Future headliners, and when you think they will make the bump up.

Guest Matt42

This thread is for bands you think will soon be reading and leeds headliners.

I for one think Vampire Weekend are not far off being reading and leeds headliners if this third album does really well. I think they could headline in 2015. Depends on what other places give them the bump up.

Mumford & sons (in my guess) could also headline in 2015. Next year I reckon V will snap them up, they may play IOW aswell, but reading will get them in 2015, long after their third album is out and it'l probably be a hit!

The time is just counting down for the Vaccines headline, look it's gonna happen and it's gonna happen soon!

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Melvin has Foals down as a potential headliner. Holy Fire did very well for an album that wasn't particularly mainstream or radio friendly, and they've got decent slots at Reading as Latitude this summer. He also seems to love them.

If they pull off the Latitude headline slot I reckon they could be on for headlining R&L off the back of a new album.

This is pretty much how I see it at the moment:

Mumford & Sons- I wouldn't consider this stepping up now, they're headlining the biggest/most successful UK fest already

QOTSA- If this new album is successful & opens them up to a wider audience. Personally I'm doubtful

Florence & the Machine- Probably after her next album, unless she goes too pop orientated

Jack White- Massive back catalogue to pull from, just needs 1 or 2 more successful solo albums & then I rekon it's game on.

Noel Gallagher- I'm not sure a new album will make a difference, people know what to expect from him anyway. I could see him getting the bump if they're desperate one year, otherwise I think he'll forever be a big sub-headliner

30STM- Not too far off, Subbing Download, if the album is successful & they sell out another arena tour then they're ready.

Paramore- Again depending on the new album, the singles seem to have bombed & they've taken a more popier approach so maybe not?

Vaccines- If they sustain their popularity for a couple more years & continue to get regular radio 1 air play

Vampire Weekend- Somewhere down the line if their next album/2 albums continue to be as successful

Foals- See above

Black Keys- & again

Two Door Cinema Club- Oh & again

Pendulum- If their inevitable reunion is a success if/when it happens.

Bullet For My Valentine- Obviously going to headline Download one day if they continue as they currently are doing, I don't see them ever making it above subbing at R&L but who knows

Aveneged Sevenfold- See above

BMTH- & again

Edited by Frankly Mr Shankly

I reckon Foals will sub after another really well received new album, and then headline after that, or they might take the Bloc Party route and start making shit albums and just be stuck in limbo forever

On the topic of Paramore again, just seen this on twitter ""paramore's new album is shit" come back when your self-titled album is the number one album in multiple countries in one day"

Why do people think this is a good argument for an album not being shit? It really puzzles me, no I don't have my own "self titled album" but how does that stop theirs being awful? This goes for other bands too.

I hope Mumford never headline, I really don't understand the hype, they have maybe 2 catchy songs, and then everything else afterwards sounds the same. Marcus Mumford's face annoys me greatly too, he might not be, but he looks so up himself

I think Vaccines will probably headline on one more good album, that's again different to their first two, like Arctics did.

Maybe Noel Gallagher's Birds with another album or 2 under their belt. Thought the debut was immense, far better than Beady Eye.

And if people reckon we're going down the line of having more hip hop headliners, eg Kanye in some predictions for next year, then they should book Cudders :P

Bombed?

Now

"Now" received general acclaim from critics. David Marchese of Spin rated the song an 8/10 and praised it for being catchy, commenting ""Now" is a pretty nifty bait-and-switch" and said that Paramore has been listening to "weirder" bands. James Brindle of Burton Mail rated the song a 4/5, saying it has a "fantastically catchy chorus and showcases Hayley Williams immaculate vocals to great effect" and compared it with Blink-182's newer material. Matthew Leimkuehler of Columbia Missourian rated the song a 5/5, stating "This particular track has more of an edge to it, while still containing one of the best hooks delivered from a rock band in the last few years" and comments that the band can still deliver without the Farro brothers.

Still Into You

The song has been critically acclaimed by music critics, who commended the song as fun and catchy, and praised Williams' vocals. Musicfeeds.com called the song "a poppy, upbeat, sugary sweet number". Under the Gun also gave the song a positive review, saying "The song follows the same sonic-direction that's been shown through their first single off of Paramore, 'Now', and tells the story of Hayley Williams' longtime relationship with New Found Glory's Chad Gilbert." Alternative Press calls it one the best songs onParamore, saying "There's no question that this is still Paramore, only it's better. The chorus hook will stay in your brain for days at a time, ... and when you throw in the band's newfound embracing of electronics, you find yourself with what will ideally be one of the biggest hits of 2013."

They're a bit polarizing because of the poppier sound, but they're getting great reviews. I didn't like them at first, but really enjoyed them at the Garage the other night. The crowd was really into them as well; they were just as well-received as the rest of the set.

I'm not trying to defend Paramore here, but the four singles from Arctic Monkeys' last album reached 28, 167, 149 and 173 in the charts. I know Arctic Monkeys were a lot bigger than Paramore before that album and were already at headline status, but Suck It And See was still really successful. I don't actually have a clue what sort of position big rock songs tend to reach in the charts, but can 39 and 56 really be classed as bombing?

I'm not trying to defend Paramore here, but the four singles from Arctic Monkeys' last album reached 28, 167, 149 and 173 in the charts. I know Arctic Monkeys were a lot bigger than Paramore before that album and were already at headline status, but Suck It And See was still really successful. I don't actually have a clue what sort of position big rock songs tend to reach in the charts, but can 39 and 56 really be classed as bombing?

Mumford & Sons - either next year or the one after

QOTSA - probably next year or the year after at a stretch

30 STM- 2/3 years

BMTH - too early to say when but think they will eventually

Paramore - give it 2 years

The Vaccines - 2/3 years as much as i hate to say it

Depending on how their next album does, I reckon Gaslight could headline within the next five years. Like Biffy Clyro they just seem to be going from strength to strength. Handwritten is their Puzzles, the album that has started to gain them a fair bit of mainstream attention, if they release their Only Revolutions then they could well be on their way to headlining.

Does anyone else think Frank Turner could ever get there? Last album was pretty big, Recovery is getting quite a bit of exposure, sold out Wembley etc etc.

Wonder how Tape Deck Heart will chart. Hopefully well :).

Genuinely think Alt-J have a shot too, on their third album.

Edited by theevilfridge