Nine Inch Nails

Guest Areophobia

I didn't hurl abuse. Just stood there and let everything happen around me

Guiding shite should never be played again. Why the fuck do they not play Citizen Erased anymore, and why are Showbiz and Muscle Museum always left out?

I don't think I've seen an act before where my 3 favourite songs by them were left out of the set!

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt it. I don't really think they need to "strip back" anyway, Showbiz is fairly complex, the best songs on BHAR are bombastic epics like Knights of Cydonia, noone would accuse OOS of being a simplistic stripped down album. What they need to do is stop trying to be Queen and go back to trying to be Radiohead. When they were trying to be Radiohead they were awesome.

Why has everyone decided that Biffy are going to be getting a 2 or even a 2 and a half hour set? Has it been announced anywhere? any quotes from organisers?

Also,some seem to think Green Day will be on for 2 and a half hours!!

Nearly every year the headliners get about an hour and a half and one of the headliners gets two hours. Why does everyone think that this year they will be getting mega sets??

Right, this is the Nine Inch Nails thread, right?

I've only watched snippets of the Fuji Rock show as I don't want to spoil their set in terms of staging and lighting. I know there was talk of them reconstructing songs beforehand, but did they do anything noticeably different?

Right, this is the Nine Inch Nails thread, right?

I've only watched snippets of the Fuji Rock show as I don't want to spoil their set in terms of staging and lighting. I know there was talk of them reconstructing songs beforehand, but did they do anything noticeably different?

Yes. I did try and get it back on track on the last page but to be fair I'm quite happy slagging off what Muse have become.

I'm trying to restrain myself from obsessively watching recordings of their shows. It's made easier by the fact I've spent most of the summer at festivals so far, and on crappy internet that can't stream properly when not.

I've had to do that restraining - after seeing them 4 times in 2009 and thinking it could be a decade before a chance to see them again, it's definitely tempting to see exactly what their doing. I've looked at the setlists, but only watched a little bit of the intro to Reptile and even that got me overexcited earlier.

As for Muse setlists - I was pretty pleased to see this one: http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/muse/2006/wembley-arena-london-england-5bd793fc.html. Muscle Museum, Citizen Erased, Butterflies and Hurricanes all in the same night was pretty epic..

Edited by DaveElNino

I've had to do that restraining - after seeing them 4 times in 2009 and thinking it could be a decade before a chance to see them again, it's definitely tempting to see exactly what their doing. I've looked at the setlists, but only watched a little bit of the intro to Reptile and even that got me overexcited earlier.

As for Muse setlists - I was pretty pleased to see this one: http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/muse/2006/wembley-arena-london-england-5bd793fc.html. Muscle Museum, Citizen Erased, Butterflies and Hurricanes all in the same night was pretty epic..

Which is a credit to how good they are live. Back in 2006 before I'd seen them NIN were another band I quite liked. After seeing them once on tour + at Reading '07 I became obsessed. I now own over 26 hours worth of music written by Trent, went to every England date on the '09 tour and will hopefully do so again next year. I did consider getting day tickets for both Leeds and Reading (and if my funds were good enough that I could have afforded to pay for a ticket I probably would have).

They are fucking FANTASTIC live. They've done 3 different kinds of sets I've seen, all excellent in their own right, have a wonderful blend and variety both within setlists and between different tours and merge in astonishing visual effects to the tracks perfectly.

Reasons:

1) Last year 2 headliners got 2h30 minute sets

2) There are 9 bands/day on the mainstage this year, in comparison to 10 which previous years had on days when headliners got 90 minute sets.

3) Biffy have talked about doing their biggest set ever.

4) The Reading Sunday headliner has, for most of the last decade, had the longest set time of the weekend.

5) Eminem is known for only doing short sets, and it's assumed that other headliners will have more extended ones to make up for it.

6) The Lumineers are playing further down that day, and as they only have 1 song, they'll only have a 5 minute set, leaving more time later in the day.

7) Half of the people who regularly post on these boards are complete fanbois for Biffy and want them to have an extended set, leading to the whole confirmation bias thing.

Take of that what you will.

Reasons:

6) The Lumineers are playing further down that day, and as they only have 1 song, they'll only have a 5 minute set, leaving more time later in the day.

7) Half of the people who regularly post on these boards are complete fanbois for Biffy and want them to have an extended set, leading to the whole confirmation bias thing..

Some good points, but I'll counter.

1) The two headliners were The Cure, who always play mammoth sets, and Foo Fighters, whose performance was basically a celebration of everything Dave Grohl, as well as their last one in quite some time.

2) My Chemical Romance, The Strokes and Pulp all got 90 minutes in 2011 and there was nine bands on each day.

3) Bands tend to talk up their plans though. Take it from me, I'm a huge Manics fan and the amount of false promises Nicky Wire has given us in the past has led to me not trusting anything bands say about themselves. :P

4) That's usually true, but not always the case. Smashing Pumpkins in 2007 and Blink 182 in 2010.

5) He'll probably get 90 minutes but I'm sure he's done two hour sets in the past.

6) :D

7) Biffy Clyro and Nine Inch Nails fanboys. So either way, it's a wet dream for them. But won't be as good as Nine Inch Nails' show in 2007, which you should regard as the bestest performance in the history of music ever if you're a true EFestivaler. ;) (Smashing Pumpkins were better that night :P )

I saw both Map and B&H at the second Emirates night.

Luckily I've managed to see Muse do pretty much all their good stuff live. I'd love to see Uno, In Your World and I'm super jealous of Agitated the other day, but other than that I'm quite happy.

Anyway I've been listening to NIN non-stop since the stream and I'm still so excited it's unreal. I don't know if its going to beat the O2 gig but its going to be pretty damn good.

Ah you got all the good rotations, except I'd have preferred Dead Star to Map (I think that's what it was rotated with?). I went to the two gigs either side of that one, so I got the bad rotations both times (except Dead Star, and I actually got both of New Born and Stockholm because they didn't rotate it one night, which was nice).