Newbies at Glasto 13

Guest Kristina_225

Glasto newbie here as well! A friend and I are coming from the US; we've been planning this trip for a while! We know we are very lucky to have snagged tickets.

We're no strangers to music festivals, but Glastonbury will be a whole new experience since we'll be limited to what we can bring.

Anyone else traveling a good distance to get to Glasto? Advice?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To Dot Warner out American friend, heres my best tips!

- Valubles: Dont bring anything that would upset you if you lost of broke it. PLEASE use the lockups if that stuff must come with you.

- If you are staying with any friends in the UK before/after the festival, leave very important things like your passport with them (if you trust them with it!). You wont need it at Glasto, any other photo ID like your drivers license will suffice, which presumably is easier to replace than a passport!

Avoid the temptation of bringing expensive cameras and gadgets. I took a camera once and it was a burden more than anything, and barley used it anyway cos we were having too much fun! Buy or bring with you a cheap phone and buy a UK pay as you go sim card for your time at the festival. The battery will last the whole weekend and you wont have time to be calling home anyway.

- Prepare for all weather!! Weather could range from blazing hot 80 degree sunshine to 55 degrees and constant rain!

- you can bring any booze you like, as long as you decant it into plastic bottles beforehand. You can also take your own booze anywhere on site.

In comparison, the only American festival i've ever been to is Coachella. Glasto is a COMPLETELY different experience!! Any questions, feel free to PM me :-)

Hi, although I've never camped here (campervan softie), like others, I'd suggest you camp away from the bins, toilets, but also paths as I saw many mudslides onto tents as the days go on. Maybe check on any flags nearby to help track down your tent later on. My daily survival kit was baby wipes (for the loos and personal hygiene) and hand sanitiser, and metal bottles for water and/or booze, with food from all the over the site, thanks to others' postings here. The lockups sound a great idea, and once you secure any valuables, you're set up for a fantastic festival. I think Glastonbury has a great vibe, and although I use clashfinder for the music, the non-music acts and activities also are great to to go see. Re drugs, I only take booze and caffeine, and I must not look young and trendy enough (*sigh*) as I've never been offered any here.

Cannot wait for June!! :biggrin:

Thanks everyone!

I've been lurking here for about 6 months and have read so much good advice in the threads. I have read Tort's Glasto guide several times over the past three years (that's how long we've been planning this trip), I feel like I know the man! And no worries, I will not be bringing valuables, as I will be leaving all of that in London with my friend's husband.

My main concern is camping equipment. We are planning on buying/renting our items on site. Is there a way to reserve equipment ahead of time? Or do we just wait until we get to the festival to purchase it?

Thanks everyone!

I've been lurking here for about 6 months and have read so much good advice in the threads. I have read Tort's Glasto guide several times over the past three years (that's how long we've been planning this trip), I feel like I know the man! And no worries, I will not be bringing valuables, as I will be leaving all of that in London with my friend's husband.

My main concern is camping equipment. We are planning on buying/renting our items on site. Is there a way to reserve equipment ahead of time? Or do we just wait until we get to the festival to purchase it?

Edited by mr gumby

Thanks everyone!

Thanks everyone!

Could you order your camping kit online and have it delivered to your friend's place in London if you're going there first? At least that way you can start setting up as soon as you're on site rather than having to find a stall, queue and then start trying to find a spot to camp. Even if you just buy a tent in advance and then buy airbeds and blankets etc on site.

Being able to carry your own alcohol is a massive plus and not just because it makes it cheaper, but for me no queueing up at the bar is almost as big an advantage.
Need to carry some spirits with you or something strong as it is not so heavy and you can have a quick sip if you find yourself sobering up.
I carry turbo woo-woo with me :)

I'll second that worthy raver! At BT live last year I honestly spent an hour queuing up for drinks (luckily when New Order were on haha) it was ridiculous! I'll be bringing my hip flasks with me that we used to sneak stuff in last time I went to Leeds :) probably filled with skittle vodka as it doesn't need a mixer!

Hi all, Glasto newbie here too! Really looking forward to it, can't wait for line up to be announced -I find it mad that they won't announce until so close to the festival! Very happy we can take our own alcohol in to the arena, this will save me time and money compared to other festivals!!

I'll second that worthy raver! At BT live last year I honestly spent an hour queuing up for drinks (luckily when New Order were on haha) it was ridiculous! I'll be bringing my hip flasks with me that we used to sneak stuff in last time I went to Leeds :) probably filled with skittle vodka as it doesn't need a mixer!

Thanks everyone!

I have read Tort's Glasto guide several times over the past three years (that's how long we've been planning this trip), I feel like I know the man! And no worries, I will not be bringing valuables, as I will be leaving all of that in London with my friend's husband.

ah old son this has made me smile whilst i sit here in pain [ my back lol ]

didnt you make some up last year as well old son ??

we will HAVE to meet up and have a dram ill prob start cooking my brew up soon so ill try and pop so pics up .

got some KICKING orange wine ill be taking its only 3 years old but its a goodun

heres quite a good site although we have our own recipe .......

http://www.homebrewingguide.co.uk/category/recipes/.

Edited by whisty

Hello, another Glastonbury newbie here, been following the festival for years and this year I finally get to go! Not only that but I get to celebrate my 28th birthday in the best place on earth; something I've wanted to do for over 12 years! Been to quite a few festivals in my short time, as a performer, photographer, superfan teen, passed out loon, lone ranger, and more recently mother hen to first timers but always always a great appreciator. I'm looking forward to the entire experience and meeting some lovely people to party/banter with, and since I reas this forum almost every day I thought I'd start now! Haha! Su, hi all