The camping essentials - I've found a bargain which you all need to know about thread...

The Other Steve

i havent looked back to see if this has been mentioned already, but on the halfords website at the moment you can get a half price sleeping bag when buying a tent, and its 10% off all camping items until monday.

i just bagged myself a nice looking 2 man tent and a mummy sleeping bag for £23

Bought socks and that light from aldi, socks are very comfy and light is pretty bright

!

Messed up as what I thought was Aldi was actually Lidl when I got there lol

Anyone got any good ideas of keeping cans cold, when you don't have access to a fridge? Cool bags? Iceblocks?

Could always have a go at this, should be plenty of raw material on a farm

The Simple Method for Making Ice with Fertilizer

The method on the websites basically says a person would need equal amounts of Ammonium nitrate and water to make ice.

In order to make ice with this method, the following items are needed:

Ammonium Nitrate

A Bucket or Large Pot

A Smaller Metal Bowl

Water

Measuring Containers - At least two of these.

Mixing the coolant for making the ice:

Mix equal parts of ammonium nitrate and water in the bucket. Fill the bucket 3/4 of the way full with the mixture. Place a smaller metal bowl on top of the rim of the bucket or large pot. Fill the smaller metal bowl half full of water. It will take several hours for the water to freeze into ice.

Have fun trying

Tesco appear to be having a 'Bank Holiday Sale' in its camping section, ending next Monday. The link is HERE. The only things that jumped out at me as particularly good value were the rucksacks, as I have had a Tescos one for quite a few years now and they seem pretty good (although maybe just a little too small).

And of course I should remind people that the two-man tents listed in the sale are cheap single-skin ones which are terrible and should be avoided!

Got one of the Aldi thermal camping mats today - not tested yet - might try it down the beach if we have some sun.

Surely on the floor of the coldest room in the house in yer sleeping bag would be a better test than in warm sunshine?

Surely on the floor of the coldest room in the house in yer sleeping bag would be a better test than in warm sunshine?

Need to check the comfort/support not the thermal qualities as I'm a 'warm' sleeper.

Was thinking the sand will simulate uneven field - actually might as well lie in the garden!!

Does anyone know if dry shampoo is worth using? I'm a guy and my hair gets pretty greasy after even a day without a shower, so am considering getting some, and how often shoukd I use it?

Also thanks for whoever posted the tesco link, got quite a bit from there.

Does anyone know if dry shampoo is worth using? I'm a guy and my hair gets pretty greasy after even a day without a shower, so am considering getting some, and how often shoukd I use it?

Also thanks for whoever posted the tesco link, got quite a bit from there.

dry shampoo is a must for me. my hair gets greasy incredibly fast and dry shampoo is the best cure for that at a festival (well, there's also actual showers, but the likelihood of me going to them is slim)

dry shampoo is a must for me. my hair gets greasy incredibly fast and dry shampoo is the best cure for that at a festival (well, there's also actual showers, but the likelihood of me going to them is slim)

Will have to test it before I bring then, would you put it on every morning?