Newbies at Glasto 13

Guest Kristina_225

Hello, another Glastonbury newbie here, been following the festival for years and this year I finally get to go! Not only that but I get to celebrate my 28th birthday in the best place on earth; something I've wanted to do for over 12 years! Been to quite a few festivals in my short time, as a performer, photographer, superfan teen, passed out loon, lone ranger, and more recently mother hen to first timers but always always a great appreciator. I'm looking forward to the entire experience and meeting some lovely people to party/banter with, and since I reas this forum almost every day I thought I'd start now! Haha! Su, hi all

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the advice, everyone! We will likely still just buy/rent our camping equipment onsite. I'll keep checking out the cosycamper website so see if they offer services this year.

I've considered Worthy View, but I don't have the budget it requires. And I want to camp onsite! That's part of the experience!

Hey,

A glasto newbie here (although ive been an armchair fan for a hell of a long time!)

From reading this thread and many many others, it seems there are quite a few glasto virgins like myself posting on here, might be quite cool to start our own thread / facebook page / etc to have a bit of chat and share little tips and tricks we are acquiring..................

And maybe some will end up meeting for a icder at Glasto itself!! Excited.com!

well if they had used the word some that would be fine but when you use the word most this does imply that they have some research to back up their claim which I doubt they have .
after 34 years I don't have a clue what I felt as I am sure I was busy trying to drive though the site to get to the campsite and seeing the site has expanded a great deal I would imagine for anyone new it would be impossible to take it all in.

Also a newbie, think I winding up my friends and family as its all I seem to talk about at the minute!

Torts Glasto guide is a great read.

Would love to meet some other Glasto virgins and veterans once me and Mrs Sinks get there as a bit of a guide as I can see me being totally overwhelmed

Just enjoy the feeling of being overwhelmed. That realisation of how vast and wonderful the festival is is a feeling to treasure and remember.

I often 'rewind' my memories of the first 24 hours I spent at Glastonbury- the size, the noise, the knowledge that there is another way of life than the 9-5.

A little bit of Glastonbury will stay with you forever.

• 3 weeks later...

I may be asking a stupid question here but it says we have to decant our alcohol into plastic bottles? Does this include a crate full of cans? So if I was trying to enter with 10 cans would they take them off me if they weren't in plastic bottles? Also will I be ID'd on entrance? (I understand I'm likely to be at the bars. Please try not to lecture me about underage drinking I'm aware it's illegal but am particularly sensible)

I may be asking a stupid question here but it says we have to decant our alcohol into plastic bottles? Does this include a crate full of cans? So if I was trying to enter with 10 cans would they take them off me if they weren't in plastic bottles? Also will I be ID'd on entrance? (I understand I'm likely to be at the bars. Please try not to lecture me about underage drinking I'm aware it's illegal but am particularly sensible)

Edited by whisty

I was working the bars for all 3 of the stone roses gigs and after the first day 50 staff across the site refused to come back,

On the first day g4s didn't supply enough staff to organise the queuing system that was suppose to be in place and they buggered off halfway through the shift, this meant that everyone was just converging on one part of the bar, we were serving constantly but more and more people just kept forcing their way forward and refused to let people move, when Primal Scream came on there was an incredible surge and people started climbing over the barriers, into the bar area as they were being crushed (this is when all hell breaks loose) hundreds of people then climbed over the barrier, into the bar grabbing anything they could, slashing lines to the machines so the bar had to stop serving and riot police were brought in and a helicopter to get things under control, in about half hour of madness about £30,000 worth of stock was lost, Including damage to machines, and the gig very nearly got shut down and the licence taken away for the weekend...

there were big changes made for the Saturday and Sunday that stopped this from happening again