Arctic Monkeys

Guest monkey1989

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I'm just gonna ignore this guy, I don't mind a sensible discussion but it's just blind ignorance at times.

As for the 'who was better, Arctic Monkeys or Chic?' argument, I'm a teenager who went to go and see Arctic Monkeys over Chic and regretted it. Arctics were okay, but didn't blow me away as a live act, and that's from someone who has grown up with them. I think that says it all.

Earth Wind and Fire on West Holts next year please, I promise I won't go and see a Pyramid headline act over them - as long as it's not Fleetwood Mac :)

Edited by GlastoSimon

• 4 weeks later...

AM is a solid album, some really great singles, appealing guitar pop-tunes and witty lyrics throughout, with the odd embarrassing missteps here and there. Nothing that will surprise you or show you anything new, but never tries to and wears is open and unashamed about its influences. It's a worthwhile step in the Arctic Monkeys' canon, staying true to their past and fanbase but moving on at the same time. In other words, it's basically exactly the same kind of product as every Arctic Monkeys album.

I've been listening to it for the last few days and I remain torn. I think the first four tracks are the best they've ever written, then there is a massive lull till "Why do you only call me when you're high?" where it picks up again till the end. The middle few songs really ruins it for me.

Edit: Not quite till the end "Snap out of it" sounds like a Scouting for Girls song...no no

Good album this, really fucking good. Right up there with their first. very different, obviously, they've gone from boys to men, but yeah, properly enjoying this album. One of the things I like about them, and something which puts them in a fairly elite pantheon, is they're striving, changing and transforming with each album. Fascinating to see.

Just said this on Twitter.

Had anyone else released this album, would everyone be raving? I think not.

I'm not being critical of the album, no the songs i like, i really like, Do I Wanna Know? R U Mine? Snap Out Of It, Arabella, Why You Only Call Me When You're High? Are belter tracks, and whilst they shouldn't be comparable, because they're two different sounds but for me Suck It And See is a far better album, there isn't a bad song on the album (imo), and every song could easily be in the setlist and not many people would complain.

It's frustrating really in many ways, because as much as i want to get carried away with the hype, i find i really can't! I love the Arctics, seen them many a times, and it's a true testament to them that they can't mix up their style so often, and the way Alex Turner's lyrics flow in most songs, is great, but AM gets a 3/5 for me! It may improve over time mind.