Beware iPhone rant

Guest Funkyfairy!

I appreciate too that my memory is no where near as accurate as a video of an event, but there remains something that no phone or tablet can ever preserve and reproduce through a media codec - the experience and the emotion. These are more important to me personally.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

comparison1.jpg

These photos show the difference between when the last 2 popes were unveiled. Not a gig I realise but it shows how obsessed people have become with documenting memories, rather than actually living their lives and creating them. Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you have to.

spot on.

Just another example of how the current crop of people in that age group are a bunch of absolute arseholes that ruin everything they get involved with. See the stone circle for further details.

No wonder most of them cant get jobs

People who have to live their life through a smartphone screen and are more interested in letting all their 'mates' know where they are, and how amazing they are for being there, are part of the generation of neo-narcissists that now seem to dominate the 16-24 year area of demographic curve.

Edited by LondonTom

Please, there are just as many as older people doing exactly the same thing, if not more as the novelty factor hasn't worn off yet.

Infact at most recent gigs, I've noticed far more of the older generations lofting their camara's in the air for the entire gig filming, wheres the younger generation are more likely to take a quick snap and upload it to Instagram with a pretty filter :P

Edited by popcornmaster

I can't stand filming at shows. The odd photo, even the odd clip seems fine, but not whole songs and the like. If I ever get the urge to keep my phone in the air for any reason, I try and think 'what if everyone here did the same thing?' - I don't understand why people think they have the right to obscure even one persons view (voluntarily..I mean if you're tall, you're tall, that's fine)..because if we all wanted to film a bands one big song or whatever, no one would be able to see at all.

More as a side note, I also agree with not really being there if you're experiencing it all through a screen. I mentioned on the 'top 5 for first timers' thread about getting involved before getting your camera out at Glasto..I saw a little of that creeping in in 2011. Not saying people shouldn't take pictures, I take lots..but I'd rather experience something than have a picture of something that I just looked at.

The discussion about demographics is interesting, I'd never thought about it like that. I agree it is mostly a problem for the younger generation..but I think it's a problem that technology will solve, if the younger generation always pick up the latest and greatest and the latest and greatest is somehow less intrusive, then wonderful! It already seems a bit silly that smartphones seem to be getting bigger and the line between them and tablets and laptops is blurring...something better has to come along, and inevitably, it will.

That contrast between 2005 and 2013 for the Pope's unveiling is really sad.

There is a correlation between the popularity of an act and the percentage of the crowd being iPhone arseholes. For this reason, I expect Mumford & Sons to have the most iPhone arseholes in attendance, though if you stay away from those sort of acts you should be fine!

EDIT: For clarification, if I do take a photo at a gig, it will be before the act comes on, or possibly even before I enter the venue. That way you can still go 'Ah nice, remember when we saw *Insert band here*'.

Edited by GlastoSimon

Can't stand it. Don't get it. *

It seems so self-involved to me. It distracts other people, especially if the person with the phone holds it up in the air actively blocking peoples views. It's also so against the idea of a collective experience. The person with the phone is saying that contributing to the atmosphere and making it a better event for everyone is far less important than them having a video to look at later and/or Youtube hits.

*I usually take a photo at a gig

It doesn't bother me generally - if there's a camera constantly in front of me i move to somewhere where there's a better view. If there's some drunken idiots in front or near me at a gig i'll stand somewhere else.

People may hate the people who stand there filming but how many of are looking on you tube after the festival has finished for some highlights of the bands you've seen over the weekend?

It doesn't bother me generally - if there's a camera constantly in front of me i move to somewhere where there's a better view. If there's some drunken idiots in front or near me at a gig i'll stand somewhere else.

People may hate the people who stand there filming but how many of are looking on you tube after the festival has finished for some highlights of the bands you've seen over the weekend?

I can see how it would annoy people if it was a large proportion of the crowd doing it constantly, but I think that most people only take a snap or maybe a short shakey cam video and there's no harm in that.

Anyone who holds up an ipad deserves to be shot, however. Just....shot, in the head, for the good of humanity.

I've been to gigs before where there have been so many cameras that I can't see the stage. I'm quite small anyway so having a camera blocking my view just adds to the frustration. Fair enough if you want a momento of the gig, but don't stand there filming the entire set! I'd prefer to have fun and appreciate the music than see it through a phone screen. I don't see the point of filming at festivals such as Glastonbury as it's all on TV/youtube this year anyway!

I take more shots of the cider bus, view from stone circle and the theatre street performer, as well as the people we meet. If I'm right up front I do take more quick photos and have done a bit of video then too. Usually my camera is below shoulder height as can see the stage fine then and won't annoy those behind me. If everyone did the same, odd snap here and there, showing a bit of respect to those behind if you have to raise camera above eye level, then it won't be the problem it is.

I was at the hammersmith odeon in march third row standing, but somebody in front was videoing almost every song. Then you get the "if he's doing it so am I" mentality and free for all. I'm not against using cameras or phones, but it doesn't take much to be courteous and aware of those around you