the last few songs within a couple of minutes.

I'd also mention it has worked out really well removing the trees and bushes to widen that entrance by Mandela and push the bar up the hill a little, removed the crush issues of previous post-headliner moments.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me there was only one big failure - it's just too many people. Saw several proper crushes and got caught in a nasty one myself between Silver Hayes and Other. Without significantly enlarging the bridges and crossing points this can't be stopped. Similarly the pyramid and other crowds are just ridiculous now

The extra 25,000 was too much as 24,000 of those just stay at the main stages - just like with many of the other hundred thousand... they may have extra going on elsewhere but people will still go where they want to. Reduce capacity and expenditure slightly and make it a safer and more enjoyable experience for everyone

My only negative observations were the litter, which seemed particularly bad in The Park and Williams Green, and people pissing by The Other Stage. Top marks to the lads who pulled one guy's legs out from under him so that he crashed face first into his own puddle :D

It did feel a lot busier than some years. Unpleasantly so. Almost impossible to find anywhere that wasn't oversubscribed at all times.

Mixed quality of stewarding - some very over aggressive types, but also frequently no-one to be seen at crush points.

Usual lack of bin emptiers and loo cleaners. I think they all give up after a day and quit...

Pyramid Turdis row by the Cider Bus needs to be returned. Were always some of the most regularly cleaned loos at at the festival and had the numbers to make finding a decent one easy. Long drops are never the answer. Big props for the new sawdust loos in that spot though - OUTSTANDING cleanliness and smell free!!!

Campsites still lack enough toilets and water. Years of doing this and they are still trying to get 20,000 people to crap in 12 portaloos.

Putting Arcadia by the Other Stage was a w*nk idea from start to finish. Totally removed any semblance of magic about the place. Needs to be hidden away during the day.

It was still lovely though wasn't it? : )

Edited by J1mbo

Definite lack of water points around, I get that they were putting in hand sanitiser instead of sinks at many of the toilets (although it might have been a good idea to refill those when they ran out) but made topping up on drinking water throughout the day harder than it should have been.

A few times I bought bottled water from a store near our camp site as it was much closer than the actual taps. Looking at the map, the compost toilets at the east end of Pylon were meant to have a water point but didn't (the portaloos in the middle of the field didn't either, but were marked as such).

Coaches were spot on this year, great experience, left almost on time, arrived right on time, departed on time too... no queues as you're booked on a specific coach...

I've never understood why some people get the train, as you end up having to get on a bus at some point anyway, not to mention coaches have decent luggage space and you can generally get a direct journey...

And that's from someone who takes trains everywhere and only ever takes a coach once a year for Glastonbury...

Also my first Glastonbury so nothing to compare it to apart from other festivals. No real gripes, it was busy but no more than I expected and I didn't find getting around too bad at all.

The only real issue I had was the lack of water points in the campsites. The queues at peak times were horrendous, we waited 45 minutes on several occasions. Granted, this was not helped by people taking 5-10 minutes to wash their hair rather than just filling bottles (probably my ultimate festival room 101 contender) but there was definitely a shortage.

The toilets if you don't want me to piss on the land then clean and empty the toilets so that every time i open a portaloo i'm not met by a giant pyramid of poo. I've been to 15 festivals so i know what to expect with toilets but this was a step to far

Pyramid Turdis row by the Cider Bus needs to be returned. Were always some of the most regularly cleaned loos at at the festival and had the numbers to make finding a decent one easy. Long drops are never the answer. Big props for the new sawdust loos in that spot though - OUTSTANDING cleanliness and smell free!!!

The good: the idea of having two Twitter feeds, one general one for chat about the festival, and one for 'important' news and information that you could set to get push notifications from.

The bad: that feed then being used to tweet random photos and other crap, and not actually useful info like when parts of the site were shut off because of crowding.

espcially in 2010 the toilets were everywhere and cleaners also sinks hand sanatisers the lot, ( heard the issue over drinking and the mixing of the sanatisers) was expecting a breakout of dysentry were we would have all to have stayed confined to the green fields, not a bad idea come to think of it,

Sound at Arcadia. Diabolical.

Roadworks at Stonehenge. Started the day before Glastonbury (?!) Obviously planned for after the Solstice but an extra week delay would have helped traffic get away (our coach crawled through that bit after a pretty speedy exit from the site). Seemed daft.

My 9th festival (tenth anniversary!!) so....

I didn't think the crowding was that bad, expect the Stones and Chic but that was to be expected. Overall I didn't experience massive crowding but I guess (not wanting to sound like a twat) that I know how to avoid them....wait back a little longer, taker a longer route etc.

Toilets were maybe a little worse then some years but defo lack of hand sanitizer an issue.

The Arcadia sound.... We were camped in Oxleyers and went over, maybe half one, for a bit dance. Even when we where close, like on the path, it was hardly audible. Great that they've kept the sound encased for the locals, but surely that "noisy area" could be extended and still the should kept in. I remember the Glade being busing and not that noisy (ok it was, but) but tis was hush. No point have big artists in if its gonna be that quiet.

Yep, green bags no show. Normally get them on the way in but didn't have any. Had to get them from info point (no big deal) but in two occasions didn't have any.

New Glastonbury Times (or whatever it was called) never got sight of. Asked on Friday and told the printing press had broken, not up and running till Sunday. Asked on Saturday (twice) and still not been delivered (Other Stage). Gave up on the Sunday.

All in all, my bug bears my own.... Didn't move on the Thursday. Due to rain and then got too wasted to do anything. Wasted day and very annoyed wid myself. As always, didn't see half the things I wanted to but made up for in part it on Sunday by wondering.

All in all, can't say it was my best, but I never would. Like that "which is your favourite child" question... A question you can never answer ( although the Basterd child of 2007 won't be mentioned) 2013 will be looked backed with much love and may get an extra special Christmas present!!

Edited by Baby On A Stick

Very well organised as ever so only a few minor suggestions:

Some bins by the bar next to The Other Stage.

Try and widen the exit from the Dance Area going towards the Other Stage. Seems to be busy every Thursday of the festival.

Ban flags from the stage areas, Genuinely stops people seeing the Pyramid Stage.

Make people on fold up seats sit towards the back.

Sound at Arcadia. Diabolical.

Roadworks at Stonehenge. Started the day before Glastonbury (?!) Obviously planned for after the Solstice but an extra week delay would have helped traffic get away (our coach crawled through that bit after a pretty speedy exit from the site). Seemed daft.

Edited by Ommadawn

The toilets if you don't want me to piss on the land then clean and empty the toilets so that every time i open a portaloo i'm not met by a giant pyramid of poo. I've been to 15 festivals so i know what to expect with toilets but this was a step to far

Edited by Ommadawn