Official Offsite Pre Erected Tents etc - On sale now

Guest StoneCircle

Just seen a Tweet from GFL that they will be offering official off site camping in pre erected tents, yurts etc.

On sale from noon on Monday 14th January to ticket holders.

UPDATE: WENT ON SALE FROM SUNDAY 13 JANUARY

http://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/news/worthy-view-official-off-site-camping-announced-for-glastonbury-2013

Edited by StoneCircle

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So originally I was planning on getting a tipi for my first visit (A requirement form my wife, since we will be on our honeymoon). But this seems like a much more reasonable way to go.

I have read that there is quite the hill to go up to get to this site. Would you say it would add about 10 minutes of walking up/down a big hill compared to where the other tipis are? We are a very active couple and would not mind saving 1k if it means a little more excercise.

Thanks!

So originally I was planning on getting a tipi for my first visit (A requirement form my wife, since we will be on our honeymoon). But this seems like a much more reasonable way to go.

I have read that there is quite the hill to go up to get to this site. Would you say it would add about 10 minutes of walking up/down a big hill compared to where the other tipis are? We are a very active couple and would not mind saving 1k if it means a little more excercise.

Thanks!

Having camped up there for the last 2 glastos, I have a few comments to make.

The first time we camped it was run by Myhab and, I think I am right in saying, that there was approx 1000 people up there. The tents were put in rows and you could book 'your spot' with your team name so that you were all together. We actually took our own tents and put them up as well, oops. You could also take home the tent and I still have a few in my garage lol. With this many people, and the set up, the vibe was good, coupled with the showers, very clean toilets and pampering area for the woman in your life, it was actually 'bob on'. The car was parked 2 mins from tent and was packed with beer and supplies.

Last time (2011) was quite a different experience. With the site over sold, and tents strewn around so you could put them up where you wanted, it actually reminded me of being on the site but obviously with the added extras. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoyed the festival and massive thanks to GFL for bailing us out. It would of been chaos if they hadn't.

Generally it's a good spot if you don't mind walking, up hill. It's bad, really bad, but it's only a short walk, just very steep. There's a cool place to sit and watch from afar and it's a great view. Food and drink is also available up there for a reasonable price. The drive in and out with the car is great. If you use your noggin you can avoid most of the traffic, having said that we were heading for the M5 so not sure what it is like for other directions. I suspect it is far easier in and out generally.

My big gripe with this 'off site camping' is dealing with the ticket situation everytime you go in and out of the site. Ridiculous, but probably no other way around it. You have to show your wristband and original ticket! with this, if you are going in (or out, I can't quite remember) you are also given a stub which you need to keep, and do not lose, at any cost, otherwise you are grilled, stretched on a rack and have you eyes poked with knitting needles, hot ones. A mate of mine lost his stub and was given loads of grief. Not a great to start or end your day/night.

Overall, if you need clean toilets and like a shower then I would say go for it. If you are like me (old bugger) and like a clean, safe camping environment with cheap beer close by, do it.

Top tip. If you are unfit I would suggest a little bit of training. Something like, walking on a treadmill at it's highest setting with wellies, silly hat and a rucksack full of cans.

For those that want 'a dig' about off site camping and "it's not Glastonbury" well, Glastonbury has changed anyway. My first was 1984. Peace.

<QUOTE>

My big gripe with this 'off site camping' is dealing with the ticket situation everytime you go in and out of the site. Ridiculous, but probably no other way around it. You have to show your wristband and original ticket! with this, if you are going in (or out, I can't quite remember) you are also given a stub which you need to keep, and do not lose, at any cost, otherwise you are grilled, stretched on a rack and have you eyes poked with knitting needles, hot ones. A mate of mine lost his stub and was given loads of grief. Not a great to start or end your day/night.

</QUOTE>

I think you'll find that's the same for everyone isn't it?

Edited by Ommadawn